Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ...
    I do have to agree that it feels somewhat awkward to be playing on a high populated server, with a 30 min login queue and go by and quest in zones where you will only see a handful of other players. It's not like I want the horrible experience from past expansions where you really need to compete for quest items and mobs. But I can't shake the feeling that Blizzard took it a step too far this time around.

The "worst" thing is that the zones have so much content aimed at high population. I've done three out of four zones already, and this is right after launch so the amount of players playing should be at it's peak and I'm on one of the most popular servers having 15-40 min login queues every evening since release and yet I have killed way too many rare mobs all by myself because there was no one around. That just doesn't feel right to me.

Quote Originally Posted by WernerCD View Post
    And you are posting a pointless response on a pointless thread on a pointless forum for the pointless sake of it. Doesn't it all seem pointless? /wrist
    Yeah, except that is what the OP does, though apparently he earned himself another Ban.

On topic however. Leveling Questing, since TBC and even late vanilla has been pretty much a single player activity. Maybe if you want to do MMO stuff, get some friends together and DO the group content that I promise exists. I have done this every night, so I can confirm it's possible.

If you want to argue that the community isn't what it was I'll agree.

If you want to argue that Blizzard hurt server communities with LFG and LFR, I'll agree.

If you want to argue that the community is less tight knit than before I'll agree.

But these are all point you can make without using hyperbole just for the sake of being noticed.

Also to anyone who says there are fewer people out when questing, thats on purpose. The newly implemented shard technology creates a new shard when an old one hits a certain player capacity. This is to make leveling smoother and keep there from being ridiculous bottle necks. All this happens seamlessly and is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    I have little desire to go out of my way to post screenshots showing how there are at least 10+ people around me in Stormheim. Good luck in the game if you continue to play. I suspect your attitude is probably why you find yourself alone in there.
    Savage as fuck Darsithis.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lavaalamp View Post
    What exactly is a "MMO"rpg? Please inform me. Because obviously it doesn't mean MASSIVE MULTIPLAYER to you.
    Massive - My server has more than 100 players online, constantly playing the game, and I have the capacity to interact with those players through many possible layers.
    Multiplayer - Goes hand-to-hand with the massive part: My actions and the actions of the other players have connections. It doesn't need to be a constant group doing everything together.
    Online - Requires internet to connect all those folks.

So, WoW has a specific method to be all those things. Your problem is with the chosen method.

Enjoy your ban troll
    There is the sad paradox of a world which is more and more sensitive about being politically correct, almost to the point of ridicule, yet does not wish to acknowledge or to respect believers’ faith in God

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathquoi View Post
    You sure are commenting a hell of a lot on something you have no plans to buy.

Nobody cares, bud.

- - - Updated - - -

Look, another troll post by you.
    Awesome rebuttal. Your nuanced arguments are amazingly compelling.

I'm simply pointing out that people were all ga ga about WoD for several weeks after it released too. Just because some people can't learn from history is not my problem.

Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    Awesome rebuttal. Your nuanced arguments are amazingly compelling.

I'm simply pointing out that people were all ga ga about WoD for several weeks after it released too. Just because some people can't learn from history is not my problem.
    I was in both betas. It was abundantly clear that there was nothing to do outside of raids in the WoD beta. There is objectively a lot of stuff to do in legion. It's provable fact.

Honestly, your fail troll posts don't really merit a reasoned response, or any response really.
    Beta Club Brosquad

Hello, adventurer. I see that's Ashbringer, the Legendary blade once held by Tirion himself. Surely an illustrious hero such as yourself will be up to the task ahead, our hopes ride on your success.

Please collect 10 bear asses.
    awesome singleplayer game, are other studios even trying?

people split into 4 zones instead of 2. I see people all the time still. I see more people in these zones than i did back in vanilla bar the starting zones.

Quote Originally Posted by Meridas View Post
    So I recommend that everyone play WoW: Legion as the singleplayer game that it wants to be. It's great at that. Play through all the artifact questlines, play through all the order hall campaigns, play through all the quests in the zones and try out all the different specs. Playing it as an MMO, though? Not so much. Blizzard has moved away from making MMOs and moved towards crafting great singleplayer experiences.
    Are you not in a guild? Do you have no one on your BNET friends list?

It sounds like you have been a "singleplayer" player all these years and just finally realized it.........

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    What I love most about this thread is that this is precisely the sort of complaint certain old-skool MMORPGers, particularly some hardcore EQ types, had about WoW when it released.

"You can level solo because of tons of quests? Might as well be a single-player game!"

Seriously, the "WoW takes the MMO out of MMORPG" complaint is literally as old as the game itself. It's amazing to see it back nearly twelve years later! To be fair such complaints were never entirely wrong, but still...

Quote Originally Posted by Finnigast View Post
    I have never understood these complaints about "community". If you want to be in a "community", join a guild or find like minded people to make a community with. All the tools to have a social gaming experience are there. Frankly, the ease in which you can be social now is light years ahead of what was available at Vanilla. On the flip side, if you don't want to be social, you now have that option.
    Whilst I generally agree, it's perhaps worth noting that in order to build a working community you need not just good tools, but a game design which promotes that community existing.

I think Legion does a much better job of promoting that community's existence than Cata/MoP/WoD did, myself, but it is having to start from a point where a vast swathe of guilds basically ceased to exist - all the mid-sized, mid-low ambition, full of nice people, but not "invite everyone!" guilds are basically dead, when back in say, WotLK, they were 70%+ of the guilds out there.

Finding likeminded people used to be trivial simply because such guilds were so common, and if you found a decent person, they were usually in a decent guild. Now it's pretty tough - the guild finder is basically useless, and other methods of finding guilds are focused entirely on finding "WE AIM FOR MYTHIC!!!"-type raiding guilds of fairly serious (at least in their minds) nature. So you either have to go with an "invite everyone" social guild, or a super-serious MYTHIC RAIDERZ guild, and just hope maybe you bump into a "decent people who like to have fun" guild some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Vineri View Post
    Verant / Sony carried the term MMORPG beyond Ultima Online. It was not a single player game, unless you were in nub areas or walking around the peaceful towns. Or traveling cross-continent. Those were the single player aspects.

MMO's slid downhill over the years to mean single player with multiplayer options. WoW takes it further to make everything acessible, with multiplayer available if you want to group with friends, yet not necessary to "beat the game". Not quite the original taste of MMO, IMO.

Single player in the original WoW was quite difficult. The rewards for multiplayer activities was Pavlov - fast advancement was a reward for participating in multiplayer content.

Auto-grouping (retail WoW) with random strangers is not very community oriented, but that is a topic unto itself. Unfortunately, it's not very MMO either, honestly.

The end result is bland. /sigh
    Making a genre more accessible is what Blizzard does. What they did with WoW is no different than what they have always done. Blizzard sent out surveys to players who played EQ, UO and other MMOs and asked what three things do you like and dislike about their particular game and shaped WoW based on the responses along with their goals. The only thing not really accessible was raiding. If you look at who was in charge of raid design it was none other than former top EQ raiders/guild leaders with that hardcore mentality. Other than that, WoW was pretty easy and accessible. Outside of dungeons, raiding and the occasional TM/SS or Crossroads PvP, I rarely was in a group. I completed most of the so called group quests solo, needed a group for the mount quests. And please tell me what you mean by auto grouping? If you are talking about LFG that didn't happen until 3.3. We did have the BGs in Vanilla that grouped you up to. But both scenarios players wished to be automatically grouped. Rift forces you into a group for rifts, WoW never did anything like that.