Fire mage, boomy, or spriest???

For once, I want to attempt to main 1 spec for an entire expansion. Extremely stuck deciding between these 3. I do a combination of pvp and pve, want a spec that is well designed and will do both well.

Deleted
    on what level do you do pvp / pve?

on highest level? then it's currently firemage.
    it might change at any given point though

Deleted
    Firemage and Spriest both seem to have their place in PvP (arena).

For pvp fire mage and shadow priest are infinitely superior choices. Better defensives, better damage niches (fire has better burst than you, shadow has better cleaving and sustained single target damage than you).

For pve either will work, but mages are always supreme.

I was under the assumption that shadows defensive's are terrible

Quote Originally Posted by MNoggle81 View Post
    I was under the assumption that shadows defensive's are terrible
    Your assumptions are wrong relative to balance druid's defenses, which are alongside ele shaman the worst ingame.

Moonkin's single defensive cd defensive is a 1 minute 20% damage reduction cd. That's it.

Shadow's defensive is a 95% damage reduction that also heals them for 50% of their HP with the artifact. Shadow's passive self healing with vampiric touch and vampiric embrace outheals Ysera's from resto affinity, and shadow priest's heal with masochism puts out nearly double the healing of any of the resto affinity flash heals (healing touch, regrowth). All of shadow's self healing outside shadowmend can be done while DPS'ing, balance druids can't do damage with any heals outside Ysera's passive effect.

Shadow can heal without dropping his defenses or incurring a global, moonkin drops form and loses damage in the process (the 10% increased damage from moonkin form).

Shadow has access to power word shield and a preemptive silence, and a ranged 2 second aoe stun in mind bomb whereas balance druid has a melee range stun that can be parried/dodged since it's a physical attack, it's also 20 seconds cd longer than mind bomb.

How can someone feel this is balanced pvp?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucrece View Post
    Your assumptions are wrong relative to balance druid's defenses, which are alongside ele shaman the worst ingame.

Moonkin's single defensive cd defensive is a 1 minute 20% damage reduction cd. That's it.

Shadow's defensive is a 95% damage reduction that also heals them for 50% of their HP with the artifact. Shadow's passive self healing with vampiric touch and vampiric embrace outheals Ysera's from resto affinity, and shadow priest's heal with masochism puts out nearly double the healing of any of the resto affinity flash heals (healing touch, regrowth). All of shadow's self healing outside shadowmend can be done while DPS'ing, balance druids can't do damage with any heals outside Ysera's passive effect.

Shadow can heal without dropping his defenses or incurring a global, moonkin drops form and loses damage in the process (the 10% increased damage from moonkin form).

Shadow has access to power word shield and a preemptive silence, and a ranged 2 second aoe stun in mind bomb whereas balance druid has a melee range stun that can be parried/dodged since it's a physical attack, it's also 20 seconds cd longer than mind bomb.
    Thanks! Appreciate it!

If you have restriction on playing other specs in PVE, going mage is your best bet.

I have always played as a Feral and you WILL be asked to tank, specially as the expansion goes on and people stop playing on mass. The same will happen for healing if you play priest or boomkin.