[Assassination] Cleave/AOE Issues

It is my understanding that when faced with 3+ mobs, basically swap out mutilate for fan of knifes, and try to get 3ish ruptures going.

However, often my dps is lower than if I skip spreading the extra ruptures and instead stay on single target with fan of knives filler (with deadly poison).

Is there a general "rule of thumb" for when to spread extra ruptures? I am guessing its based on the amount of HP the mobs have, but wanted to get some feedback on the thought process for when engaging 3+ mobs.

Also, does that process change when using agonizing poison?

15+ Year Old Account
    Are you fighting trash, or something else that otherwise lives for a short time? Don't use AP. Just put DP on until you get to a boss

In this case as well, you won't necessarily want a full 6CP Rup on everything. You do wanna put Rup on 3-4 targets, but it doesn't have to be a full stack if they're not gonna live long. What those Rups are for are energy generation so you can spam FoK-Envenom and pray for a Poison Bomb proc.

Now if you're cleaving a few targets that will live beyond the duration of a full Rupture, use AP and put a fully stacked Rup on all. Keep them rolling while you do your ST rotation, subbing FoK for Mut at 3+. When it's two target cleave, I stick with Mut and switch to the second target to refresh AP right after an Envenom, when the application chance is highest and can usually happen off a white hit.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

In a M10+, you should be using DP even if you are specced AP for the bosses. If your group has strong ST and weak AOE, you can spec into Subterfuge, which provides a nice energy and damage boost on trash pulls.

With Subterfuge - Garrote 3 targets - fok - rupture one - exsang (if you run it) - fok to 4+ cp - rupture - fok - rupture, then use your massive energy regen to either FOK-mut-FOK-mut, or if you have the Insignia of Ravenholdt, you can mut-env-mut-env. The targets should die right around the time your ruptures are ticking down. I can usually sustain about 500-650k on 3-4 targets depending on poison bomb procs with this method.

Without, it's the same, just with one Garrote.