Poll: Would you support this change?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    It sounds like a good idea, but it is satisfying killing some pos lowbie being an idiot, though.

What's the point of playing the game if you can't gank noobz?

it used to be you kill some lowbies somewhere and they call their buddies and you got a war going.. then they introduced flying and groupfinders and wpvp took a major hit..

it does not really happen organically anymore unless it's a new zone with flying disabled. if anything they should disable all that convenience crap on pvp servers.

10+ Year Old Account
    No I don't agree with this proposed change.

One of my favorite past times in this game is to go into low level zones and aggressively stalk, hunt and camp lowbies. Sometimes on Saturdays I do this for hours on end and t-bag their corpses, especially if they don't release.

Point being... if you roll on a pvp server, expect to get shit on by high levels. That's the risk you take when you roll on a PvP server.

Supported and confirmed by Blizzard themselves.

Deleted
    if you dont wanna get ganked - dont play on a pvp server. easy fix for YOUR problem

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    No I don't agree with this proposed change.

One of my favorite past times in this game is to go into low level zones and aggressively stalk, hunt and camp lowbies. Sometimes on Saturdays I do this for hours on end and t-bag their corpses, especially if they don't release.

Point being... if you roll on a pvp server, expect to get shit on by high levels. That's the risk you take when you roll on a PvP server.

Supported and confirmed by Blizzard themselves.
    Thanks Jaylock for confirming you are the type of person I always thought you were.

On topic, I would support this idea. "World" PvP whilst leveling is completely irrelevant. If someone even 10 levels above you initiates combat then you have zero chances of defeating them unless they are a complete muppet. When it happens to me I don't even bother switching to another max level character, I just log out. Not having some bell-end wasting my time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanthanum View Post
    Thanks Jaylock for confirming you are the type of person I always thought you were.

On topic, I would support this idea. "World" PvP whilst leveling is completely irrelevant. If someone even 10 levels above you initiates combat then you have zero chances of defeating them unless they are a complete muppet. When it happens to me I don't even bother switching to another max level character, I just log out. Not having some bell-end wasting my time.
    Why dont you? Why dont you switch to another character and engage in some friendly World PvP? When I camp lowbies thats what usually happens. All out brawls in remote locations of the world are some of the most satisfying moments in the game.

After all, its called WORLD of WARCRAFT for a reason.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    Why dont you? Why dont you switch to another character and engage in some friendly World PvP? When I camp lowbies thats what usually happens. All out brawls in remote locations of the world are some of the most satisfying moments in the game.

After all, its called WORLD of WARCRAFT for a reason.
    I don't engage because I am often restricted by time. When I have a small window of gaming available I want to achieve something meaningful. To me, that is not dicking around with some waster who is more than likely to fly off as soon as I turn up for a fair fight.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flurryfang View Post
    - Snip-
    You must not have played during Vanilla or BC (mostly vanilla) because Hillsbrad used to be a war zone on a regular basis. Its why they made a 10 year anniversary BG around it. Also I remember quite a few times that there were all out wars on Westfall and Crossroads (crossroads more).

Maybe your right, perhaps modern World PvP doesn't exist and perhaps there isn't a need, but if that's the case then the only reason for PvP realms to exist is for the threat of a one shot gank by someone 100 levels above you, which is just sad. Even the world PvP of old was more competitive even when severely outleveled.

I can't speak for the WoW community, perhaps I should make a separate poll, but I think people wouldn't mind a rejuvenated world PvP.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-Signature by Winter Blossom-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I still can't grasp what is the fun in dying for no reason.
    I get the danger part of the adrenaline rush being in a dangerous world, but that can be achieved as well when you still have a fighting chance to overcome the gank.
    Which now isn't possible cause of the power difference of a low level and max level.

Personally i don't care anymore how the low level is, i got 12, next week 13 max level toons armed to the teeth or enough for each one to be capable to fight back or run away if needed. Come Legion all of those will be full prestige. I don't mind playing in a pvp server, cause i do that currently.
    Yes it's a challenge and a test of skill, there's a set level of danger. Getting oneshot requires no skill and has no danger cause it's unavoidable if you want to play outside instancing, you can 100% expect it to happen sometime, currently at latest the moment you enter Hellfire Peninsula.

I just fail to see the ideology of the sadomasochism in the type of danger, where there can be no good outcome for you.
    It's like dressing up in pink, going to the dark side of town in real life and just straight out expecting to get mugged or stabbed.
    The same danger is still there even if the power levels are somewhat similar, cause you have no idea of the skillset of the ganker.
    They can be 15 minutes played boosted guy who you smack around the head or they can be multiseason gladiator who you have no chance defeating even if you're out gearing them.

Current system is just a waste of literal time that's masked in having the element of danger.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeriedk View Post
    You must not have played during Vanilla or BC (mostly vanilla) because Hillsbrad used to be a war zone on a regular basis. Its why they made a 10 year anniversary BG around it. Also I remember quite a few times that there were all out wars on Westfall and Crossroads (crossroads more).

Maybe your right, perhaps modern World PvP doesn't exist and perhaps there isn't a need, but if that's the case then the only reason for PvP realms to exist is for the threat of a one shot gank by someone 100 levels above you, which is just sad. Even the world PvP of old was more competitive even when severely outleveled.

I can't speak for the WoW community, perhaps I should make a separate poll, but I think people wouldn't mind a rejuvenated world PvP.
    First of all, yes i played during that time and the battles in hillsbrad were few and far between. The area was not a huge PvP area, there was just some battles once a month or even less. It might be different on some servers, but the 3 servers, which i lvled horde on, there was very rarely combat in that area. So don't glorify the place too much. Also, people mostly did this pvp because they were bored as hell and max lvl characters had really nothing to do. There is a reason, that this changed with the addition of Eye of the Storm and Arena. Also, you might have remembered Westfall and Crossroads as warzones, but again, this happend proberly a couple of times in a matter of months. You just remember it, because some guilds was bored after raiding MC or BWL, and went to go crazy somewhere.

All these battles were all started not because there was something to gain through it, but because people were bored and found it fun to attack low lvl towns. The rules about that has not changed, so there is really nothing stopping people from doing Warzone Hillsbrad, Westfall or Crossroads again, but don't. Why is that? Because there are now better places to do PvP. If you like 1vs1 or small team combat, you will have fun in Arena, since you and your mates are not gonna be stormed by 15 people. And if you like big battles, AV and some of the BGs still offer those battles. Remember, many of the big World PvP battles started after hours of boredom, since it took a lot of time for people to even gather. Many people left these battles, because they got ganked by OP players and many low lvl people logged off, since their quest hub was being destroyed. So it was not all good.

I will say, that yes, there is very little reason for PvP servers to exist atm. The Battlegrounds are really filling out the PVP need, which players want, so very few people are ready to fly/walk around some zone just to have a chance to fight with some guy, who is proberly undergeared and who will just log off after you kill him once.

You say rejuvenated World PVP, but as i stated before, Blizzard can do very little to make people do World PVP. What rewards could they give, which does not encrouch on raiding or which degrades Battlegrounds. Remember, places like the towers in TBC, Wintergrasp in Wrath and Tol Barad in Cata were not very succesfull features, and they even gave unique rewards for that. So what is there to do?
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    The area was not a huge PvP area, there was just some battles once a month or even less. It might be different on some servers, but the 3 servers, which i lvled horde on, there was very rarely combat in that area. So don't glorify the place too much. Also, people mostly did this pvp because they were bored as hell and max lvl characters had really nothing to do. There is a reason, that this changed with the addition of Eye of the Storm and Arena. Also, you might have remembered Westfall and Crossroads as warzones, but again, this happend proberly a couple of times in a matter of months.
    I played nearly all of Vanilla and Hillsbrad was a daily warzone. I don't think I ever remember it without there at least being a few PvP battles going on that you could join in with if you wanted to. In regards of Westfall and Crossroads it might not have been a daily thing, but its frequency was certainly higher than a few times every couple months...On my servers it was probably more of 2-3 times a week. As as as the addition of Eots and Arena I really don't think that was it. I think it was more of the addition of Shattrath (a sanctuary) and the fact that any place that both Alliance and Horde congregated was either a sanctuary or had high level guards ala Area 52.

All these battles were all started not because there was something to gain through it, but because people were bored and found it fun to attack low lvl towns. The rules about that has not changed, so there is really nothing stopping people from doing Warzone Hillsbrad, Westfall or Crossroads again, but don't. Why is that? Because there are now better places to do PvP. If you like 1vs1 or small team combat, you will have fun in Arena, since you and your mates are not gonna be stormed by 15 people. And if you like big battles, AV and some of the BGs still offer those battles. Remember, many of the big World PvP battles started after hours of boredom, since it took a lot of time for people to even gather. Many people left these battles, because they got ganked by OP players and many low lvl people logged off, since their quest hub was being destroyed. So it was not all good.
    The same thing still happens now, but what used to be accomplished by a group of players can be accomplished by one 100 just passing through and like I previously stated you should have to stick around for the consequences if you decimate a lowbie quest hub. The reason people don't come to the aid of these zones isn't because they don't want to world PvP, its because they know by the time they get there the person in question will be long gone. The only difference about it now vs. then is that no world PvP stems from it..changes could be made to fix that (not saying I know what those changes are, but some could be made)

I will say, that yes, there is very little reason for PvP servers to exist atm. The Battlegrounds are really filling out the PVP need, which players want, so very few people are ready to fly/walk around some zone just to have a chance to fight with some guy, who is proberly undergeared and who will just log off after you kill him once.
    I guess thats the reason I'm frustrated. I'm an oldschool PvP server player and I don't really mind getting ganked, but its just all that happens on PvP servers anymore (outside of timeless isle, but that's usually just rogues going to town on people) so I just wish that some changes would be made so that PvP servers had a name that actually fit them rather than "Ganking" and "non-ganking" servers.

You say rejuvenated World PVP, but as i stated before, Blizzard can do very little to make people do World PVP. What rewards could they give, which does not encrouch on raiding or which degrades Battlegrounds. Remember, places like the towers in TBC, Wintergrasp in Wrath and Tol Barad in Cata were not very succesfull features, and they even gave unique rewards for that. So what is there to do?
    I'm just hoping for rejuvenated World PvP. You say Blizzard can do very little, but I disagree. I think that they could add benefits to world PvP. Perhaps a currency that you earn when you world pvp (and only world pvp) against people your level and have a vendor with rewards that can only be obtained through those means (I actually think thats a boss idea), it would be like a Halaa except worldwide. They could make world PvP exist again, but I feel like it simply falls on the back burner.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here is even a better suggestion - move to PvE server.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Here is even a better suggestion - move to PvE server.
    Great! Thank you for your relatively useless input. Please. I'm really looking for a better suggestion than "things are fine, you're just on the wrong server". Unless you really think that things regarding World PvP are perfect.

Edit: Also your suggestion of moving to a PvE server really doesn't help me. I like world PvP, just with people my own level. If you move to a PvE server no one flags themselves for PvP combat...its why they're there. Maybe the occasional person, but there is NO risk. I don't mind the risk of being ganked, but I wish that there were people actually on level that would world PvP.
    Last edited by Aeriedk; 2016-08-07 at 04:18 PM.

I get the feeling, in blizzards eyes, PVP servers are exactly the way they should be. Just a server you can click on someone and attack them. Not much more. I know a lot of people want it to be a bigger more important thing but in the end that is all it really is. It has no balance or concern put into it from what I can tell.

7+ Year Old Account
    I played nearly all of Vanilla and Hillsbrad was a daily warzone. I don't think I ever remember it without there at least being a few PvP battles going on that you could join in with if you wanted to. In regards of Westfall and Crossroads it might not have been a daily thing, but its frequency was certainly higher than a few times every couple months...On my servers it was probably more of 2-3 times a week. As as as the addition of Eots and Arena I really don't think that was it. I think it was more of the addition of Shattrath (a sanctuary) and the fact that any place that both Alliance and Horde congregated was either a sanctuary or had high level guards ala Area 52.

The same thing still happens now, but what used to be accomplished by a group of players can be accomplished by one 100 just passing through and like I previously stated you should have to stick around for the consequences if you decimate a lowbie quest hub. The reason people don't come to the aid of these zones isn't because they don't want to world PvP, its because they know by the time they get there the person in question will be long gone. The only difference about it now vs. then is that no world PvP stems from it..changes could be made to fix that (not saying I know what those changes are, but some could be made)

I guess thats the reason I'm frustrated. I'm an oldschool PvP server player and I don't really mind getting ganked, but its just all that happens on PvP servers anymore (outside of timeless isle, but that's usually just rogues going to town on people) so I just wish that some changes would be made so that PvP servers had a name that actually fit them rather than "Ganking" and "non-ganking" servers.

I'm just hoping for rejuvenated World PvP. You say Blizzard can do very little, but I disagree. I think that they could add benefits to world PvP. Perhaps a currency that you earn when you world pvp (and only world pvp) against people your level and have a vendor with rewards that can only be obtained through those means (I actually think thats a boss idea), it would be like a Halaa except worldwide. They could make world PvP exist again, but I feel like it simply falls on the back burner.
    From what i can hear, then this Hillsbrad war-zone thing has been very different compared to which server you were on. While World PvPers on your server might not have seen EotS and Arena as a better alternative for pvp, the World PvP stopped nearly overnight when Arenas launched, not saying that there was much World PvP before, but i never say recruitment in trade chat for attack on small cities again after that. But as i also said, having World PvP in a low lvl zone often led to many sad lvlers. It is not fun trying to gather Exp when you are getting ganked by 100s of other players. So while Hillsbrad vs SS was fun for some time, it often was also a bad experience for others. But as you say, sure changes, which made it rewardable to attack enemy cities, but as you have proberly seen a several World PvP threads, many people don't even care for World PvP, so why should they make a global change? I am all in for having a World pvp change be done to PvP servers, but if they put too much reward in ganking quest hubs, you will without a doubt see a huge wave of angry people, because they can't lvl up in their zones anymore, since people are killing all the quest-givers.

But what do you expect? Are you expecting that people would just leave their cities and go out searching for players? You say, that there could be made changes to pvp, so that World PvP would be more rewarding, but from Blizzards point of view, World PvP will often give a bad experience to 50% of the people involved. In BG/Arena, people are facing against people at the same lvl, and often with the same gear or close to. World PvP often drags in people, who are either under lvl, undergeared or who are totally OP and spawncamp. In these situations, somebody is proberly gonna feel like things are unfair, and that they will have to stop doing what they like to get away from the bad experience. In BGs/Arena, if you are having a bad time, you can just leave the instance and its over. World PvP is quite a different thing.

I don't know what changes you have in mind, but i can really only see 2 kind of changes, which Blizzard can make to promote World PvP.

1: They can do as you say and give a special currency to playerkills outside of BGs. The problem here is the reward. Either it is going to be like the bloody coins on the Timeless Isles, where people either just farmed each other or did not even bother to do them, since the rewards were kind of shitty, or they are going to make the rewards too good and then people are going to either exploit the system or just completly abandoned the BG system. Either way, the game losses since content is going to abandoned, since 2 PvP systems, which does nearly the same thing, is not gonna be able to function together.

2: Blizzard makes places like Halaa again, where the reward is given in some form of serverwide/zonewide buff or reward. The problem here is that the system is gonna lose its appeal very quickly. Sure, Halaa was quite the place for some time in TBC, but as soon as the Ogrila-patch hit the game, players on my servers completly abandoned the place. The reason why is simply, because people only did it because they had nothing to do, and as soon as there was new content, they left the place for dead. In this situation, Blizzard will create World PvP for only a short time, and if they are too keep it appealing, they would have to put new energy into the system with every patch. That is simply something, which is not profitable for Blizzard, since some servers will proberly not even use the system at all.

Not to completly repeat myself, i wil say, that there is a huge problem with World PvP. Flying/running around looking for players to fight is boring, simple as that. Traveling for 15 min to an hours just to find players, which will give you pvp rewards, is very unappealing when you can just do BGs for PvP combat. WorldWide PvP will require players, who are ready to fight on a world-scale, but there are simply not enough pvpers in the game for that to happend. WoW is really short on PvPers, that is a fact, so many of the awesome World PvP systems will just be left abandoned, after the majority of the players have "tried it out" in the first few weeks of an expansion. I personally think, that Blizzard should not worry about World PvP and just focus on making more BGs, new Areanas and better features for PvPers, like the pvp-talents.

World PvP might work in some games, but i just don't think that WoW is such a game anymore.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

Remove flying from PVP servers, from ALL zones. That would be one of the best changes, and it could put an end to the "muh wpvp is ruined by the flyings!!" once and for all.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love PvP servers. Nothing is like getting to duke it out with the enemy while you're out and about. However it seems like that doesn't happen anymore. If you PvP with someone and you win usually a level 100 comes by to return the favor, if you lose, usually you return the favor in the same way.

What I propose is that on PvP servers it is limited to 5 levels above you and below you. For example if you're level 15 you can PvP with players from level 10-20, no higher, no lower. This removes this ridiculous notion of being ganked by a high level player as PvP and leaves PvP among similar levels intact.

What are your thoughts? Discuss.

Edit: Perhaps the real problem is the ability to leave as soon as you gank. In the past you had to try and get to a flight master or run away on your 100% mount if you had it. Otherwise you would likely feel the wrath of someones guild. I'm really looking for some sort of change that would promote world PvP between similar levels. At this current time (outside of Emerald Dream) it appears that real world PvP is dead. I want more PvP than ganking.

Edit 2: This really isn't about ganking, its about ganking being the only form of World PvP. If your only input is "go to a PvE realm" please refrain from posting as its not really useful input. I'm looking for suggestions, thoughts, something that can be discussed.
    No , because when lowbies ganking your lowbie alt in 5vs1 or 3vs1, logging ur main to stop them is much faster, then asking your friends to log on in WOW and help.

If you want 100vs100 world pvp come to Isle of Giants in Pandaria, there is alot 100lvls and no flying allowed.

How does Blizzard want PvP realms to function? Max levels ganking lowbies for fun and revenge? I just don't really understand it, PvP realms are effectively dead in the area of PvP. The most PvP I see is 100s duking it out outside of ICC. Hell even while I level alts when I see the opposing faction I just wave and move on because I know there will be repercussions if I attack. Don't really see how that would be Blizzards vision.
    The amount of times I've been ganked, solo, in tanaan is testament to me that world pvp is just as alive as I remember it in vanilla. I never went out of my way to find giant battles but every now again well have increasing numbers of alliance and horde engage in pvp that it'll become a huge war. And with the way pvp gear scales in WoD, just about everyone is nearly equally geared in world pvp; unfortunately this won't be the case in legion where wold pvp will maintain ridiculous gear discrepancies.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15