Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    Lol I know right
    Wahhh the game is so antisocial. The games community is gone
    Way the game is social. The community is back. I want it gone
    You're making the tragic assumption that those two complaints come from the same people.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by grandgato View Post
    This just means that there are other players in the world you inhabit, not that there is any sort of expectation that you must or should interact with them to play the game.
    SOlutions is simple: play a freaking single player game.
    Or clear your friendlist...

Quote Originally Posted by RoKPaNda View Post
    You're making the tragic assumption that those two complaints come from the same people.
    The sad thing is that they do.

So, if you're too fucking timid to tell your friends that you don't want to play with them it's time to log off and go outside because if your social skills have deteriorated this much you need to get some sunlight and take a good long look at your life because you're destined to live a lonely failed existence. Communication is success in life.

Quote Originally Posted by SharkLazorz View Post
    OK, well go ahead and do try to be part of any real life community without any social interaction? How do you think that'll work out for you?
    The question was not about broadcasting everything, it was about default expectations that "communities" set on you (or the society in general if you want larger scope).

Certain level of social interaction is expected in MMOs. Read the thread I was replying to.
    Yes certain level of social interaction is expected, nobody denied that, but the point is there there should be a choice about how much info is automaticly broadcast to everyone in your friends list. It's like having a GPS tracking on all the time IRL where your friends can any time check where you are, and even give sound alerts for certain actions(like cycling thru 10 alts does). Sure it may be useful for someone but it should be voluntary.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by impending doom View Post
    Yes certain level of social interaction is expected, nobody denied that
    Actually the poster I originally replied to pretty much did just exactly that. The rest of you jumped on the discussion after my reply, most likely not reading the whole thread of replies.

I'm not disputing the automatic broadcasts point. I agree that not everything should be broadcast to everyone.

Massively multiplayer online game kinda sets the expectation default to social interaction. As does "community".
    I'm not talking about the social interaction in general, but specifically about the people who feel entitled to that interaction.

The thing is, the WoW community is fundamentally unhealthy. See the casual/raider argument, group finder issues wrt to gear score/miscellaneous bullshit, loot issues wrt to that one addon, etc. And this is a side effect of the "always on" social media experience.

You know the whole SJW/anti-SJW thing that's going on atm? That's another symptom of the same issue. Once upon a time it was possible for people to go home, lock the door, and indulge in a hobby in order to de-stress/recharge. Nowadays, with people constantly plugged into facebook/twitter/tumblr/etc., there is no recharge period for anyone. You are always plugged into what's going on around you, and you are always being made aware of other peoples' distasteful beliefs or hobbies (it doesn't matter what those beliefs are wrt to this discussion).

Videogames are also largely an introverted hobby, and if you don't understand why introverts need time and space to de-stress without having to explain themselves to every tom, dick, and harry who want them to go do whatever right now, then you a) aren't an introvert and b) will probably never be capable of understanding why they find you so exhausting to be near (even if they like you!).

Giving people the tools to control their social experience would actually greatly benefit the game and the community in general. An offline option would allow people to indulge in their hobby of blizzard games and then choose to interact with other people once they feel like they can handle it. Forcing people to be social only results in those people hating both you and everyone you're making them interact with.

(Things weren't any better in vanilla, for the record. The WoW community has been seen as a cesspool by outsiders for almost as long as it's existed, and the only reason it wasn't noticed as much then was because of the high turnover rate in players.)

Actually the poster I originally replied to pretty much did just exactly that. The rest of you jumped on the discussion after my reply, most likely not reading the whole thread of replies.
    You misunderstood my post, then.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutris View Post
    Videogames are also largely an introverted hobby, and if you don't understand why introverts need time and space to de-stress without having to explain themselves to every tom, dick, and harry who want them to go do whatever right now, then you a) aren't an introvert and b) will probably never be capable of understanding why they find you so exhausting to be near (even if they like you!).
    We're talking about people on your friends list here. Not every tom, dick, and harry. Friends. Presumably these folks should be counted into your Dunbar's number limit. If you can't be social with them in an MMO.. then why are they on your friends list in the first place?

We're talking about people on your friends list here. Not every tom, dick, and harry. Friends. Presumably these folks should be counted into your Dunbar's number limit. If you can't be social with them in an MMO.. then why are they on your friends list in the first place?
    The thing about the battlenet id list is that it's most useful for collecting randoms for later mythic dungeon queues and cross server grouping, not actual friends listing.

The people you see complaining about how hard it is to get into mythic dungeons? That's because they use their bnet list like a friends list, and as such only have two or three people on it for the reasons we both have mentioned.

As an aside, if you're actually friends with people you probably don't even need a list for them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cause Blizzard wants artificial communities, and it does that making it impossible to not be a part of one instead of changing the system to favor them like Vanilla/BC eras. Same reason BNet will never get an appear offline mode, or how the next social media integration is probably already halfway down the pipeline.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyky View Post
    Me too...I love a lot of my friends, but they're not geared or skilled enough to be a part of the higher ended Mythic+ that I run.
    Lol

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by scrangos View Post
    But mythic+ doesnt have a queue, so they cant use quickjoin to join you =o
    you can quickjoin any group listed in lfg (like RBGs)

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    That would be nice, I hate dropping or having others drop queues in order to have to requeue together.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!