Deleted

Unholy Dk low on dps. Help me figure it out

Before i say anything, i would like to thank anyone for their help.

I am the raid leader for our guild and we are currently starting "progress"on Mythic Ursoc.
    We have an Unholy dk that seems to be underpreforming quite a lot. Seeing as i don't know much about dk's myself i am hoping that you guys could point out some "flaws" in playstyle. I will then pass this info on to him and discuss it.

Here are some logs and his armory.

warcraftlogs.com/reports/Cg2KTNHmQWAGhrf6/#fight=12&type=damage-done
    eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/twisting-nether/%C3%8Av/advanced

Thank you

Deleted
    He doesnt know how to gear properly. Not a single proper ring.

What is he doing with 67% mastery? He needs crit and haste. Not mastery, mastery is the worst stat for unholy atm

plus, he got really bad traits like gravitional pull or runic tatoos instead the darkest crusade

Last edited by mmoc26e95cd1e9; 2016-10-18 at 11:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruusc View Post
    He doesnt know how to gear properly. Not a single proper ring.

What is he doing with 67% mastery? He needs crit and haste. Not mastery, mastery is the worst stat for unholy atm
    This is correct, i would kinda understand the mastery if he did claws instead of cas. But Drop all the mastery and get above 35% crit.

On Ursoc he could try switching to All Will Serve from Bursting Sores and Necrosis instead of Infected Claws, I don't think those will be huge differences but on a fight like Ursoc could help.

Grunt
    7+ Year Old Account
    Firstly, it looks like he's using army of the dead on pull? That should be saved for when bloodlust is used. His two trinkets are terrible, 840 crit stat sticks are better than those. His talents are fine. In general his itemization is quite poor, crit is his best stat, yet he has almost none of it. For example, i'm sitting at ~35% crit and a little over 20% haste. The mark of the claw enchant is terrible, satyr is the best one by far, with armies close behind. I would suggest picking up some crit haste crafted rings to help fix his stat problems.

Now in regards to the boss fight itself. He needs to learn how to effectively use his/her cooldowns correctly. In this case, you can see that you will only get two uses of gargoyle, therefore instead of using gargoyle on the 3 minute mark, he should be saving it for bloodlust at that 30% mark.

Another major point of issue, is the usage of soul reaper. Quite often he's either straight out forgetting to use it for a whole minute or gets distracted. It's a 45 second cooldown, and our strongest one. It has to be used on cooldown. You should KNOW it is about to come up, and therefore prepare with wounds / runes beforehand.

One more important factor for increasing damage on this fight, especially on the nightmare images is proper pet micro. As you can see in a bunch of those attempts, his pet is doing very little to the add and boss during the time those adds are up. This can be remedied somewhat through manual pet micro. His dark transformation usage isn't that bad either which is good. Otherwise not too bad, it will take him a little bit to practise all of this at once though so don't be too hard on him, especially the pet micro.

Edit: also using 375 crit food instead of 300 haste would help too

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Casterbridge View Post
    On Ursoc he could try switching to All Will Serve from Bursting Sores and Necrosis instead of Infected Claws, I don't think those will be huge differences but on a fight like Ursoc could help.
    No those two talents are superior, given there is cleave.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Saftis View Post
    This is correct, i would kinda understand the mastery if he did claws instead of cas. But Drop all the mastery and get above 35% crit.
    Mastery isnt a bad stat, its just terrible for ST, but if he had the bracers it would be a different story, crit ends up in the dumps and then haste is king with mastery secondary.

Deleted
    1. bad talent selection, he should be using more like 1/2/2/1/1/2/3 for that fight
    2. bad gear, he has very low crit on his eq, unholy stat prio is crit>haste>mastery>versatility
    3. he went wrong way in a artifact tree, his The Darkest Crusade trait is currently 1/3 which is pretty bad
    4. he is sometimes overcapping his Festering Wounds, when you use castigator you should always look to not use Festering Strike after you have more than 3 Festering Wounds on the target, instead pop it by Scourge Strike
    5. Bad trinkets, from my experience I know how much dps gives good trinket, like Angerboda.

Grunt
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KubaS View Post
    1. bad talent selection, he should be using more like 1/2/2/1/1/2/3 for that fight
    2. bad gear, he has very low crit on his eq, unholy stat prio is crit>haste>mastery>versatility
    3. he went wrong way in a artifact tree, his The Darkest Crusade trait is currently 1/3 which is pretty bad
    4. he is sometimes overcapping his Festering Wounds, when you use castigator you should always look to not use Festering Strike after you have more than 3 Festering Wounds on the target, instead pop it by Scourge Strike
    5. Bad trinkets, from my experience I know how much dps gives good trinket, like Angerboda.
    His talent selection is fine, and using festering strike on 3 wounds is fine, you don't use it on 5 or above, then you risk overcapping (obviously with infected claws its better to stick with 4)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vatyr View Post
    Firstly, it looks like he's using army of the dead on pull? That should be saved for when bloodlust is used. His two trinkets are terrible, 840 crit stat sticks are better than those. His talents are fine. In general his itemization is quite poor, crit is his best stat, yet he has almost none of it. For example, i'm sitting at ~35% crit and a little over 20% haste. The mark of the claw enchant is terrible, satyr is the best one by far, with armies close behind. I would suggest picking up some crit haste crafted rings to help fix his stat problems.

Now in regards to the boss fight itself. He needs to learn how to effectively use his/her cooldowns correctly. In this case, you can see that you will only get two uses of gargoyle, therefore instead of using gargoyle on the 3 minute mark, he should be saving it for bloodlust at that 30% mark.

Another major point of issue, is the usage of soul reaper. Quite often he's either straight out forgetting to use it for a whole minute or gets distracted. It's a 45 second cooldown, and our strongest one. It has to be used on cooldown. You should KNOW it is about to come up, and therefore prepare with wounds / runes beforehand.

One more important factor for increasing damage on this fight, especially on the nightmare images is proper pet micro. As you can see in a bunch of those attempts, his pet is doing very little to the add and boss during the time those adds are up. This can be remedied somewhat through manual pet micro. His dark transformation usage isn't that bad either which is good. Otherwise not too bad, it will take him a little bit to practise all of this at once though so don't be too hard on him, especially the pet micro.

Edit: also using 375 crit food instead of 300 haste would help too

- - - Updated - - -

No those two talents are superior, given there is cleave.

- - - Updated - - -

Mastery isnt a bad stat, its just terrible for ST, but if he had the bracers it would be a different story, crit ends up in the dumps and then haste is king with mastery secondary.
    This is how you help ppl

bravo!

/10chars

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey There,

I also went over your logs, most people have spoken about talents and food and all that wonderful stuff.
    I just see that he is missing some timings, perhaps saving it for something else.
    Ursoc is a 2 target fight Infected Claws is not a bad thing to have if you have DT up and you are popping wounds inside of D&D, although one thing stands out like a thorn, his up time on his virulent plague is around 60% meaning refreshing the DoT is not occurring, he might also benefit more by dropping Castigator and going Clawing Shadows if he is stacking this much mastery (could be RNG related) also as the poster above said SR should always be used as soon as it comes off CD and you are able to pop 3+ wounds in order to get the haste buff.

Hope this information helps

Cast Efficiency:

Apocalypse Casts: 3/4 (75%)
    Dark Transformation: 5/5 (100%)
    Soul Reaper: 5/7 (71%)
    Death & Decay 6/10 (60%)

Virulent Plague Uptime: 366s/602s (60%)

Who cares about stats ? I'm pretty sure I could do much more DPS than him if I had played his char. All these specifics gears won't help him. At best he'll probably be doing like 5% more dps.
    Jesus chris, look @ his ilvl. No matter what stats he has, he should be pulling more than that.
    If I remember correctly, I pulled roughly the same amount of dps (probably less) and I'm only 849 (with the same fucked up stats, because I haven't really been lucky with the drops and I never play raids + stopped playing).

Edit : Do you think I could see the old warcraft logs if I log in for the first time now ? Even though my character is frozen ?
    Last edited by Raiz; 2016-10-18 at 02:08 PM.

Grunt
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiz View Post
    Who cares about stats ? I'm pretty sure I could do much more DPS than him if I had played his char. All these specifics gears won't help him. At best he'll probably be doing like 5% more dps.
    Jesus chris, look @ his ilvl. No matter what stats he has, he should be pulling more than that.
    If I remember correctly, I pulled roughly the same amount of dps (probably less) and I'm only 849 (with the same fucked up stats, because I haven't really been lucky with the drops and I never play raids + stopped playing).

Edit : Do you think I could see the old warcraft logs if I log in for the first time now ? Even though my character is frozen ?
    I mean this isn't about you. It's about how this guy can improve. Having less mastery and doubling his crit will increase his damage significantly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saftis View Post
    You know that's not always possible right?

I ended up with a shitload of mastery against my will - the gear I was given from raids all has mastery on it but 880 with mastery > 850 with crit. You don't get to choose sometimes, you just get what the game gives you and if it's an upgrade you equip it.
    RIP Breath of Sindragosa - 23/06/2015 - The day fun died.

That 1/3 in darkest crusade though haha. 243k dps @ 871 ilvl is rough. He should listen to whoever posted earlier and he will see a significant boost in his dps. considering how he killed mythic archi in WoD one would think that he would know how to play his spec effectively. If all of this advice doesn't work I think it's best you send him to the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Vatyr View Post
    I mean this isn't about you. It's about how this guy can improve. Having less mastery and doubling his crit will increase his damage significantly.
    You're right, it's not about me. All I'm saying is, he's playing his class wrong. His stats matters less when his rotation is the most lackluster. He'd gain much more DPS if he was playing his rotation correctly compared to putting the right stats.

First he seriously needs to review his rotation and then, he can try to get better trinkets / rings. And then food.

I'd strongly suggest him to use some addon like ElvUI or compact runes. I'm pretty sure he'd be pulling at least 50K more.
    Last edited by Raiz; 2016-10-19 at 01:34 PM.

Fellow DKs, I need your help !

I have two items that would change my crit/haste % and I'm confused which is better:

option A would get me 28% crit 18% haste
    option B would get me 32.28% crit 14.47% haste

Which option should I go with ?

Note: castigator/si/soul reaper build

I would go with Option B.

But you can always use simcraft and sim yourself to see the difference.

Deleted
    Generally i found my simcrafts to favor haste until 15-16% and then its crit again, but yes, as mentioned, simcraft it.

I would stay with option A, going under 18-19% haste is very noticeable difference.

10+ Year Old Account
    Simming at 36% crit, 11% haste puts my stat weights at Crit = Haste > master = vers.