Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ...
    I don't play nearly as much as I used to, but I do feel like Legion is as good as WoW has ever been. It may not stand head and shoulders above any other one expansion, but I feel like all the parts really came together this time. Lore is of course a subjective thing, but they took some big risks and really pushed the story forward this time, and I love it. I also love the Demon Hunter class from both a lore perspective and a gameplay mechanics perspective. Overall, I guess it didn't make the game feel like a whole new experience or anything, but it has been a very solid expansion.

Bloodsail Admiral dicertification's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly it was right at the top until 7.2 hit. Just unsubbed for the first time in 13 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Hctaz View Post
    They've been doing this gating thing this way. It's fine. They're doing a different kind of gating. Before, they would gate things behind rep or something but give you an infinite source to farm it. So instead of requiring players to farm out 24 hours of mob farming they're just making you wait a week between parts without requiring any sorta of crazy rep farm.
    The infinite source way was a lot better imo. Why? Because it gave something to do while also giving an incentive. A sense of progression. Sure you can farm nethershards, but what's the progression?

Quote Originally Posted by micwini View Post
    This patch puts Legion below MoP for me because it doesn't even come close to 5.2. I rated it the best expansion for a while, but since this patch is so small and it took sooo long for it to get out ranks it below MoP for me.
    Just based on stuff to do and content release schedule.

I base my opinion on a few things:
    - Lore, really important to me, which is why I hated WoD. It didnt connect with me.
    - Innovation, World quests was a good system to introduce and kept me entertained. Only for a while however since it has serious flaws.
    - Constantly having stuff to do. This is where legion failed when compared to MoP. MoP had a lot to do at the start and kept adding enough every patch to keep me entertained. 7.2 did not only underdeliver, but it came way too late. Also: a lot of gating.

While it is true that legion has had more and better 5man content, I have to say this: It was at release. Im done with that now. Need new stuff to do. This is probably the reason they stopped doing so much dungeon content. It would be played at launch for a few months, and then never again.
    5.2 added an innovative zone, 7.2 added a "we've already seen this" type of zone.

im finished
    Not the whole patch is out yet, lol...

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Legion killed it self for me, because of all the RNG grinding crap.

I love grinding in mmo's, but there has to be a goal in the end, and there is non in WOW right now. In GW2 i know that i will get rewarded for my grind in the end as i will get ascended armor that i can use. In WOW i have no idea if i will be able to use the gear because of the RNG stats and the same goes for Legendary gear. You have no idea if you get any or if you get a piece that you can use.

And Broken shore has got to be the MOST boring questing zone to date in WOW

For me
    1. MOP
    2. LK
    3. TBC
    4. Legion
    5. CATA
    6. WOD
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

Quote Originally Posted by whitehead View Post
    Not the whole patch is out yet, lol...
    Thats the problem. Even then, there's not much more that comes out that isn't there now. Just the invasion system we've already seen and some story quests. Raid is next patch.

10+ Year Old Account
    MoP Is still on the top of my list :>

The infinite source way was a lot better imo. Why? Because it gave something to do while also giving an incentive. A sense of progression. Sure you can farm nethershards, but what's the progression?
    It's not all that better. If they put any rewards worth getting for player progression gated behind these events then more mythic raiders would burn themselves out farming the entire 11 week campaign before raid started. So if they did put anything cool behind reputation gating then you'd have mythic raiders grinding rep forever. And if they don't then.. why bother?

Like do you think people would really be all that interested in the Broken Shore if it offered literally nothing for them at all? If it was relegated solely for vanity items I mean... people wouldn't bother. The buildings offer some form of interesting progression but obviously that isn't good enough for you. It's just gated behind dailies like other shit was but you can at least sorta farm additional resources more so than the daily cap limit would otherwise allow.

Quote Originally Posted by Hctaz View Post
    It's not all that better. If they put any rewards worth getting for player progression gated behind these events then more mythic raiders would burn themselves out farming the entire 11 week campaign before raid started. So if they did put anything cool behind reputation gating then you'd have mythic raiders grinding rep forever. And if they don't then.. why bother?

Like do you think people would really be all that interested in the Broken Shore if it offered literally nothing for them at all? If it was relegated solely for vanity items I mean... people wouldn't bother. The buildings offer some form of interesting progression but obviously that isn't good enough for you. It's just gated behind dailies like other shit was but you can at least sorta farm additional resources more so than the daily cap limit would otherwise allow.
    So 99% of the player base has to suffer for that 1% that does mythic raiding?

that title is so funny "Does Legion Top the List of Best Expansions? "

I mean, how many "best expansions" are there exactly?

No, Legion is a decent try, ahead of WoD obviously. But not more than that. It has quite some sparkly moments, but I don't feel that it is enough to get the top spot on the list.

Deleted
    had fun the first 2-3 months, then it became the least fun expansion out of them all.

So 99% of the player base has to suffer for that 1% that does mythic raiding?
    No, because other people will do the same thing and then, unlike mythic raiders, complain about the fact that there is nothing left to do in the patch and unsub. It doesn't even matter. Either way people are going to unsub for the exact same reason. They're going to unsub until the 11 week campaign is out and then finish the whole thing in a disgusting 15 hour WoW grind with nothing but rep farming and the weekly quests and then complain that it took to long to come out and then complain that there's nothing left to do in the game or they'll just do the second half of the thing in the first day of the patch and continue to unsub whilst complaining there's nothing to do even though they got 15 hours of exclusive solo content.

The problem isn't the people who raid because at least the people who raid don't bitch at the lack of content after the first week.

Plus they've already fucked us enough this expansion with the legendary, AP, and -forge systems. I'm glad they aren't fucking us with the new world content too.

Red face close, but no cigar

Hi. This is my first post. I've been playing wow off and on since vanilla and I've read mmo champion forums frequently without posting.

For me, Legion is a valiant effort. It comes off of a lackluster expansion and builds upon the world that players care most about; Azeroth. That being said, I think Legion is screwing itself by taking the story to Argus. Content is great, story is good, and gameplay is also not bad at all. Artifact system is actually innovative and the class halls are actually long overdue imo.

If I were to rank Legion, I wouldn't call it the best expansion. That award goes to Wrath of the Lich King. Why? Because Wrath did a much better job of incorporating Northrend into the world of Azeroth than any other expansion. The story tied itself to those of Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms, the villains and heroes of EK and Kalimdor were intertwined with those of the expansion, the transportation routes (Ferry and Zeppelin routes) were extended from capital cities to the expansion, and there seemed to be an overall concerted effort by the devs to incorporate Northrend into the world. This effort was attempted again in Cataclysm, but did not succeed at the same level and efforts to do so seem to have been avoided in every subsequent expansion.

Expansions subsequent to Cataclysm have been entirely insular. Mists was a good expansion, but it began a trend where all expansions are essentially standalone games. Why isn't there a ferry or Zeppelin to Pandaria? What we see here is a pattern of laziness on part of Blizzard where the planet is just littered with boring portals that instantly take you to wherever. How much effort would it take to put a ferry from either Stormwind or Orgrimmar to Pandaria? Same with Legion; portal fanatics have taken over the world. What's the point of mages being able to open portals if you have access to portals around every corner? Much like Pandaria, Legion does not seem to be a part of Azeroth. It seems as much a part of Azeroth as AU Draenor.

Transportation and lore are just some examples, but I don't want to submit a dissertation on this subject. The point is that expansions have become standalone games built alongside what are basically two empty continents upon which this story is based. Here's my ranking:

1. Wrath of the Lich King
    2. Burning Crusade
    3. Mists of Pandaria
    4. Cataclysm / Legion (tie)
    6. Hearthstone
    7. Warlords of Draenor

The first 6 or so months of Legion have been better than any other expansion for sure.
    But its impossible to say anything until the entire cycle is over and we have 8.0.

As of now, Mists is the best expansion de facto. Legion is well on its way to taking it over though, and even if it ended today, side by side I think it already would.
    But unfortunately, there are things that DETRACT from expansions too, so we have to make sure they don't drop the ball with Argus.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Blind fanboyism is just as nauseous as fanatically haters...

Legion is good, it isn't great. It came with awesome features and development choices but also some awful ones that are unforgivable. I think Legion is probably the most divisive expansion to date
    Pretty Much this!
    The worst part is the Huuge rng factor added all over the game the most important one is the shit legenday system.all of this mess has to do with their mistake to bring over ppl from the Fail Diablo 3 team to work for wow dev team!

10+ Year Old Account
    Too often people connect the term of "Best Expansion" with "Best Expansion Raid Tiers and Dungeons." As far as pound-for-pound content, yes, Legion is the best expansion across the board... so far. As far as best raid tiers and dungeons, right now it's middle of the pack. It's a bit frustrating, because at the same time Legion does very well, some other things are done incredibly wrong (see; worst WPvP in WoW history, too many RNG mechanics, useless professions yet again).

Best Expansions
    Legion>Cataclysm(really)>TBC>Vanilla>WotLK(really)>MoP(really)>...>WoD(to emphasize how bad it was)

Wait, WotLK was great! No. Certain story lines and raids were great. Dungeons were lame AoE-fests. Welfare epics became a way of life. Overemphasis on vehicle mechanics and systems. Naxxramas 2.0 was great for people who had never seen it, but for people like me it was terrible rerunning a raid I had already done with minor tweaks. Ulduar was great. ToC was fun fights, but unimaginative layout. ICC lasted way too long. Ruby Sanctum was pointless. It introduced the cancerous LFG system into WoW that forever broke the community.

Thats a sampling of my opinions, if you want more, i'd refer you to my youtube video...