Thread: Tank's Job?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    As a tank you can turn a lot of them off since he isn't really doing anything up top for awhile that requires the tank to be right on him. As for somebody calling the 1 person that lived an idiot they need to look inward first and realize they shit the bed and the tank survived.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Alys View Post
    He does 2 conduits, then 4 conduits, then 6 conduits, then 8 conduits given the fight last for 4 minutes, each being a minute interval or so. If you push him fast past a certain percent, he could skip from activating 2 to say activating 6. With DPS now a days, its common to see groups damage him down to the point where he only has time to activate either 6 or 8 conduits.
    He does 2 conduits at 75%, 4 conduits at 50%, and 8 conduits at 25%. What are you even talking about.

@OP, the dungeon journal isn't really a good tool. It's better than not checking anything at all, but you should go by experience, asking others players, maybe looking at videos or something.
    For this specific boss, it's a good idea to have the tank do it, since you'll be taking less damage, and that the DPS can just afk on the platform. Using army on pull may lead to the boss bugging out and not casting conduits. Leaving one conduit up and clicking it right before the next conduit phase will make you skip that conduit phase aswell.

10+ Year Old Account
    Once its just you left, then whittling the boss down like that is the way to go. But as others have pointed out, tanks make the best people for doing conduits in the first place, and a healer should be able to keep you up while doing that pretty easily. As a dps I usually grab one of the close ones, but unless you are a class with movement bursts or decent defensives the ones further away from the stairs are going to be challenging to live through. Still, if the dps wasn't able to handle doing it, they should have said something to you to do it, not just run out and died.

Thanks all. I feel like I've learned something and have better perspective now. So I could have done it, and nothing bad would have happened because I ran away and stopped tanking boss, the damage below isn't AoE but is dangerous if you don't dodge it, we should probably agree before pulling boss on which strat we're using. That about cover it? Thanks again.

Deleted
    Just... Never rely on what the dungeon journal says is your job... If you can do a job, just do it, even if it's a dps job..., At least that way you know it will be done... I don't get the whole 'dungeon journal doesn't say it's my job so I don't do it' thing...

I mean basically you pop legendary ring on pull and kill him in 20 seconds from my experience.

But if you actually don't have the dps in group to do that, then yeah, tanks/hunter/warrior are all good for getting conduits since you can disengage and heroic leap back up to the platform. Also make sure you're bugging him to skip the last conduit phase. For the first round, open 2 conduits quickly, for the second round, open 3 of them, but leave the last one. When he's at 27-28% hp, open the last conduit and push him below 25% during the stun. You won't get a third round.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacksel View Post
    Just... Never rely on what the dungeon journal says is your job... If you can do a job, just do it, even if it's a dps job..., At least that way you know it will be done... I don't get the whole 'dungeon journal doesn't say it's my job so I don't do it' thing...
    I'm not stuck on using the dungeon journal; it's just that I hadn't seen it done differently so hadn't occurred to me. I just started playing again in December, leveled a couple of toons from 85-100 (last time I played was Cata), and started tanking mythics maybe 3 weeks ago. I have successfully tanked all of them now, but I'm sure there's still a few tricks I haven't seen - I don't have them all on speed dial like some of you who've been running them for months.

If the other player had suggested, "Hey why don't you go down and get the conduits; it's ok for tank to ignore this boss", I would have been happy to. Since we didn't have that discussion, I just did what had worked for me on previous mythic runs (at least a couple). Was actually surprised when everyone kept dying; that hadn't happened on other runs. Usually I've just stayed on boss and everything went smooth. I guess someone who knew how was handling conduits without needing to talk to me on those runs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Saiyoran View Post
    I mean basically you pop legendary ring on pull and kill him in 20 seconds from my experience.

But if you actually don't have the dps in group to do that, then yeah, tanks/hunter/warrior are all good for getting conduits since you can disengage and heroic leap back up to the platform. Also make sure you're bugging him to skip the last conduit phase. For the first round, open 2 conduits quickly, for the second round, open 3 of them, but leave the last one. When he's at 27-28% hp, open the last conduit and push him below 25% during the stun. You won't get a third round.
    Oh that's a good trick. I'll try to remember that.

7+ Year Old Account
    Easiest way to do this boss - Conduits come at 75%, 50% and 25 %. At 75% when the first conduits come up there will be 2 of them.
    As the DK tank - wait for the passing orb and click ONE of the orbs (use your AMS if you're going to get hit(, leave the last conduit up till around 52%, at 52% click the last conduit. This will mean the dps continue dpsing him from 75% with the shield up - when you click the final conduit at 52% it will stun the boss and you will skip the 50% conduit phase - then at 25% have everyone help get the conduits and pew pew.

As a DK tank you can pretty much control this with AMS, just say you'll get the first conduits and tell the dps to easy up at 55% - then when the boss is stunned push him under 50% - then everyone can help get the last phase conduits.

Quote Originally Posted by DarklingThrush View Post
    On mythic Orebender Gor'ashan (UBRS) today, everyone but my blood dk died - guessing they weren't timely in handling power conduits? I b-rezzed healer (who eventually died again) and kept whittling away at boss - he does take damage just not as much. Eventually killed him but it took maybe 2 minutes. Rezzed the group and threw down a feast. Party leader was a dps who asked if I was a moron for killing him slow way instead of going down to get conduits.

Just wondering if most groups do it that way and I've missed it? I mean, I've cleared mythic UBRS a few times but I'm always happy to learn and improve. Dungeon journal doesn't list that as tank's job, and other groups I've been in haven't asked that of me. I tried doing the conduits solo one time when I first started doing mythics, but died to the Shrapnel Nova without healer there to help. I knew by staying on platform I would eventually kill him.

Standing by to listen and learn...
    yeah. screw the dps if they don't want to handle the conduits.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

Quote Originally Posted by DarklingThrush View Post
    On mythic Orebender Gor'ashan (UBRS) today, everyone but my blood dk died - guessing they weren't timely in handling power conduits? I b-rezzed healer (who eventually died again) and kept whittling away at boss - he does take damage just not as much. Eventually killed him but it took maybe 2 minutes. Rezzed the group and threw down a feast. Party leader was a dps who asked if I was a moron for killing him slow way instead of going down to get conduits.

Just wondering if most groups do it that way and I've missed it? I mean, I've cleared mythic UBRS a few times but I'm always happy to learn and improve. Dungeon journal doesn't list that as tank's job, and other groups I've been in haven't asked that of me. I tried doing the conduits solo one time when I first started doing mythics, but died to the Shrapnel Nova without healer there to help. I knew by staying on platform I would eventually kill him.

Standing by to listen and learn...
    I would've personally responded that at least I was alive to beat him down slowly.

That aside, yeah it's usually the tank's job to get the conduits. I've occasionally see rogues do it since they're better tbh, but that's another story.
    STRESS
    The confusion caused when one's mind
    overrides the body's basic
    desire to choke the living shit out of
    some jerk who desperately needs it

Quote Originally Posted by Alys View Post
    You actually took the time to write a thread about this? This is shameful, it's a damn dungeon, lol!

How that boss works is you literally need at least 1 person to run around and click each of the activated power conduits (It goes even faster if you have 2-3 people do it, it like really shouldn't even be worth a posting about). When you mention "what cool downs should be used" or whatever, this just made me cringe! You can do the power conduits without taking any damage as long as you avoid the giant damn balls of lightning, so cooldowns should be irrelevant lol!

I play a Shadow Priest, and I do the conduits just for the shear fact I as a player know what I am doing and also know that my dps meters on this boss literally don't matter, cause it's a damn dungeon lol. At most I dot up the boss and drop feathers to click the conduits faster. Worst case (or if I wana jump through a electrical storm) I use disperse to avoid damage, but again it's an easily avoidable mechanic... As disc/holy, I do the same thing, just run and click, keep a HoT or bubble on the tank, as the mechanic takes about 10-15 seconds to do (while still being able to target the tank mind you #instaspells)

As a tank, you can also break the conduits, and I can only imagine why the leader gave you crap was because he can't avoid the damage or cared too much about his dungeon DPS, which makes him a noob in either scenario.

My brain is numb, and the fact you could not confidently answer your own questions (or even the fact you HAD to look at the dungeon journal) makes me question your sanity and capabilities to observe the world as a player, especially after you've cleared this dungeon multiple times on Mythic, and I am sure numerous more times on Heroic/Normal (same mechanic all difficulties).

DEL THREAD

- - - Updated - - -

He does 2 conduits, then 4 conduits, then 6 conduits, then 8 conduits given the fight last for 4 minutes, each being a minute interval or so. If you push him fast past a certain percent, he could skip from activating 2 to say activating 6. With DPS now a days, its common to see groups damage him down to the point where he only has time to activate either 6 or 8 conduits.
    You're my hero, pls have my babbies because your l33tness @ wow makes my panties so moist. Thank you wowjesus for taking your time to inform us of your abilities

It's the job of the DPS to get the conduits. In CMs, however, we had everyone jump down to hit the conduits on their assigned side.

This sort of shit is why I stopped tanking for pugs. OP did good, saved a wipe, rezed em all, fed em and promptly was bitched at by some twat. You did what you felt was best and won the fight, if the dps wanted to kill it faster they should not have gotten themselves killed.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanEX View Post
    I would've personally responded that at least I was alive to beat him down slowly.

That aside, yeah it's usually the tank's job to get the conduits. I've occasionally see rogues do it since they're better tbh, but that's another story.
    Well rogues are faster, anyway. I love my DK but he's no speed racer.