Deleted

Class status in legion, questions to do those with beta.

So, I am player potentially looking to play WoW again (quit at start of MoP) and be looking to raid at a decently hardcore level.

I was a warlock main before and played mostly affliction during dragon soul, a spec I have always liked.

I've tried to catch up somewhat with the changes and how warlocks perform in beta but it's a drag to read up on all of it.

So my questions to do you are 1: How are the warlocks specs in terms of fun now? 2: How are the specs doing in legion, are they competitive?

I don't care at all how locks are in pre-patch and knowing blizzard I very much doubt they'll rebalance much before raids go live in legion which makes the beta information valuable to me.

Deleted
    Whether they are fun or not is pretty subjective. Affliction is very dot focused now, and drain life is purely a filler when you have nothing else to do. An overwhelming majority of your damage comes from just keeping up dots. They have 0 burst and have a high ramp up, but once the dots are up you're pretty flexible and mobile since the only non instant cast dot you have is unstable affliction which is your soul shard spender. to me it feels like a very simple spec, on single target fights at least. on a patchwerk fight your rotation would consist of keeping up dots on boss and your soul effigy and then drain lifeing when there's enough duration on your dots to not call for a refresh.
    Destro are cleave gods with the new perma havoc talent, but from my experience their rotation feels a bit clunky due to incinerate not generating soul shards. I find them fun on fights with adds though, because of high on demand burst, and on certain fights shadowburn with havoc is just godly for generating shards fast.
    Demo has the (imo) most complex playstyle and they seem fun to me. However their lack of mobility kind of concerns me, their only instant casts are shadowflame and doom which are rarely cast(high cd on shadowflame and doom being applied by hand of gul'dan talent), and they also lost demonic leap with legion.

In terms of competetiveness i wouldn't worry. Warlocks are fine in the beta, just not the top dog atm, from my experience. A lot of rebalancing is sure to happen throughout legion though, and i'm sure warlocks will be a top dps class overall througout legion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Warlocks were competitive in the most of the WoW history, this is not going to change in Legion despite the doomsayers that plague forums every start of expansion.

Specifically, PvE-wise I am doing fine at ilvl 856 in Legion with Mythic+ and raid testing I did do. You will have solid performance as long as you know what you are doing.

Caveat is, however, that for now, Destruction is a must, both Affliction and Demo are much more restricted in what they can do, while Destruction is packed with essential raid tools such as great burst on demand, great cleave and great target switching. Affliction also has its moments when you can abuse Soul Flame or multidotting. Demo, for now, appears to be suffering from this problem were everything it does - other two specs do better.

As for boring or not, really it's all up to your preferences, I for example like Destruction, but some other guy will tell you it's a snorebore. Really depends on your personal preference.

Finally, you can be sure there will be massive changes once raids go live, it happens every time. They usually give it a couple of weeks and then take a sledgehammer to specs they deem to be overperforming, while at the same time uplift those who do not. Happens every time.