Permanent Improvements to my Character

So I resubbed for Legion, did the only pre-launch event I could find (collecting those letters???) and find myself bored.

What activities can I do that will permanently improve my character that are non-gear related?

It's really hard to say because Blizzard has been on a huge trend for a while where nearly anything you attain can be removed, limited to an area, or changed to the point of unrecognizable.

This has always been the case with gear being outdated of course, but they have been dipping pretty heavy in to toys and abilities lately (sometimes even just making you re-earn what you already had).

Very few things seem permanent anymore.

Meaningful character improvements other than gear is pretty much removed from this game and has been for years. I'd suggest you check out Final Fantasy XIV or The Secret World if that's the kind of gameplay elements you're looking for.

So like paragon lvling in Diablo 3 ?

Like non-gear is achivements, and all there comes with it.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    So I resubbed for Legion, did the only pre-launch event I could find (collecting those letters???) and find myself bored.
    What activities can I do that will permanently improve my character that are non-gear related?
    None. Blizzard doesn't like Veterans to have permanent advantages over new players. That's how old MMORPG did it.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

You can learn your new class/spec (because they're all new) until actual gear-dropping activities begin in a week or so. Skill is the best "permanent" improvement your character will ever get.

Mounts, minions, transmog stuff...all of that's permanent.

If you're talking permanent stat increases or some form of power gain, no, won't find that until Legion release and you have a new level cap.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingspan View Post
    It's really hard to say because Blizzard has been on a huge trend for a while where nearly anything you attain can be removed, limited to an area, or changed to the point of unrecognizable.

This has always been the case with gear being outdated of course, but they have been dipping pretty heavy in to toys and abilities lately (sometimes even just making you re-earn what you already had).

Very few things seem permanent anymore.
    Get the things that will be removed and they stay permanent. If CMs are out, do them and the rewards you get remain permanent to you.

As for the toys, not really sure what their idea is here but they have said in the past plenty of times that toys are not suppose to be a large part of gameplay, they are just what the name says they are, toys.

Imo, the stuff that you really want is transmog/gear and skill. Both of those are permanent and really good ways to define your character and yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Taeldorian View Post
    Get the things that will be removed and they stay permanent. If CMs are out, do them and the rewards you get remain permanent to you.

As for the toys, not really sure what their idea is here but they have said in the past plenty of times that toys are not suppose to be a large part of gameplay, they are just what the name says they are, toys.

Imo, the stuff that you really want is transmog/gear and skill. Both of those are permanent and really good ways to define your character and yourself.

While most of the things you list are probably permanent, I don't know that any of them would fall under the OP's definition of "improved". I love transmog as much as the next guy (probably more) but I never considered transmog as a character improvement. The OP may feel differently I guess.

As to "toys" I meant virtually anything that is not gear (so a pretty broad definition). Bliz has been on a crusade of late to nerf anything that has any practical application of any sort, no matter how minor. I completely understand when they nerf game-changing things, but it has kind of gotten to the point where nothing you pick up has any lasting value other than something purely cosmetic... and even cosmetic items are sometimes given longer cooldowns or shorter durations.

Mounts even fit the nerf category, since they wanted to take away Water Striders (that one did not stick though) and of course Flying mounts now lose their core ability in current content every time an expansion begins.

When very few things can be counted on to last, Bliz is kind of missing the point of playing in a persistent world.