Deleted

Frost or arcane? Max lvl content mythic+ & lfr

Hello guys! I'm currently struggling regarding what spec to pick and stick with - especially now since people are using frost for high level mythic +. But I'm guessing that requires really high level gear to accomplish this - where as arcane can pump.out high aoe dmg with not much gear. Is this correctly understood?

Also, for a semi casual player, that does mythic+ and easy mode lfr - what would you recommend? Does frost require like 900+ ilvl before it works or? Is frost rotation more interesting ? And what do you guys find the most enjoyable spec?

Any help.and experience would be insanely helpful. I don't like fire, the spec is painfully boring for me.

Frost is overall more stronger except on AoE where you might as well just tab out and use Facebook. Pretty sure even feral has better aoe. Arcane is kinda weak without the correct legendaries.

If you're being casual it's probably not gonna matter what you play.

I would suggest Arcane. It's tied with, or better than, fire for mythic +. It doesn't beat frost for ST damage in raid, but it's better than fire for ST. I also like that its AOE rotation can be done 100% on the move. You have to be closer to the action, but it's not that bad once you're used to it.

Deleted
    I saw +20 mythics where a frostmage was being used (dont have the logs for those runs im afraid). But im curious since frost can obviously be used for high mythic+, the question is since the AOE isnt superb, can you get away with beeing frost in high mythic+ if you gear is high enough? And is it _only_ recommended to be frost in mythics when your gear is great, because of the otherwise complete lack luster aoe dmg?

I dont wanna gimp myself with picking a spec where I won't get invited to mythics unless i get like 920 ilvl gear.

Quote Originally Posted by sinddk View Post
    I saw +20 mythics where a frostmage was being used (dont have the logs for those runs im afraid). But im curious since frost can obviously be used for high mythic+, the question is since the AOE isnt superb, can you get away with beeing frost in high mythic+ if you gear is high enough? And is it _only_ recommended to be frost in mythics when your gear is great, because of the otherwise complete lack luster aoe dmg?

I dont wanna gimp myself with picking a spec where I won't get invited to mythics unless i get like 920 ilvl gear.
    Frost works in high M+, because their cleave is good and their single target with the right legendaries, is probably the highest of all ranged currently. But we are talking about 17+ or so, cause even in 14-16 you can still do large pulls and Fire just pulls ahead in those.

Frost doesn't really have any gear requirement, just you need quite decent gear to be invited to any M+ group nowdays, regardless of your spec. And nope gear doesn't make Frost AoE any better. It does scale better than Fire or Arcane from gear though.

Deleted
    Spec for m+ and lfr? For lfr who cares? you can afk and the bosses will go down. For m+ fire is the best by far, if you don't want to go fire, arcane is much better than frost (on m+ aoe is always the most important factor). If you are going to do only m+20 then frost could be decent, <+15: Fire > arcane >>>> frost

Deleted
    All mage specs are viable for all content. Sure in some cases this spec is 10%~ better in this situation or that other situation but overall if you have not killed mythic guldan yet it makes no difference to you and you should choose entirely on what spec you find the most fun to play. Unless you have BiS legendaries for a spec then you should stick to it. All mage specs are viable if you have the right legendaries, secondary stats, weapon level, and relics.

It is also outdated that frost is bad in m+. The vast majority of lv10+ dungeon pulls are only 3-4 mobs and frost can do very very well there with consistant high cleave damage. Sure in mythic 5 I would rather have a fire or arcane mage than a frost mage but really who cares in mythic 5 and LFR?

There are many many MANY topics on this same subject.

On this note, i would like to remind everyone that, before opening a new topic, a good old "search" doesn't do harm . More often than not you will find that your subject is already under discussion and you can simply add to it, instead of opening a new discussion altogether.

That said, no mage spec is particularly shining at the moment. Moreover, the general consensus seems to be that in order to perform adequately in comparison to other classes all 3 specs depend heavily on their BiS legendaries.

Which, again, leads to the best and simplest advice i can give: try out all the specs, choose the one you like the most and STICK TO IT NO MATTER WHAT. You will be rewarded in time.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The Archmage View Post
    There are many many MANY topics on this same subject.

On this note, i would like to remind everyone that, before opening a new topic, a good old "search" doesn't do harm . More often than not you will find that your subject is already under discussion and you can simply add to it, instead of opening a new discussion altogether.

That said, no mage spec is particularly shining at the moment. Moreover, the general consensus seems to be that in order to perform adequately in comparison to other classes all 3 specs depend heavily on their BiS legendaries.

Which, again, leads to the best and simplest advice i can give: try out all the specs, choose the one you like the most and STICK TO IT NO MATTER WHAT. You will be rewarded in time.
    Problem with older topics is that things chance quite fast in wow. A month ago you had _Alot_ more peopel saying "frost sucks", but as time passes and frost parses start to show up, people change their mindset and try it out for themselves. Also it takes time before people learn how effective a spec can be etc.

but thanks for the advice otherwise

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by pkm View Post
    Frost is overall more stronger except on AoE where you might as well just tab out and use Facebook. Pretty sure even feral has better aoe. Arcane is kinda weak without the correct legendaries.

If you're being casual it's probably not gonna matter what you play.
    Arcane is not depended on legendaries. There is almost no difference between bis dps na utility legendaries.

Arc and Fire are better than frost on M+ especially on lower ranks where u want to pull as many mobs as possible.

Deleted
    Thanks for all the inputs!

Out of curiousity, what do you find most fun to play?