Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Assuming all of NA gets the same world quests, there is a fishing world quest up right now to kill Queen Queenfish in Azshara. First fishing quest I have seen in 5 days. Only a couple hours until it expires, get while the getting is good.

15+ Year Old Account
    Did the entire chain to get the pole on my hunter today. Neat little event, a little disappointing about the rare fish being useless after you hit 800 and haven't gotten the pole yet. I'm hoping somewhere down the line we see artifact knowledge effecting this item. It takes a total of 276,270 AP to acquire every trait, which is 5525.4 rare fish. I just did a test run with the rusty brooch+arcane lure and over the span of the span of the 10 min arcane I was able to farm a second, and then third brooch, so ideally this would continue onward so long as you kept the arcane lure on. During this 10 minute span I managed to farm 52 Ghostly rares, probably would have gotten 2-3 more but i was low on bag space so I had to stop and vendor mount some items, along with having to kill the murloc when he spawned. So let's say you lowball average 50 fish every 10 minutes, you are looking at(if I did my math correctly) 18.4 hours worth of just fishing these fish. That's not including the time you'll have to stop to go get more arcane lures.

To me, this is a bit excessive. I think they either need to use the daily quests, and add some AP items that can be acquired after you get the pole. That or like it has been suggested, some artifact knowledge would be grand.

- - - Updated - - -

Fished up around 190 ghostly this morning to bring my level up to 14. I did run into a drop rate issue where twice I didn't get another brooch during the ten minute window. I had a standby waiting via MOLLE for the first, the second I was right at the number of fish I needed for the AP so I quit. I went to grab a couple brooch's from the AH this afternoon to get back on it, but their price on my server was up to 6k, so I nabbed two vrykul items for 2kish a piece and headed to Stormheim. Had no issues with getting extra lure to drop during the time limit, up until the 4th pass, again I had a spare in the mail so I got back at it. Fished up the 180 something fish just to take me from 14 to 15, and called it a day. I'll likely be sticking with Stormheim from now on, not because of the lure, more that you don't have to deal with killing a murloc like in Aszuna.

Few thoughts about the pole abilities. The fish an entire pool thing is very neat, and is a good time saver but like everything with the pole, I wish it was worldwide(minus fishing tourney). Undercurrent is useless in Legion, even on day one of launch I never spotted enough pools to make that viable. Hell, I think the most pools I've seen in one location was 4, and they were barracuda in Suramar. Turning to a fish is awesome, so nice to be able to move quickly without having to mount up. Way of the Flounder would be really awesome, if it just applied whenever the pole was equipped. 95% of the time if I get aggro from a mob while I'm out fishing, it is when I'm on the approach to a pool. Only being applied while you fishing, which breaks when you catch something, is rather useless.

Bloodsail Admiral Brightamethyst's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gracin View Post
    Undercurrent is useless in Legion, even on day one of launch I never spotted enough pools to make that viable.
    Seriously. What is the point of Undercurrent? Pools in legion are so rare and spread out that the odds of actually being in range of one at any given time is pretty much nil (except in Suramar where pools are EVERYWHERE.) And the range is short enough that when it will work the pool is usually close enough to just walk to anyway. It might be useful if it had a much bigger range, but as is it's completely worthless for quickly finding and getting to pools.

7+ Year Old Account
    being able to turn in 20 of a fish to the women at the fountain for 10% increase on Ap for your fishing artifact, and able to put in a work order for each 12 hours, and can que up 10, that would be very good, cause yes it needs artifact knowledge, but it wouldent make sense for the default one to be it because they are researching your weapon... not a fishing pole (even though the AP obtained for your fishing rod counts towards the 100k for the class hall belt)

also one of the worst things is, once you max your weapon the 8% extra duration on rare lures per trait unlocked becomes usless... because well once you max the weapon the only thing rare fish are good for is selling... and at 1 every 10 seconds, thats a gold a second... and that is actuallty sadly not THAT amazing... because that means 3k a hour of just fishing... there is much faster ways to farm...

so the only thing worth while leveling up the weapon a ton for is that you are the one to fish up each fish...

or you could just get 3 people in your guild who plan to provide fish for the raids to each go to 2 differant fish types, and it will take like 1 hour for them to get that, and banm, youve got all types of fish covered...

if maxing it allowed you to ALLWAYS instantly catch whole pools, and get some extra fish more then if you fished in it normally, that would be awesome... right now it just seems more of a "wait... why am i leveling it...?"
    Last edited by FelPlague; 2016-09-26 at 07:04 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

it's been less than a month since the expansion released and people are complaining about the rate of AP gain for a profession weapon of all things.

if you only catch 10 rare fish a day, you'll max the weapon in about a year and a half, and then probably still have half a year to go before the next expansion releases.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wombats23 View Post
    it's been less than a month since the expansion released and people are complaining about the rate of AP gain for a profession weapon of all things.

if you only catch 10 rare fish a day, you'll max the weapon in about a year and a half, and then probably still have half a year to go before the next expansion releases.
    First of all, this is a discussion about the rate and how it can be improved upon.

And for those who are just completionists that rate may be fine. But for those who are the ones farming for guild materials, a year and a half is ludicrous.

Does anyone know, is the Lack of Artifact knowledge applying intentional and the tooltip just a bug or vice versa? Sure would make maxing this thing a lot less painful.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjavitis View Post
    Does anyone know, is the Lack of Artifact knowledge applying intentional and the tooltip just a bug or vice versa? Sure would make maxing this thing a lot less painful.
    I thought maybe AK doesn't apply to this as each of my 5 ranks in AK i have checked back and I always get 50 AP per rare fish.

Also, I think they nerfed it as I used to get 4min+ duration on rare buff but its been 2mins for weeks now...

Bloodsail Admiral Brightamethyst's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty sure the lack of Artifact Knowledge is intentional. I would expect there to be separate AK for the rod, if anything. Besides, the rod is brand new and we were there when it was made. What lore is there to research?

Quote Originally Posted by Themanintobuildafire View Post
    Also, I think they nerfed it as I used to get 4min+ duration on rare buff but its been 2mins for weeks now...
    I'm still getting 4+ minutes on lures. If you're not it's probably a bug.

The AP requirements are crazy without the multiplicator you get on the Artefact Weapon. You get 50 AP for one rare fish.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

Deleted

not sure thats how its supposed to work...

there are so many bugs with this artifact its mindblowing, i bet artifact knowledge was supposed to work with this artifact

Quote Originally Posted by Brightamethyst View Post
    Pretty sure the lack of Artifact Knowledge is intentional. I would expect there to be separate AK for the rod, if anything. Besides, the rod is brand new and we were there when it was made. What lore is there to research?
    Murloc and Fishing lore? Technically the Frost DK weapons are 'new' (you literally craft them during the quest) so all the lore you get from AK is about Frostmourne.

'Rusty Queenfish Brooch' in Azsuna or 'Ancient Vrykul Ring' in Stormheim, gives you a 10 min buff to see the invisible schools. And really these are quite common to catch. The schools are at fix locations so using these buffs optimally (go where you know the school is and then use the item) gives in average ~40 rare fish.
    So 10 rare fish a day seems a bit on the low side, unless you are just casually fishing to get mats for food buffs and not farming AP.

Tbh I'm more concerned about the % to loot the whole school. Given the time invested in this artifact I would expect a 99% chance for 3/3 skill. So far I haven't seen a noticeable difference between rank 1 and rank 3.