Thread: Help my tanking

Help my tanking

I know patch is coming tomorrow, so might be pointless. But I still want to know if anybody can help me improve my tanking surv. I am trying to go for haste over mast/vers, but I decided to change recently but now I am omw back to haste. When comparing logs, I find my IP uptime being way lower than many others. Instead of 90% uptime I have like 55% uptime, I have tried alot. I have tried waiting for atleast 30 rage(with FR up) before casting, though it didnt feel like much of a change. I will try link my log and my armory and see if you can help me, I feel I've tried everything else ;/

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...mmary&source=9
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...aiseren/simple

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    You have a ton of FR counts. Are you only using those when you have excess rage, or are you sacrificing Shield Blocks/IPs for them?

You see I actually tend to use an FR just to have the buff up for every IP, but dunno if it's advised only to use on procs. There might be a couple of overlaps in there, you know FR buff x2 which I know is stupid ofc. YEah and I might sacrifice rage for it aswell tbh.

Focused Rage

16.20% 76 68.82%

Ignore Pain

14.07% 66 57.10%

Shield Block

5.12% 24

You couldnt be tanking the boss at full duration since you have to swap, so the uptime is understandable if you wanted to do extra dps.

But, if you were trying to keep IP refreshed without focusing on DPSing, yes there is a problem ;o

10 more FR casts than IP casts, which means you either panicked and missed them double refreshing, or simply didnt refresh IP when not tanking Xavius.

Low number of shield blocks is what worries me >_>

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    Low number of shield blocks is what worries me >_>
    Agreed. I'd definitely focus less on FR and DPS and get that Sblock uptime more. Sblock uptime is proportional to IP uptime, too. Looking at your FR uptime, it seems pretty consistent throughout the fight. This leads me to think that you're focusing on it even while maintanking, and I think that's where your problem lies. Using FR when you have excess rage is fine, but until you get your Sblock uptime to a better level, I'd put FR further down your priority list.

Deleted
    Cosmophile is right, you're not using enough rage generating abilities.
    I would also recommend going back to Haste > Mastery > Versa. Currently in my gear at around 30% haste without buffs, I can generally keep close to 100% uptime on SB with quite decent mastery is nice as your IP's last longer vs boss melee hits, and also like Cosmophile said, make sure you're not using back to back focused rages or you're just wasting rage. Also, in that 7 minute fight, you casted Intercept 4 times, 3 on the bosses, you should be using this pretty much on CD on your co-tank or close melee as it's a good source of rage generation... I would recommend a mouse over macro or focus macro for this.. Other problems here are your lack of the Artifact use ability, why did you only use it once? It critical blocks all attacks coming through? Not sure why you wouldn't use it. As your running with the Ultimatum trait, using battle cry twice in a 7 minute fight makes no sense as you're shield slams in that period are guaranteed to crit. Also noticed your low usage of demo shout, which should be used a lot more often..

I hope this helped you realise that you're cooldown management could be improved whilst also mastering the vengeance talent is important. Hope you found this helpful

Thank you all for your answers, helps alot. I've only learned about the intercept stuff after our Xavius raid (shame on me), and I will make more use of my artifact for sure. However I assumed that you only use IP whenever you have an FR buff up, is that correct or wrong?
    Last edited by Kongnic11; 2016-09-28 at 11:19 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kongnic11 View Post
    However I assumed that you only use IP whenever you have an FR buff up, is that correct or wrong?
    Not exactly. Ideally, you would like to use it as much as possible, but don't not use it if the situation demands it and almost use it as a "panic button" but playing with a Haste>Mastery build allows for smooth tanking and damage intake so it's very rarely you'll find yourself in that situation

so haste / mastery is still good after the rage nerf? I assumed Mastery / Versa now. I'm still keeping my Ultimatum / Vengeance / Heavy Repercussions talent set-up.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Volkahn View Post
    so haste / mastery is still good after the rage nerf? I assumed Mastery / Versa now.
    Icy Veins had versatility > mastery > haste > crit since day one, and that's still listed as the priority for damage reduction, although they've added an alternative as "control/smooth damage intake" for haste > versatility > mastery > crit.

Either way, versatility is better than mastery. At least according to the guys at Icy Veins; whether you have a problem with their expertise is another matter.
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2016-09-28 at 01:37 PM.

I'll look into gearing for the "control / smooth damage" strat for now. Thanks.

When I check alot of people on logs, they go vers/mastery. But I do see an equal amount of haste/mas tbh. Sco is haste aswell. But will Vengeance talent still be the best after nerf??

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Either way, versatility is better than mastery. At least according to the guys at Icy Veins; whether you have a problem with their expertise is another matter.
    Well, I just checked another site, Noxxic, and they said Stamina > Haste > Mastery > Versatility > Strength > Crit so I mean.. have you even tested the stats yourself or have you just gone and taken Icy Veins as the Bible or have you actually tested th stats yourself? I for one have tested pretty much every stat build myself and found Haste>Mastery>Versa more rewarding for playing better, whilst also being more fun and an outright stronger build.
    However, there's not much difference between the 3 stats so there is not "outright" right build at the moment for warrior. But considering looking through OP's logs, rage generation seemed a very big issue, haste would be the best route for him to take.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by itsFemmer View Post
    Well, I just checked another site, Noxxic, and they said Stamina > Haste > Mastery > Versatility > Strength > Crit so I mean.. have you even tested the stats yourself or have you just gone and taken Icy Veins as the Bible or have you actually tested th stats yourself? I for one have tested pretty much every stat build myself and found Haste>Mastery>Versa more rewarding for playing better, whilst also being more fun and an outright stronger build.
    However, there's not much difference between the 3 stats so there is not "outright" right build at the moment for warrior. But considering looking through OP's logs, rage generation seemed a very big issue, haste would be the best route for him to take.
    Like I said, if you've got a problem with the people who write up the guides on Icy Veins, feel free not to believe their findings. The people whose advice you're taking if looking at the Icy Veins guide are mentioned in the intro. I don't see anything similar on Noxxic, so I have no idea whose advice that even is.