Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kubasniak View Post
    I think the RoP is finally in a good place.
    RoP sounds useful but it's at this counter-intuitive state to think by numbers alone that we would need beta access to know if it's proper. Hopefully the beta will be very open this time. This Overwatch beta and the movie might make them use it as a full-on demo.

10+ Year Old Account
    In my view, the [Overpowered] talent is boring and could be considered as a "minor talent" (or even could be better an artifact trait).

But what if [Overpowered] is replaced by other talent that, instead of empowering our main CD ([Arcane Power]), replaces it by a new and impressive one!
    Something like [Archon]!! (the current icon of [Overpowered] can stay)

Obviously, that [Archon Form] talent would replace the baseline [Arcane Power], as it would become our new main CD in its place. However, I wouldn't settle with an [Archon Form] that, despite providing us with overwhelming graphical effects, in practice it merely increased our damage by a percentage... In my opinion [Archon Form] should be something impressive, both graphically and functionally.

Graphically, it would be easy to define what we would expect from an [Archon Form]: our body levitating and covered with pure energy, something like:

Spoiler: 

Now, instead of getting new spells while we are in [Archon Form] (something that would require much more work) I would settle with that all our spells acquired new colors/particle effects, perhaps without the need to explicitly create new effects, just making them look different.

And well, functionally, [Archon Form] should do many things at the same time, as currently [Arcane Power] cheapens the mana cost of our spells and also increase their damage.

Perhaps, more than a CD, [Archon Form] could be like a [Shadowform], namely, a toggleable aura that we can activate whenever we need (although maybe it would need a dynamic CD). In fact, our mana could serve as a resource for [Archon Form], consuming it exponentially the longer is active...

But anyway, according to you, what should [Archon Form] do? What are your ideas?

So, for example, my ideal [Archon Form] would provide impressive graphical effects while is active, both to our body as for our spells. Of course, while we are in [Archon Form] our spell power would increase by a percentage... but... what more?

Deleted
    When you move, remove, or baseline spells like that I get the impression that you don't understand the Blizzard design. Overpowered appears to play the role of the highest burst damage during Arcane Power on row 100, because the others are either the highest sustained damage (at least by looking at the conceptual design, not the current beta tuning) or the highest AOE (which is proven during live that Arcane Orb is strong in AOE for indirect reasons). It appears the Legion philosophy does this on purpose because all specs must be relatively viable for everything and no spells must be relatively too OP against others on something (I do expect some inequality of course, there should be some in an RPG game, but not as much as we're used to).

Quote Originally Posted by Araitik View Post

More seriously, most of our current talent tree is 1 OP option / 2 useless, we don't need more.
    As far as i am concerned, this is a good thing with their stance on talent swaps requiring resting area / inscription item.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tobindax View Post
    When you move, remove, or baseline spells like that I get the impression that you don't understand the Blizzard design. Overpowered appears to play the role of the highest burst damage during Arcane Power on row 100, because the others are either the highest sustained damage (at least by looking at the conceptual design, not the current beta tuning) or the highest AOE (which is proven during live that Arcane Orb is strong in AOE for indirect reasons). It appears the Legion philosophy does this on purpose because all specs must be relatively viable for everything and no spells must be relatively too OP against others on something (I do expect some inequality of course, there should be some in an RPG game, but not as much as we're used to).
    Sincerely, I sometimes doubt that Blizzard have any "design" in mind, taking into account some of the "strange" decisions they have taken over the years... But OK, let's suppose that the [Overpowered] talent is there to fit the Blizzard "design".

The fact that [Overpowered] fits to certain "design" does not mean that that talent is funny or impressive... I've heard a lot of people complaining about [Overpowered] being a boring and unattractive talent. Actually, like many other passive talents, [Overpowered] feels more as a perk or trait than a true and interesting talent.

For that reason I called [Overpowered] a 'minor' talent and suggested replacing it by an innovative and significant talent, like [Archon]. Obviously, the effect of [Overpowered] could stay in another form, perhaps integrated baseline into [Arcane Power] (given its current low duration).

- - - Updated - - -

Back on topic, I was thinking of a new view for [Archon]...

Clearly [Archon] would be a talent that would replace [Arcane Power] as the Arcane CD. Upon activating it, the Mage would enter to the "Archon mode" that would consist on the following points:

• The common UI would be replaced by the "Archon UI", which would be an UI like those of the vehicles or the selfie-cam but more thematically appropriate obviously.

• The mage can't use any of his regular spells, but only the three or four abilities provided by the "Archon UI". The mage also can leave the "archon mode" at will.

• The "archon abilities" would be innovative, graphically impressive and more powerful than normal ones (one of them could be the famous [Disintegrate]).

• The health and mana bars are replaced by an "arcane energy" bar, which would start filled, but that would decrease exponentially the longer the "archon mode" is active.

• Damage received decrease the "arcane energy". The "archon abilities" don't spend "arcane energy" but generate it. The "archon mode" is interrupted when the "arcane energy" depletes.

• The mage would be immune to any sort of CC effect while in "archon mode".

• Graphically, the mage would be levitating and covered with pure energy of course.

• It would have a short (and animated) castime and a dynamic CD based on the time the "archon mode" was active the last time.

• Perhaps could require having 4 [Arcane Charges] in order to enter "archon mode" or even that while the mage has 4 [Arcane Charges] accumulated the CD of [Archon] would recharge faster.

What do you think?

Last edited by Northem; 2016-05-24 at 07:56 PM.

Deleted
    Although I like the idea of more effects and the like, this will not do. Not because the idea in itself is not cool, but because this idea has already been implemented for Warlocks as Metamorphosis, as a CD from BC to Wrath and as a new resource dump as of MoP. But moreso with priests coming in Legion with their newly acquired Void-form that drains insanity over time. Yes, warlocks lose their Metamorphosis but Demonhunters take up that talent, both as a CD as well as an occasional effect by use of certain abilities.

What I am trying to say here is that another temporary form of any kind, at least for the classes that currently do not have any, will, for me at least, not only feel ever so slightly forced, but also diluted or the same as all the others out there. Having a unique form is simply no longer unique when a bunch of other classes have the same base idea. The proposed archon form in this case is far too similar to the currently in beta voidform of spriests.

So this really needs a solid and, above all, unique way to work.

Please do take all this with a grain of salt. This is purely my own opinion.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Northem View Post
    [Overpowered] being a boring
    That statement is completely meaningless on its own and it supposedly supports your whole argument. You have to define what you mean by boring. The whole concept of boredom is obviously subjective and it can rarely support anything on technical design. After all, people often say there are no boring things, only boring people.

Even if I tried to explain for yourself why it is boring, I can't see why that is boring and a slow build up of haste isn't boring. It's well more boring to built haste slowly than to have the most powerful cooldown in the entire class last for longer.

If you want an actually interesting spell in the row, that's the orb. It's an extremely dynamic spell because it affects the entire class very indirectly in a big way while it does not break it, it enriches it. But I recall you didn't like the orb either.