Deleted

is Comet Storm any good?

For me GS is slow and boring build, so i won't pick up this talent any more, unless it gets buffed. Playstyle just doesn't suits me. Especially frustrating in PvP. I don't like such a long casting spells.

Thermal void ... I don't know is it worth taking it to extend Icy Veins for maybe 4 or 6 seconds? Depends how many FoF procs you get during IV. Having 24 or 26 seconds Icy Veins instead of 20 seconds ... I don't like it, doesn't sound powerful enough

So the only one that is looking cool to me is Comet Storm. It is instant AOE spel, not bad even for single target. It could be a bit stronger but we have what we have. But i can't find any guide for what stats should i go for that build?
    GS is mastery/crit, TV is Haste/crit, what about comet Storm? Should i focus more on crit, mastery or haste? Mastery is not bad even for non GS builds. Ice Lances can do tons of dmg with mastery, but Haste and crit both look important too. Any idea? i have in mind dungeons/LFR mostly untill i get better gear for something serious.
    I really like to play with Comet Storm.

Most people are able to keep IV up for a good 44-48 seconds right now, that's why its far better than the other 2 talents.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyky View Post
    Most people are able to keep IV up for a good 44-48 seconds right now, that's why its far better than the other 2 talents.
    ??? How is this even possible? I've never tried this build, so i guess you get FoF like every seconds or what is the secret? Make in mind that my mage is freshly dinged 110 so my gear sucks. So i'm not sure if i can work on IV at the moment with 11% Haste Also does it work in pvp aswell?
    But i still want to hear about the stats for Comet Storm.

As a rule of thumb: If you play a frost mage centered around Icelance/Shatter, try to get enough crit for the soft cap. At the moment thats 33.33% [shatter tooltip: (crit*1.5)+50%].

I used Thermal Void before 7.1.5 because it was easy to get 60%+ of uptime most of the time. However with the changes to talents and Ebonbolt, I'm thinking about changing, but I too like to know how Cometstorm performs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu View Post
    ??? How is this even possible? I've never tried this build, so i guess you get FoF like every seconds or what is the secret? Make in mind that my mage is freshly dinged 110 so my gear sucks. So i'm not sure if i can work on IV at the moment with 11% Haste Also does it work in pvp aswell?
    For the most part, successfully playing TV requires you to take advantage of every way you can shatter Ice Lance, FoF procs being the main method. Frostbolt has a small chance to generate procs, but you can't rely on that alone.
    Shatter is huge for TV. Make sure you look at the passive, and do some reading on how to take advantage of Shatter.
    Frozen Orb is a great way to generate procs, even on single target. For AoE, Blizzard lowers the cooldown of Frozen Orb allowing you to get even more procs.
    Water Jet and Freeze are pet abilities that let you generate FoF procs, but they can be a little tricky to use. Take a look at Kuni's guide (stickied) for more info on those.
    When you use a Brain Freeze proc on Flurry, you can also shatter a non-FoF Ice Lance if you cast it immediately after. Again, check the guide for info on that.
    Also, any time an add is frozen, you can shatter an Ice Lance to extend your IV. It doesn't work well in raids, but is good to know while solo and in PvP.

Unfortunately, because TV hugely benefits from constant uptime, missing out on FoF procs will cause your IV to fall off much sooner. I don't PvP so I can't speak for that environment, but it seems like TV would be a poor choice in PvP. I think Comet Storm will be ok for you in that regard, but hopefully someone else with more experience will chime in about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sifu View Post
    The guy who quoted gave a very good detailed explanation, it just turns out that they designed frost very heavily around Ice Lance for this patch(which plays into making TV that much better) when they made Glacial Spike worse.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ambereldus View Post
    For the most part, successfully playing TV requires you to take advantage of every way you can shatter Ice Lance, FoF procs being the main method. Frostbolt has a small chance to generate procs, but you can't rely on that alone.
    Shatter is huge for TV. Make sure you look at the passive, and do some reading on how to take advantage of Shatter.
    Frozen Orb is a great way to generate procs, even on single target. For AoE, Blizzard lowers the cooldown of Frozen Orb allowing you to get even more procs.
    Water Jet and Freeze are pet abilities that let you generate FoF procs, but they can be a little tricky to use. Take a look at Kuni's guide (stickied) for more info on those.
    When you use a Brain Freeze proc on Flurry, you can also shatter a non-FoF Ice Lance if you cast it immediately after. Again, check the guide for info on that.
    Also, any time an add is frozen, you can shatter an Ice Lance to extend your IV. It doesn't work well in raids, but is good to know while solo and in PvP.

Unfortunately, because TV hugely benefits from constant uptime, missing out on FoF procs will cause your IV to fall off much sooner. I don't PvP so I can't speak for that environment, but it seems like TV would be a poor choice in PvP. I think Comet Storm will be ok for you in that regard, but hopefully someone else with more experience will chime in about it.
    Thank you very much

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you are a fresh 110 and looking at dungeons then Comet Storm might not be much worse for you, it actually might even be better.

Check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNJQfKNSvoQ for how to use it in dungeons.

- - - Updated - - -

For those interested, from altered time, the current top single target build for frost, if you change no other talents except TV to Comet storm, its sims about 35K dps lower. The top Comet storm build single target sims about 20K dps lower (ROF, ROP, IN, FB, CMS).

So as always, you gear will effect this.

I use comet storm in dungeons because I like the animation. It's about the only thing I don't min max, because damn I love watching that. Anyways it is really good AOE in the dungeons which frost isn't so hot at.

Deleted
    TV is the only way to play frost right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Shuffled View Post
    I use comet storm in dungeons because I like the animation. It's about the only thing I don't min max, because damn I love watching that. Anyways it is really good AOE in the dungeons which frost isn't so hot at.
    Frost AOE is actually pretty decent now when taking splitting ice and arctic gale with the effects of blizzard reducing the cooldown on our orb.

If you are in heroics or very low lvl mythics where things are just blowing up really quickly I could see comet storm being worth it though to compete on AOE. In higher mythic + thermal void is good to take because you can carry it for a really long time by blizzard refreshing orb so quickly to generate more finger of frost procs and gives us great single target damage for bosses.

I agree the animation is fantastic though