Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ave07 View Post
    Maybe they have it in the works as leveling from 1 to 110 for a new player is a bit ridiculous unless you use boosts.
    Possibly. They took that small group of people IIRC idea and made it theirs so could see an update on the 1-110 questing experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Kolvarg View Post
    I could say the same pretty much about every add-on ever, especially the ones like Deadly Boss Mods or Auctioneer and the likes.
    Warcraft Tales modifies game files so it is nothing like an addon.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    Yup, blizzard are twats. Nothing new there. Bethesda's games thrive on mods. I get that physically changing the world in an MMO is a nono, but adding voice acting to the game? What the fuck is wrong with that?

(And yes, it is just the voice acting since the UI is available)
    This isn't a mod it directly modifies game files which is NOT allowed.

Blizzard are afraid to have people doing content for free better than they are for monthly fees and sub costs. Then everyone will realize how little effort they put into improving this game, and how much they just do more of the same with different labels.

Deleted
    I thought this was an exciting project, my reaction to hearing that it was cancelled; frustration, not with Blizzard but with Bellular and his compatriots.

They have spent a whole load of time, money and effort building this thing and they just assumed that Blizzard wouldn't mind them making significant changes to their game. That should of been the absolute first thing they did, no exceptions so really they have no one to blame but themselves.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelly View Post
    No, he didn't want to charge for it. .
    He wanted patreon support. its wasn't mandatory, but he encouraged it. Thats monetizing and not allowed (Tbh I'm suprised warcraftlogs gets away with it, although i'm a patreon supporter of wclogs myself).

Quote Originally Posted by Polygnome View Post
    He wanted patreon support. its wasn't mandatory, but he encouraged it. Thats monetizing and not allowed (Tbh I'm suprised warcraftlogs gets away with it, although i'm a patreon supporter of wclogs myself).
    That's a mighty fine hair to split given that whether you support it or not the addon was going to be free for everyone, also multiple addon creators have patreons.

Also where do you draw the line?

The game critic blogger with a patreon?

At the streamer with a patreon?

The youtuber?

The addon creator?

That's a mighty fine hair to split given that whether you support it or not the addon was going to be free for everyone, also multiple addon creators have patreons.

The youtuber?

The addon creator?
    Create a product worth supporting first. Don't put the the carriage before the horse. This guy was asking for Patreon support before even making anything.

lulz. whoever thought activi$$ion bli$$ard would let that happen, is soo... cute.

Deleted

The youtuber?

The addon creator?
    Yes, its a very difficult question, and I don't think I have a good answer to it that catches all cases. Its a fine line to walk both as addon developer and as the company selling the game.

I see only one qualitative difference: None of these people use Blizzards content without permission. The strings contained in the combat log arethere for people to use. Streaming is expicitly allowed. Writing about WoW is allowed.

But Warcraft Tales took the quest texts - Blizzards property - and used them without permission. Thats the big difference. IANAL, so I can't say what exactly the problems are. But I can very very well imagine that creates a lot of headaches for Blizzard.

I would love it if they managed to take his ideas, bring him on board and start redoing the old world. Blizzards storytelling sucks. Reading quests texts in a window is boring. Warcraft tales looked like it would make quests interestng and immersive. We need more of that.

Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Warcraft Tales modifies game files so it is nothing like an addon.
    What files did it modify?

From what I've seen announced, there was nothing planned for the addon that other addons don't do already. UI interface changes and/or additions are done by many addons. So is playing (and adding) extra sound files (DBM does sounds, and there's even music players). So what exactly did it modify that other addons do not?

Quote Originally Posted by Vorti View Post
    Bellular himself, the Creator of the project :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tm7h49s3NDI

i'm kind of sad, i was really hyped by this project...
    oh well i guess his almost desperate " notice me sempai blizz and hire/sponsor me" attempts failed spectacuraly .

guess he will stick to his lore videos

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    I thought this would be a gray area where Blizzard would've given him the benefit of the doubt - guess not. I really don't see why this would be a big deal. It's not like this addon would affect the base game experience. And if you choose to use it, you know you are getting a 3rd party addon - nothing would be canon - it's simply just additional content for their playerbase.

Kinda shit they shut this down on him, I would've checked it out.
    because copywrite laws welcome to the real non-pixelised world

blizzard as company has no other choice but to defend their IP .
    Last edited by kamuimac; 2017-04-07 at 10:47 AM.

While Bellular deserves a lot of praise for his passion, he should have known better.

You can not take someone else's engine / models / ideas / delivery mechanism / supporting infrastructure, etc, and *replace* one of the key parts with your own. Because who knows what you are going to do with it. It is just unsafe for the business whose assets you are building on.

Customizing UI is fine. Displaying alerts, tracking DPS, helping post a lot of auctions is fine. Customizing the delivery of quest text is also fine. Because it is clear for the player where WoW is and where your enhancements are, and because your enhancements are clearly optional.

Adding voiceovers for quest text without altering the text is already starting to cross the line. Because that has a big effect on how the game is perceived and it is just risky to give that much control to a third-party, that third-party can ruin the experience for a lot of people. Redoing zones would also be crossing the line. Redoing quest text (what???! omg) is *absolutely* crossing the line. You shouldn't do that.

Well, now Bellular knows.

Blizzard are completely right here, things like that should be stopped dead as early as possible. Because they will have to be stopped one way or the other, so best to stop them right away to minimize the number of people inconvenienced by that. Blizzard had no choice. This could never have succeeded. The desire to make a surprise backfired.
    Last edited by rda; 2017-04-07 at 11:05 AM.