How to Pyromaniac?

Hi

Never really played mage, kind of, so don't blame me for noobish questions please.

From what I've understood during Combustion burn phase we should basically step by step:

-> wait for hot streak
    -> rune of power
    -> combustion
    -> pyroblast
    -> fire blast
    -> pyroblast
    -> fire blast
    -> pyroblast
    -> flame on -> fire blast
    -> pyroblast
    -> fire blast
    -> pyroblast

So basically Pyroblast consumes Hot Streak! and activates Heating up, following Fire Blast activates Hot Streak! and so on.

My question is: is Pyromaniac talent any useful at all in Combustion burn scenario? Is it possible to take advantage from this talent?

Well, basically from what I've understood we should use Fireblast right after Pyroblast (when Pyroblast is on GCD) so we dont stop casting and keep going.

If we wanted to take advantage of Pyromaniac, should we wait for Pyroblast to land onto target to check whether 8% procs or not? So we don't use Fire Blast and pretty much Pyroblast -> Pyroblast

How exactly should we take advantage of that talent, especially during Combustion?

Thanks and sorry for lil' bit chaotic text

In short: yes, wait for it to land.

So if I stand 40yds away from target for some reason should I really wait for pyroblast to land before using Fire blast, just because there's 8% chance that I could Pyro -> Pyro?

Seems like it's like an exchange of 0,75s time (waiting for pyro to land) for 8% chance to pyro->pyro, provoding that I stand ~40yds away from target for some reason.

Does it work like that? :O

Quote Originally Posted by Wenoxar View Post
    If we wanted to take advantage of Pyromaniac, should we wait for Pyroblast to land onto target to check whether 8% procs or not?
    pyromaniac procs hot streak immediately when you cast the pyro, you don't have to wait for the spell impact to tell if you got lucky or not

I'm not sure how good that talent is in PvE. But pretty much what the guys said above.

10+ Year Old Account
    From the AT guide, pyromaniac is equal with conflagration on single target, and worse on multi target, so really there isn't any point in taking the talent, albeit maybe for solo play.

so what talents does a fire mage pick then ?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Prothynyas View Post
    so what talents does a fire mage pick then ?
    Conflagration.

Deleted
    It might be OP in purely solo single target leveling (because no others bring the targets low), and in theoretical special bosses that could use it because of a gimmick they could have.

I sounds odd that it's not worse than conflag on single target, I'd recheck on sims, but I'm not surprised if it is.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Quetesh View Post
    Conflagration.
    That's not optimal on single target.

Mythic Archimonde - World Top 20 Fire Mages:

Conflagration: 9 people
    Fire Starter: 7 people
    Pyromaniac: 4 people

----------------------------------------------------

Mythic Mannoroth - World Top 20 Fire Mages:

Conflagration: 11 people
    Fire Starter: 5 people
    Pyromaniac: 4 people

----------------------------------------------------

Mythic Zakuun - World Top 20 Fire Mages:

Conflagration: 3 people
    Fire Starter: 11 people
    Pyromaniac: 6 people

Deleted
    That sample is extremely small. You can't have reasonable assumptions without at least 40 or 80 samples per specific case (and it could be debated the cases are more, needing more samples than that). The top logs kill those bosses in a few seconds or very fast in general. Also, when they do kill a boss in a few seconds or very fast that talent choice is not going to have a huge impact to begin with because the burn phase takes most of the time.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ok for one, you don't pop combustion like that. You pop it midcast during fireball snice it's not affected by the GCD.

So it goes like this:
    Get Hot Streak>Rune of Power>Fireball (midcast pop Combustion)>Pyro>Pyro>Fireblast>pyro>fireblast>pyro>flame on>fireblast>pyro>fireblast>pyro>scorch>scorch>pyro>pyro

- - - Updated - - -

Also, firestarter is useful only if the boss dies super quick, like Reaver or Zakuun because you'll get guaranteed crits during your opener and you wont have to deal with missing some of the ring during your combustion due to having to build up Hs. Pyromaniac isn't very good due to the fact that it takes a moment to register and feels pretty clunky. Overall, I take conflagration because it's much easier to take a non-niche passive
    Last edited by Sylvaeres; 2016-08-24 at 01:32 PM.
    Sylvaeres-Azkial-Pailerth @Proudmoore

Quote Originally Posted by Torian kel View Post
    From the AT guide, pyromaniac is equal with conflagration on single target, and worse on multi target, so really there isn't any point in taking the talent, albeit maybe for solo play.
    Even if thats true you still want pyromaniac for burst, like on Heart of Corruption or whatever. Even just 1 proc during combustion is pretty good, its like a free fire blast charge.

@Curnivorve

My point was that there isn't a only one "go-to" talent ...

I find with Pyromaniac, I often waste a FB because I got a heating up that turned right into a hot streak via Pyromaniac.

Quote Originally Posted by infinitemeridian View Post
    I find with Pyromaniac, I often waste a FB because I got a heating up that turned right into a hot streak via Pyromaniac.
    Don't FB until the very end of cast. So Fireball(HU)>Fireball+FB(at the end of cast)>Pyro.

Same thing with Pyromaniac, you never want to straight up cast Pyroblast without a Fireball being casted at the same time. The point is to never stop casting stuff or to cancel casting Fireball when you got Pyro proc. And during Combustion, stand next to the boss so your Pyro hits the boss asap.