Page 58 of 58 FirstFirst ...
    Ok, the Nostalrius news brought the current quality of vanilla private servers to my attention, and I've been playing on a popular private server for a few weeks now. I think anyone poopoo'ing this idea needs to try it before they comment... Sure, there are some quality of life improvements in the game that I miss from live, but when I really think about it - most of them have contributed to the issues I have with the live servers. Quest mobs respawning almost instantly after being killed keeps you from having to group up with others in the area, for example.

I'm loving the whole vanilla experience. Real talent trees, quests that take you all over a zone, 10 minute graveyard runs when you die (encourages you to think before you pull), etc. It's going to take me several months to hit 60 at the rate I'm going (I'm actually playing more than one class so that I can play with different sets of friends who play at different times). Then I would actually consider joining a raiding guild since I never got to see any vanilla raids back in the day.

Yes, eventually I will run out of content that I'm interested in seeing. I'm a long, long ways from that right now (you forget just how big the original vanilla experience was sometimes). If Blizzard created real vanilla servers, I would pay just to play there for a long time. And if they also provided progression servers so that my toon could someday move on to BC content - I'd do that as well. (I don't know how far I'd take it though - probably not past WotLK) I know from the massive numbers of people I've seen online on the private server that I'm not alone. Is it enough to make it worth Blizzard's time? I really don't know, but I really REALLY wish they'd give it a try instead of telling me that I think I want it, but I don't...

Quote Originally Posted by Marcellus1986 View Post
    There is no valid argument for private realms. Just ignorant kids whining with their rose tinted goggles on. I was in a server first guild that cleared almost the entirety of content (3 fights left in Naxx when BC launched) and I've played since Dec. 3, 2004. Vanilla was and will always be shit. It was a buggy, often unplayable crapfest with no real upsides other than social interaction.
    What an absurd comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaelexi View Post
    Where do you get double the subscriber count. Nost has around 100k subs and 30k active. Even if half of those came over to pay to play option that would be 15k active subs, add in maybe another 15k from other options and get 30k total. That is a far cry from 6 million that they have for subs currently that will expand to 8 million when legion launches and taper back off to 5-6 million again. the under 1% increase is not worth the effort of going backwards. Companies that move forwards are successful, companies that stagnate or worse regress fail.
    800,000+ accounts and 150,000 were active (logged in at least once in the last ten days before shut down). Since number projections are conjecture you are looking at a 2% increase with a possibly higher total as there are a lot of Veterans of early WoW. If they could bring back 150k subscribers that's $23-27 mil per year if it stays on the current payment plan. I'd say that kind of cash is worth a deep look.

So many people seem to think that we, the people who actually played vanilla, don't understand or remember things correctly. Not all of us are senile, yet, and we do remember the good AND the bad. The funny part is is that the bad is also what made it fun. Ya, balance was screwy because classes weren't the same, Ya everything took longer but you got a worthwhile reward, Ya I remember playing WoW before paladins got crusader strike and it was the most fun I ever had in a game.

I still go back and play old games. You know why? They were good: starcraft, warcraft 2 and 3, final fantasy, and maNY others including Crash Team Racing. I grew up in a world that you played with the toys you had and you learned to appreciate them both the good and the bad.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    What an absurd comment.
    Tell me about it. If what he says is true, then it wasn't the game's fault he burnt out. I started playing shortly after he did and vanilla was the peak of my fun in the game once TBC came I lost a lot of interest so stopped logging in as much. I unsubscribed the first time as ICC came out. I tried out Cata and was disappointed. I can't remember when exactly it was, I think it was mists, I had a fun time with my ret healer when that was a thing as it reminded me of my vanilla days when being a hybrid class was beneficial. When that was gone, I tried really hard to pull off a shockadin in WoD but it was never the same. The fun just evaporated completely.
    Welcome to New Blizzard where everything ages backwards, dead servers are left gasping for breath, homogenization is disguised as uniqueness, leveling mirrors the progression of travel in the last 150 years, and gold is just a nuisance.

The old world was fun. The vast majority are gone that were playing back then, and for people like myself that are old school players the game was fun because it provided a truly interesting world that didn't offer easy rewards. Although I remember leveling different weapons off of a bugged mob, that was a bonus. But you had to make friends to succeed. Today I came home on a Friday night and really missed Nost, I played there the past year. I wanted to log into my toon and go level a character for a level (which would take a few hours), and it just wasn't there. Sure I could log into retail and do that, but it just wouldn't give me the same utility as Vanilla. Why? Because it just wasn't the same experience.

There's a difference when you have a UI telling you where you need to go and LFG being the easy way out. I could spend 2 hours after a hellish day at the office running around Barrens just for a few quests and half a level... and today... I am unfulfilled. I still play retail, it's just not as much fun. I'm in the camp that played both, and while retail is extremely polished, there's just something about going to old Ashenvale and ganking the shit out of someone while running to the Strand. What are they going to do? Log into their 90 and gank me for hours from the sky? Hell no, back then this required real planning.

Brack's not been a fan of Legacy forever. We know this, he's said it multiple times. This statement was all PR. He came from SWG ffs, he just better dealed his own situation because his own game was improved upon when WoW hit the scene. Blizz spent years refining it to release what Vanilla was, and in the end they beat everyone at their own game. The game appealed to those of us who were looking to lose ourselves in a fantastic world for hours, days on end, and became something we don't recognize today. If you were only about raids then modern day WoW is your ticket. If you didn't have an interest in playing the game like a religion, the game today is your new birth. But for many of us the game was interesting and engrossing not for it's flaws, but for what it offered, and we put it on the map.

The Pristine idea is not something I would even entertain playing. I believe they've officially gone off the rails and lost touch with the former playerbase. It was never about the creature comforts, it was always about the game they created. While we all know the story, it had replayability that lasted and transcended a decade. The folks at Nost gave many of us a window into our former selves if only for a year, but that year was probably one of the greatest on record not seen in many years of Warcraft. I know I'm grateful I discovered them in time to have had the chance and time to spend it seeing what I loved about Warcraft. It only made me a bigger fan. I only wish my fan-dom was rewarded by the folks in charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Idletime View Post
    The old world was fun. The vast majority are gone that were playing back then, and for people like myself that are old school players the game was fun because it provided a truly interesting world that didn't offer easy rewards. Although I remember leveling different weapons off of a bugged mob, that was a bonus. But you had to make friends to succeed. Today I came home on a Friday night and really missed Nost, I played there the past year. I wanted to log into my toon and go level a character for a level (which would take a few hours), and it just wasn't there. Sure I could log into retail and do that, but it just wouldn't give me the same utility as Vanilla. Why? Because it just wasn't the same experience.

There's a difference when you have a UI telling you where you need to go and LFG being the easy way out. I could spend 2 hours after a hellish day at the office running around Barrens just for a few quests and half a level... and today... I am unfulfilled. I still play retail, it's just not as much fun. I'm in the camp that played both, and while retail is extremely polished, there's just something about going to old Ashenvale and ganking the shit out of someone while running to the Strand. What are they going to do? Log into their 90 and gank me for hours from the sky? Hell no, back then this required real planning.

Brack's not been a fan of Legacy forever. We know this, he's said it multiple times. This statement was all PR. He came from SWG ffs, he just better dealed his own situation because his own game was improved upon when WoW hit the scene. Blizz spent years refining it to release what Vanilla was, and in the end they beat everyone at their own game. The game appealed to those of us who were looking to lose ourselves in a fantastic world for hours, days on end, and became something we don't recognize today. If you were only about raids then modern day WoW is your ticket. If you didn't have an interest in playing the game like a religion, the game today is your new birth. But for many of us the game was interesting and engrossing not for it's flaws, but for what it offered, and we put it on the map.

The Pristine idea is not something I would even entertain playing. I believe they've officially gone off the rails and lost touch with the former playerbase. It was never about the creature comforts, it was always about the game they created. While we all know the story, it had replayability that lasted and transcended a decade. The folks at Nost gave many of us a window into our former selves if only for a year, but that year was probably one of the greatest on record not seen in many years of Warcraft. I know I'm grateful I discovered them in time to have had the chance and time to spend it seeing what I loved about Warcraft. It only made me a bigger fan. I only wish my fan-dom was rewarded by the folks in charge.
    Perfectly highlights the feelings of many original players. Thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

https://twitter.com/NostalBegins/status/726588226870202369

Dev team promised you something special... more information tomorrow
    I can only just hope.
    Welcome to New Blizzard where everything ages backwards, dead servers are left gasping for breath, homogenization is disguised as uniqueness, leveling mirrors the progression of travel in the last 150 years, and gold is just a nuisance.

Quote Originally Posted by Greelix View Post
    800,000+ accounts and 150,000 were active (logged in at least once in the last ten days before shut down). Since number projections are conjecture you are looking at a 2% increase with a possibly higher total as there are a lot of Veterans of early WoW. If they could bring back 150k subscribers that's $23-27 mil per year if it stays on the current payment plan. I'd say that kind of cash is worth a deep look.

So many people seem to think that we, the people who actually played vanilla, don't understand or remember things correctly. Not all of us are senile, yet, and we do remember the good AND the bad. The funny part is is that the bad is also what made it fun. Ya, balance was screwy because classes weren't the same, Ya everything took longer but you got a worthwhile reward, Ya I remember playing WoW before paladins got crusader strike and it was the most fun I ever had in a game.

I still go back and play old games. You know why? They were good: starcraft, warcraft 2 and 3, final fantasy, and maNY others including Crash Team Racing. I grew up in a world that you played with the toys you had and you learned to appreciate them both the good and the bad.
    They will not get 150k subscribers back, there is a portion that plays there because it is free, I know some personally. They love WoW but can not afford to pay for it so they play on free pirated servers. Then there are also a portion that are current wow subscribers that play both(i have 5 in my guild currently)And even if they did there is not enough ROE at 25 million a year(for maybe one year) the sub base in this would die off as well and more realistically it would be maybe 10-15 million taken in net, that will barely cover the development and maintenance costs to keep a second game with a player base of 50,000 players(being generous) up and going. And yes this would be a second game and not just another wow server, just like the Beta/Alpha servers a second game but a necessary portion of the development cycle for the current game.