Mobile authenticator

I've been using BNet's physical authenticator for years, but I recently changed phones and I've been thinking of using the mobile one. If you take up the mobile authenticator does it replace the physical one entirely? Can you swap between them or is the physical authenticator just permanently deactivated if you use the mobile one?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

You have to remove the physical authenticator before adding a mobile authenticator.

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/7259

However The mobile authenticator can be moved from device to device with the restore code you get when installing it.
    Signature not found

15+ Year Old Account
    IIRC you can use the code you've gotten originally with your phyiscal one to set your mobile with it, that way both should give you the same codes, hence working together.

I've used this method with 2 mobile authenticatiors and it worked fine (one was emulated on my PC, other was on my phone).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by alzoron View Post
    You have to remove the physical authenticator before adding a mobile authenticator.

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/7259

However The mobile authenticator can be moved from device to device with the restore code you get when installing it.
    You sure that it has to be removed?

I'm curious, can you try the method I described? I could swear it worked. Or it worked since there were 2 mobile authenticators.

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally I wouldn't use a mobile authenticator seeing your connected to the Net that way and can be hacked on your phone. The physical one is not connected to the net, but that is just me...I prefer my authenticator not connected.

Quote Originally Posted by Demetrion View Post
    IIRC you can use the code you've gotten originally with your phyiscal one to set your mobile with it, that way both should give you the same codes, hence working together.

I've used this method with 2 mobile authenticatiors and it worked fine (one was emulated on my PC, other was on my phone).
    Hmm, it's been so long since I got my physical authenticator... is that the code on the sticker on the back? Might give it a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by MouseD View Post
    Personally I wouldn't use a mobile authenticator seeing your connected to the Net that way and can be hacked on your phone. The physical one is not connected to the net, but that is just me...I prefer my authenticator not connected.
    Yeah it did occur to me that it's less secure in that sense. But honestly if my phone is stolen or hacked I'll probably have bigger things to worry about than my WoW account :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

What im worrying about is that the battery will get used up or it breaks on the physical one...tough about switching since mine is like...2009?
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    What im worrying about is that the battery will get used up or it breaks on the physical one...tough about switching since mine is like...2009?
    This is actually what I worry about and why I might just switch to a mobile one. Someone brought up a good point though that it might be less secure because it's online and someone can hack your phone but then again if someone is going to hack you they're going to do it one way or another so passwords and authenticators will seem useless anyway. Just be smart about your information and responsible for your belongings and you should be fine.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Geminiwolf View Post
    This is actually what I worry about and why I might just switch to a mobile one. Someone brought up a good point though that it might be less secure because it's online and someone can hack your phone but then again if someone is going to hack you they're going to do it one way or another so passwords and authenticators will seem useless anyway. Just be smart about your information and responsible for your belongings and you should be fine.
    Pretty much my reasoning. If they are on your phone they have access to a lot more stuff than your authenticator. In which case, you wouldn't even need the auth to get access to the account as you likely have the email on there too, which means very easy to steal the email account itself and everything that comes with it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MouseD View Post
    Personally I wouldn't use a mobile authenticator seeing your connected to the Net that way and can be hacked on your phone.
    If your phone is not jailbroken you're safe.
    There's no "magical" remote-over-the-network hack that can compromise your mobile authenticator.