Thread: Arcane Mastery?

Horde Arcane Mastery?

With the Buffs coming Live in 24 hours will mastery take over or at least be held a little higher?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    According to the latest sims(only thing we really have to go off of) it's Crit>mastery>haste for NTSpam and Crit>haste>mastery for a normal rotation.
    Where did you find this information? I can't find it and I think I've looked everywhere on the simulation craft front page sim.

Quote Originally Posted by CHNurf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    According to the latest sims(only thing we really have to go off of) it's Crit>mastery>haste for NTSpam and Crit>haste>mastery for a normal rotation.
    Where did you find this information? I can't find it and I think I've looked everywhere on the simulation craft front page sim.

Likewise, the Simulationcraft page is still showing:

# Gear Summary
    # gear_ilvl=842.00
    # gear_stamina=17964
    # gear_intellect=18709
    # gear_crit_rating=7967
    # gear_haste_rating=3966
    # gear_mastery_rating=1603
    # gear_versatility_rating=4329

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Franktank View Post
    Likewise, the Simulationcraft page is still showing:

# Gear Summary
    # gear_ilvl=842.00
    # gear_stamina=17964
    # gear_intellect=18709
    # gear_crit_rating=7967
    # gear_haste_rating=3966
    # gear_mastery_rating=1603
    # gear_versatility_rating=4329
    Surely you cannot simply go off of that as your stat priority? Where are the weights? And the gear profile still uses alot of the gear it did before the hotfix.

10+ Year Old Account
    You have to copy the NTspam profile for yourself and then run a simulation with stat scaling. The sims they do for the frontpage don't include scaling reports. And the default Arcane profile isn't NT spam.

Stat weights are individual. There can be a general guideline, but that doesn't mean that if crit/haste are top stats that you exclusively want to take gear that has crit and haste.

I planned to run them for myself (and actually did, but had to go out and forgot to check the results lol).

The sims are also based on item level 840 and full weapons, when in reality we have better gear, but weaker weapons. It's always better to run stuff for yourself.
    My magic will tear you apart.

I don't think simcraft has been updated properly.

Mastery was already very close to the other stats.\

This was the simcraft profile's weights BEFORE the change

I can't imagine mastery not being just as good if not better.
    Last edited by Nitros14; 2016-09-26 at 04:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitros14 View Post
    I don't think simcraft has been updated properly.

Mastery was already very close to the other stats.

I'm assuming with a 20% mastery buff mastery will be higher.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Krycin View Post
    I'm assuming with a 20% mastery buff mastery will be higher.
    It requires a 40-50% mastery buff and a 100% mana regen buff to be any viable.

the way i read it was that the mastery effect was buffed 20% but the % per point is still higher than the other stats so stacking mastery is still not viable. i may be wrong though.
    Intel i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz | Asetek 550LC 120MM Watercooler | MSI Z97 PC MATE | XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB | ADATA 16GB DDR3-2133MHz XPG V3 |
    1TB WD Caviar Blue | 128GB Sandisk Z400S SSD | NZXT Phantom 410 | EVGA 750W SuperNova G1 80+ GOLD | External 2TB WD Elements

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    It requires a 40-50% mastery buff and a 100% mana regen buff to be any viable.
    This doesn't make sense to me. You *should* be able to just multiply the value of Mastery in that table by 1.2, putting it at 6.06 DPS per point, making it the best stat. Or am I reading it wrong?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CHNurf View Post
    This doesn't make sense to me. You *should* be able to just multiply the value of Mastery in that table by 1.2, putting it at 6.06 DPS per point, making it the best stat. Or am I reading it wrong?
    Think about the following question: how does the mastery buff affect our gameplay (rotation, mana levels, ability to stay at 4 charges longer, duration of burn phase, etc.), and how does that in turn change the interaction of the other stats?

I can't answer that question without Robo-Mage (the one playing the simulation) giving me that information.

Also, stat weights are personal. For example, if my Haste is really close to being enough to fit in another cast of Blast/Missiles into Arcane Power, it's likely that Haste will show as my best stat until I do that, but then Haste will probably drop in favor of Crit until you get more Haste for whatever reason. It sounds complicated, but you just have to think a bit about all the interactions.

I don't understand why people are confused about the mastery change.

The change is effectively:

Increases your Mana regeneration rate and maximum Mana by Masteryx120% (Old - 100%).

Arcane Charges increase the damage of affected spells by an additional Masteryx60% (Old - 50%).

Mastery is 350rating=1%, and 8% base. So 4200 Mastery Rating will give 20% Base Mastery (12% from rating, 8% base). Modifiers applied, that's 24% mana/regen and 12% damage (Was 20%/10%).

Basing that off the simcraft weightings, you should also be able to simply multiply mastery value by 1.2 for a rough estimate, though for accuracy I would run more sims.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shangalar View Post
    Think about the following question: how does the mastery buff affect our gameplay (rotation, mana levels, ability to stay at 4 charges longer, duration of burn phase, etc.), and how does that in turn change the interaction of the other stats?

I can't answer that question without Robo-Mage (the one playing the simulation) giving me that information.

Also, stat weights are personal. For example, if my Haste is really close to being enough to fit in another cast of Blast/Missiles into Arcane Power, it's likely that Haste will show as my best stat until I do that, but then Haste will probably drop in favor of Crit until you get more Haste for whatever reason. It sounds complicated, but you just have to think a bit about all the interactions.
    Obviously, all of this is true. But as the poster above me said, what I said is also true and for the profile used for the sims, Mastery should be the best stat, and by quite a large margin considering how close the other stats are. This *should* apply across the board.

Also RIP Nether Tempest spam, you will not be missed.

It's never quite linear when there's so many stats that interact with each other and the priority of spells. I would definitely also be puzzled if mastery isn't the best stat now, but "RoboMage" can math it out better than we can.

Also, I heard whispers that NT spam still might be best, so we'll have to see.

According to the latest SimCraft, my stat weights are:
    .88 Mastery
    .81 Crit/Vers
    .77 Haste

I realize this is different for everyone, but it matches what would be expected from the buff according to my previous weights. The nerfing of Quickening also made Haste a viable secondary (obviously the worst but not by nearly as much), which is a welcome change. When comparing items I no longer need to forgo an upgrade unless it's only 5 ilevels and the main secondary is haste. I'd say that's a pretty good weight distribution.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've made some tests on the subject and posted them in the Arcane sticky thread to get a discussion going there and shift away from multiple threads, so I'll be locking this.