Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by FourChan View Post
    The Chinese actually didn't complain about a few drops per boss, they are complaing about RNG. Ugh, it really diminishes the whole experience of raiding .. which is likely why the Chinese are demanding % numbers.
    This law has absolutely nothing to do with loot RNG in MMOs. Zilch. Nada. Not a single thing. The only thing the Chinese are demanding to be disclosed are the percentage drop rates of loot boxes purchased via microtransactions in social gacha-style games.

Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    I just want to say, that some players prefer "reward = effort" design and hate "Skinner chamber" one. I'm one of them. When I see <Drop rate> = X, I expect this item to drop within 2/X tries. After I've done 2/X tries - I start to feel, that I deserved this item. If item still hasn't dropped - I start feeling, that I'm being fooled. If I would know, that item wouldn't drop after expected number of tries - I wouldn't even try to get it. That's why I try to avoid content, where rewards are RNG ones. Yeah, some players love RNG and it's ok to have optional RNG rewards. But when reward is mandatory - there should always be a way to guarantee it's drop via putting some fixed amount of effort. That's why Valour points system was so great.
    Thats not how RNG or WoW works. Sorry. Wanting it hard isn't a reason you should get something.

Deleted
    The number of peeps thinking this would influence wow at all is too damn high.
    In fact it doesnt do anything to wow at all....

Quote Originally Posted by mittacc View Post
    There is nothing random with the drops...nothing is random. The "randomness" is calculated from a function f milliseconds since a specific date and is NEVER random.

Did you honestly think you can program "randomness" when there is no such thing in the world we live in?

give a set start, and a set finish, could be anywhere, then tell the game to pick a number between that line, then somewhere on that line is a chance to get something.

the game has to pick the number on that line.

to me that is random.

yes it has a start and a finish point, but the way the game picks is random.
    Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler

If you are trying to AE tank and a bad dps is attacking the wrong target and dies, we call that justice.

Quote Originally Posted by mittacc View Post
    There is nothing random with the drops...nothing is random. The "randomness" is calculated from a function f milliseconds since a specific date and is NEVER random.
    There are numerous sources of entropy a good PRNG can use besides current time. And even if they do use current time, they're more likely to use the CPUs tick count rather than something as coarse as milliseconds.

Is it really random? No. But for all practical purposes, it is, might as well complain that dice aren't random because given the direction and force with which they are thrown, physics determines which side will land face-up.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    Thats not how RNG or WoW works. Sorry. Wanting it hard isn't a reason you should get something.
    That's why I haven't bought Legion - RNG on the top of RNG on the top of another RNG isn't for me. Every item has it's reasonable "price". Crappy blues (even if they have purple color, that is just color - nothing more, lol) from 5ppls should not "cost" more, than 20 tries, sorry. And in old sweet Tanaan I have one 695ilvl Baleful item once in two days guaranteed to me - i.e. guaranteed one month per character progression. Stats are random? Yeah, but I stopped caring about stats, cuz I don't raid anymore. And raw ilvl is enough for annihilating outdoor mobs. Yeah, I try to get item with best possible stats before upgrading it to 695, but it isn't so important. Also I don't try to get items for every spec, as it was back in old sweet times of Cata - I use the same set, so having stats on some items, that are good for, let's say, tanking - isn't so bad. So, I will never need to split my time between characters, due to not getting that last item, I need, and that simply refuses to drop.

But... Now, with bad luck protection, it works exactly this way. The only question - after what amount of tries loot is guaranteed to you and whether bad luck protection has some cap or not.

Blue - chance of getting item before or on this try, red - chance of getting item exactly once, green - chance of getting item on this try.
    Last edited by WowIsDead64; 2016-12-12 at 11:40 AM.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

Sorry, in WoW nothing is guaranteed to you, which is A-Okay.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mellrod View Post
    Why would I want to be told by the government how I must play or enjoy a game, let alone eat?
    Discussions about US politics are banned but feel free to slag off the Chinese!

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    Sorry, in WoW nothing is guaranteed to you, which is A-Okay.
    Nothing? You've just invalidated all your arguments, cuz it's lie, plain and simple. You just troll me. 12 character slots per server (50 total), ability to level to 100, my garrisons, 10K Appexis a day, gear/weapon tokens and 695ilvl upgrades for Appexis - are still guaranteed to me. My money are as guaranteed to Blizzard, as this things are. If they wouldn't be guaranteed to me - no money would be guaranteed to Blizzard. Cuz paying money for things, that don't even exist - is nonsense.

P.S. RNG is for kids. Adults know real prices of things and won't let devs trick them this way.
    Last edited by WowIsDead64; 2016-12-13 at 07:19 AM.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

Quote Originally Posted by Kikazz View Post
    give a set start, and a set finish, could be anywhere, then tell the game to pick a number between that line, then somewhere on that line is a chance to get something.

the game has to pick the number on that line.

to me that is random.

yes it has a start and a finish point, but the way the game picks is random.
    It may feel random but it isn't. Point being you can make statistics without problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Banquetto View Post
    There are numerous sources of entropy a good PRNG can use besides current time. And even if they do use current time, they're more likely to use the CPUs tick count rather than something as coarse as milliseconds.

Is it really random? No. But for all practical purposes, it is, might as well complain that dice aren't random because given the direction and force with which they are thrown, physics determines which side will land face-up.
    Yes but I was replying to a guy that thought that it would be impossible to come up with statistics over drops because it's "random" when it isn't.