Did name releases happen?

I just checked the in game help and it says, "Inactive character names are released when expansions launch for World of Warcraft." I've never seen anything announced about it, maybe I wrongly assumed there'd be one. However, GMs have been telling players it'll be "soon" in the weeks post-release of Legion, so either it didn't happen or they're unaware it did.

Given that it's almost 2 months into Legion as well as 2 months past MoP's release date (4 years ago), if it hasn't happened it's overdue.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

Deleted
    Think it happens when some1 dont log in his character for 4 years, or something like that.

It did with the pre Legion patch. I was able to get 2 of my toon names on a different server that had been taken prior to that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tromage View Post
    Think it happens when some1 dont log in his character for 4 years, or something like that.
    They can't have an active account for 2 expansions. With all the 7 day free weeks and things like that it isn't the best system.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    You can just open a ticket and a GM can free the name up for you too, if the character is inactive. Done that several times.
    They wont, last time i asked a GM to do that he gave me a big ass NOPE and said to wait until a name release

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    It did with the pre Legion patch. I was able to get 2 of my toon names on a different server that had been taken prior to that.
    Dang, that's disappointing. I didn't come back until right at launch, and due to some past drama haunting me I was hoping to maybe xfer to another server but some of my names are taken by toons that can't be armory'd, meaning they must've gotten snatched up by level 1s. Bleh!

I have seen people say they got names after ban waves to so it is worth checking then too. Honestly on my current server I have checked a few times for a name I want just hoping it is released sometime.

- - - Updated - - -

You can just open a ticket and a GM can free the name up for you too, if the character is inactive. Done that several times.
    They wont anymore that is why the auto release system is in place. It follows the same guidelines the GMs do for name releases.

10+ Year Old Account
    I sent them a ticket not long before legion release and the GM said the name release happens for characters not logged in for 2 expansions and we should see one in a few weeks when the xpac is out... nope.. nothing yet.

I have seen people say they got names after ban waves to so it is worth checking then too.
    I've noticed on my server a name I've tried to add to friends says "Player not found" but if I try to make a character with it I'm told it's not available (it's not a forbidden name either as others in the armory have it). I assumed it was the 30 day hold on names of characters over level 30 that transferred or were deleted, but I never thought about ban waves. I wonder if it's the same rule?

Quote Originally Posted by taximals View Post
    I sent them a ticket not long before legion release and the GM said the name release happens for characters not logged in for 2 expansions and we should see one in a few weeks when the xpac is out... nope.. nothing yet.
    I contacted a GM about a week after launch and was told name releases hadn't happened yet, they didn't have a date, but "soon". The little bit I've found on the official forums it seems that's what they've been telling everyone who asks. Frustrating. I have no issue with the new system, but it's most certainly not automated to do name releases at launch like they said.

Edit: Forgot to mention that said GM wouldn't even tell me if the name in question would be eligible for release when it happened.
    Last edited by Lane; 2016-10-27 at 03:10 AM.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    I've noticed on my server a name I've tried to add to friends says "Player not found" but if I try to make a character with it I'm told it's not available (it's not a forbidden name either as others in the armory have it). I assumed it was the 30 day hold on names of characters over level 30 that transferred or were deleted, but I never thought about ban waves. I wonder if it's the same rule?

I contacted a GM about a week after launch and was told name releases hadn't happened yet, they didn't have a date, but "soon". The little bit I've found on the official forums it seems that's what they've been telling everyone who asks. Frustrating. I have no issue with the new system, but it's most certainly not automated to do name releases at launch like they said.

Edit: Forgot to mention that said GM wouldn't even tell me if the name in question would be eligible for release when it happened.
    I dont know for sure and while I have seen ppl claim certain things who knows if any of it is true. Blizzard isn't always crystal clear either. I have had people tell me that they tried getting names with the Legion pre patch when I did and it didn't work for them, but after Legion was live they were able to. I can't see them having 2 release dates so close together, but maybe.

10+ Year Old Account
    A lot of names were relased at the launch of Legion.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

The best thing about this, happened to me once where an alt on another server was force renamed, and having an active account at the time for 4 years, I was able to get my name back. "This is the name of my main, reserved on my #2 server my guild transferred to" and got it back no problem (noticed the force change a week earlier).

- - - Updated - - -

I had that for one toon when I was trying to create a DH. Name taken maybe a month out when i was going to reserve, 4-5 days after launch, i went to create and tried it on a whim and it was available.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Just asked a GM about this a day or 2 ago, they said they haven't done the name release for the expansion launch yet, but would be doing it soon(TM), and would announce when they did.