I'm having a hard time keeping STM up past 1 minute.

It seems like it's draining too much shadow power for me to keep up. I'm ILvL 656 and I cap around 35k dps. Once STM starts to drain chunks of shadow power I just.. die.

Any tips or tricks I should use?

Quote Originally Posted by Krabkilla View Post
    It seems like it's draining too much shadow power for me to keep up. I'm ILvL 656 and I cap around 35k dps. Once STM starts to drain chunks of shadow power I just.. die.

Get better gear, honestly. Don't expect high uptime with that ilvl.

A major thing needs to be said, you can optimize all you want but eventually you will be forced to surrender to the madness! *cackles*

In all seriousness, there's going to be a cap at how far you can take it both in terms of skill and gear. And I remember STM did get nerfed to 150% generation recently. The insanity mini-game is real and in the end you will always lose.

hahaha. I fucking love the mini game which is why i'm playing this class even though I prefer the DK. Is there an optimal talent set up for StM? I got my Ilvl up to 698 and now i'm doing 49k dps, but still same 1 minute uptime.

hahaha. I fucking love the mini game which is why i'm playing this class even though I prefer the DK. Is there an optimal talent set up for StM? I got my Ilvl up to 698 and now i'm doing 49k dps, but still same 1 minute uptime.
    Link to Armory?

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...watembo/simple.

It's just basic pvp and invasion gear.
    Mindbender would do you wonders.

i actually had mind bender. I just switched it to see the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Baelic View Post
    Mindbender would do you wonders.
    Mindbender is so strong because of the high up time from tier. Without tier he is probably better off with PI.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

I don't know of any particular tricks. Just adhere to the basic priority list and use CDs properly:
    - Make sure not to use any CDs previous to StM if it means you cannot use them optimally during StM
    - If specced for it, use mindbender immediately on entering void form (as to get it ready again ASAP)
    - Use Dispersion immediately or after the first void bolt (to refresh DoTs if they're low duration)
    - Use Power Infusion whenever drain starts to outscale your generation (time depends on haste)
    - Use shadow fiend only while you're still comfortably keeping insanity high

- Use VB on cooldown; if it comes up within the next 1/4th of a GCD, wait for it and don't start casting anything else
    - Use SWD if available and it doesn't overcap your insanity
    - Use MB on cooldown; if it comes up within the next 1/4th of a GCD, wait for it and don't start casting anything else
    - Cast Mind Flay (but cancel whenever something mentioned previously comes up)

I did a quick test on my SP against a single target dummy right now (no sets or specific trinkets, 2.6k haste and 2k crit) and I was able to get 81.78 seconds / 82 stacks with ToF/RoS/AS/MB as talents. Duration would obviously be higher if the enemy was in execute range (RoS was doing nothing for me here) or if I was using FotM, probably also when using PI.

Going by your gear, you should probably be hitting >77 seconds under similar conditions and more than that under more optimal conditions.

Edit: Did another test with PI and got to 85.08 seconds / 86 stacks. Not going to bother with testing FotM though as that wouldn't be practically relevant.

Edit2: In case you're wondering why all these figures are so "low"; First off, StM was nerfed to 150% from 200%. Secondly, duration directly scales with haste (and to a much lesser extent crit) so you want >30% which is decently achievable both using current raid gear and using 110 pre-raid gear. Thirdly, most SPs are currently using the T18 bonuses which increase Mindbender uptime to crazy levels and procs an additional 7% haste and ~6% crit. Lastly, you don't have your artifact yet which helps with keeping void form up with its artifact ability (+8 seconds when used twice) and a small trait which lets your VT proc apparitions. At 110, those factors will typically also let you get in a second dispersion (90 sec CD with artifact trait) for another +6 seconds.
    Last edited by GT4; 2016-08-27 at 07:42 AM.