Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Him of Many Faces View Post
    dunno, wow has sold over 100m units years ago already, not sure which game other then free to play can top that.
    Sold over 100m units as a franchise, but a not as an individual game.

Wiki is not necessarily the best source, but here are the numbers:

World of Warcraft is third on PC games with 14.5 M, behind Overwatch at 15M, and Minecraft at 24M.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...video_games#PC

It seems like GTA 5 is the best selling video game of all time.

If we work with an average of 7 million players payign sub at any given time. (could be higher or lower in reality, hard to say).

thats 7mil*15dollars*12months*12years = roughly 15 billion dollars.
    add to that the cost of the games. 7 expansions. around 250 dollars= 250*7mil= 1.75bil
    so estimating the total to be around 16.75 billion.

this hasnt take any shop items into account, nor char transfers and so on. also we simply assumed an average number of 7 million players. the true average could be higher.

Id say 16.75 bil is slightly pessimistic tbh and the true total is likely slightly higher.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The Don View Post
    Sold over 100m units as a franchise, but a not as an individual game.

Wiki is not necessarily the best source, but here are the numbers:

World of Warcraft is third on PC games with 14.5 M, behind Overwatch at 15M, and Minecraft at 24M.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...video_games#PC

It seems like GTA 5 is the best selling video game of all time.
    wow a one point had 12million concurrent subs. there is no way they did that with only selling 14.5m copies.

people quit the game permanently all the time, yet from vanilla untill wotlk/cata the game had growing or stable sub numbers, this means for at least that long there must have been a decent influx of new players all the time. it's extremely unlikely only 2.5m people quit wow during that time.
    Last edited by mmoc982b0e8df8; 2016-08-27 at 12:34 PM.

I can't believe there are people that are butthurt over the claim that WoW is the highest grossing single game of all time, but here they are, crying about it.
    Beta Club Brosquad

Quote Originally Posted by Peeb View Post
    Ah, nope. Warcraft is the franchise. World of Warcraft is a game in that franchise. They are not "kinda like stand alone games" if they were you would be able to buy only Legion and only have Legion content and nothing else.
    You buy the Battlechest and Legion. Since they don't sell the expansion and Classic seperately anymore, Legion is the exp and Battlechest is the core game with standalone games.

Hmm, I sounded stupid there, but the core game has changed and they're not exactly expansion packs. They're half stand-alone half exps. In exps you get additional quests, a bit balance, race, class and such. Times change. The game isn't the same.
    Last edited by Felpacino; 2016-08-27 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post
    If you count the expansions, World of Warcraft is not a single game either.
    yes it is

Grossing not surprising, but I wonder if its the most profitable, wow has a trump level hugggggeeeeee overhead cost when compared to its sister titles like overwatch and hearthstone.

I can believe it. This game has basically grossed a minimum of $233 million per year for 12 years straight just from sub fees, and many years were far far higher than that.

Deleted
    I Want To Believe