500 int vs 8% more damage (legendary question)

I have an unfortunate predicament - two legendaries dropped for me last week, but I still have a month to go until I can wear them both. One was the legs of the dark portal and the other was the shawl.

Problem is that the legs are a much greater upgrade in terms of raw stats to what the cape would be. The difference in stats comes out to about 500 more int if I wear legs over the shawl (I already included secondary stats into the 500 int figure), but the shawl provides a flat 8% more damage increase on most fights.

My gut tells me the shawl is going to provide a greater damage increase, despite the fact that the legs have 500 more int. Does anyone think otherwise?

It's not 8%, since not all of your damage transfers via havoc. It's more like a 5-6% increase on two targets. on a single target it's roughly a 2% increase.

500 int would only be better than 2% increase at less than

500 * 100/2 = 25,000 Int.

Since we all have more than 25k intellect, Shawl will always be better (even on single target) than a 500 int upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Turturin the Warlock View Post
    It's not 8%, since not all of your damage transfers via havoc. It's more like a 5-6% increase on two targets. on a single target it's roughly a 2% increase.

500 int would only be better than 2% increase at less than

500 * 100/2 = 25,000 Int.

Since we all have more than 25k intellect, Shawl will always be better (even on single target) than a 500 int upgrade.
    Got it, thanks. Quick question - on pure single target fights, if you havoc the only target, that should be a more or less 4% upgrade because half of our dps comes from single target spells, correct? (Chaos, immo, conflag)

Not exactly, there's also the opportunity cost of not having Channel Demonfire or Soul Conduit. That's why the overall gain on single target is only ~2%

There is also the fact that those pants are basically an insult.
    When I was younger I used to hope bad things wouldn't happen.
    Now I just hope they're at least funny when they do.

Quote Originally Posted by FertsBlert View Post
    There is also the fact that those pants are basically an insult.
    To be honest, the more M+ I run, the more times I thought it'd be good to have an instant gateway since my only other source of mobilty is racial...
    It'd be funny if it weren't so pathetic... No, what the heck, I'll laugh anyway.