HELP! All Weakauras gone!

As the title says, I've lost ALL of my Weakauras today. HUNDREDS of hours work....I'm about to cry..

I was just playing, did nothing special. I didn't even changed something in weakauras.
    No new addons, no new config, I changed NOTHING. Just played.

I logged out and turned my computer off.

2 hours later I came back and all auras are gone.

I'm desparate.

WeakAuras.lua = 100bytes
    WeakAuras.lua.bak = 1kb
    WeakAurasOptions.lua = 10mb
    WeakAurasOptions.lua.back = 8mb

It seems, even my WeakAuras.lua, which should contain every aura I made, got corrupted and lost everything...
    Last edited by Platinengel; 2016-02-06 at 07:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Platinengel View Post
    As the title says, I've lost ALL of my Weakauras today. HUNDREDS of hours work....I'm about to cry..

I was just playing, did nothing special. I didn't even changed something in weakauras.

I'm desparate.

WeakAuras.lua = 100bytes
    WeakAuras.lua.bak = 1kb

It seems, even my WeakAuras.lua, which should contain every aura I made, got corrupted and lost everything...

Hmm, if your WeakAruas.lua file is only 100kb, it sounds like somehow all of your data got overwritten. Mine is 2.5MB. You could check if Windows (assuming you use Windows) has any previous versions of that file saved (right-click it and select Restore Previous Versions).
    That is not dead which can eternal lie.
    And with strange aeons even death may die.

This happens to one of my guildies who uses a TON of weakauras every now and then. We aren't sure why it happens, but the key is just to keep your WTF file backed up (or the entire folder for that matter, might as well backup other addons while ur at it) and just replace it if you randomly lose all ur auras.

Sir, I owe you a beer.

That "previous versions"-option helped.

Assuming you look like your avatar, i'd go so far to say "I love you"

Thanks!

10+ Year Old Account
    Glad it helped!
    That is not dead which can eternal lie.
    And with strange aeons even death may die.

Quote Originally Posted by Bormes View Post
    This happens to one of my guildies who uses a TON of weakauras every now and then. We aren't sure why it happens, but the key is just to keep your WTF file backed up (or the entire folder for that matter, might as well backup other addons while ur at it) and just replace it if you randomly lose all ur auras.
    The best practice is to back up only the WTF and Interface folders. It's the entirety of what the game needs to make a custom installation. They can replace directly the folders on a completely different PC and the game will be identical.

- - - Updated - - -

An exception is custom audio files and whatnot but that's rare.

Quote Originally Posted by Platinengel View Post

I'm desparate.

WeakAuras.lua = 100bytes
    WeakAuras.lua.bak = 1kb

So, there's a report about a similar thing happening here: http://www.wowace.com/addons/weakaur...rings-deleted/

I have no clue though, since neither of you apparently got any error messages, nor was anything changed in how the settings are handled in ages.

It happened to me when I crashed once or twice. It might have something to do with those zombie wow.exes happening now and then lately. If a shutdown occurs they may take configs with them.

Quote Originally Posted by InfusOnWoW View Post
    So, there's a report about a similar thing happening here: http://www.wowace.com/addons/weakaur...rings-deleted/

I have no clue though, since neither of you apparently got any error messages, nor was anything changed in how the settings are handled in ages.
    This has happened to me twice (I have backups saved in 2 places so it's not a big deal) and has happened to several of my guildies. There is never any sort of error given when it happens. One of the times it happened to me I had just installed a friends WA package to double check it for him and forgot I had already had it installed. It seemed like when I did that something in WA clashed hard and my game started to feel sluggish, I relogged and when I got back online everything was gone. The other time it happened to me my game crashed while I was doing dailies and when I logged back in all my auras were gone. Seems like it MIGHT be auras clashing with themselves after a game crash/double aura installation in my cases, but I know very little about how this stuff actually works so it is a complete guess on my part.

Not sure if this is helpful to you in any way at all but figured I'd share it.