10+ Year Old Account

What's the point of seperating PvP changes from PvE if it doesn't work both ways?

For example

Say one class is doing really poorly in PvE but is doing great in PvP. New patch comes out. That class is getting a buff to its damage to make it stronger in PvE. There is no system in place to prevent that change from affecting its PvP performance, so now that class is godlike in PvP. The PvP balance squad now has to desperately try to make that class weaker and pray that the PvE team doesn't feel like buffing it any more.

There have been many real occasions where this happened.

Where is the synergy within Blizzard? Where's the communication between teams? It's as if the PvE and PvP teams are on separate sides of the country and are communicating with carrier pigeons.
    Last edited by docterfreeze; 2017-04-14 at 10:04 PM.

It's hard to make PVP specific changes. It really is a fact of WoW that some classes will be better in pvp and worse based on what blizzard changes in their talent trees/skills/pvp talents per xpac/patch. No way around it, you can make changes to specifically bgs/arenas but that puts a whole new set of numbers to keep up with and the players have to keep up with two sets of changes/talents/rotations based on what changes. And it's not unreasonable to assume some classes will be better/worse at some things.

But that's just my two cents.
    Last edited by Mythbredor; 2017-04-14 at 10:42 PM.

I'd argue the problem is content design and how raid bosses are just too specific a target to design a sandbox / diablo-like / pvp game around. Like how there's a lot of great leveling / world questing talents that just suck at pvp or raiding, and vice versa. And the fact that healers / tanks make it so hp / mana isn't a limiting power-factor to classes like it used to be. Eg. a warrior in vanilla could kill someone in a stun, but if he had no heals he just got kited and died horribly. That doesn't happen in raiding, and ever since blizzard's focus was on little other than raiding for a long time now ... well.

I'd personally say that it's time for raiding as an idea to evolve or retire, to make way for a better class / content design across other ends of the game. But that's just my wishful thinking.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    They usually just reduce some % of the template's main stat to keep it in check. At least that's what they did after the pve tuning when emerald nightmare opened.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by docterfreeze View Post
    There is no system in place to prevent that change from affecting its PvP performance
    Yes there is, and has been since Legion. Have you not seen the patch notes where a dedicated section specifically refers to PvP changes, be it template changes OR direct ability changes ONLY in PvP? Blizzard's PvP team are just awful at their jobs, that's all. Even with the tools in place they're still incompetent.

I believe it should be easier to manage by decreasing dmg in pvp via resilience, as it was in the past, given it can be achieved in both instanced and wpvp with the same tool. And instead of pruning what was thought by devs as useless, leave the players a wider choice of baseline and use talents to create different interactions between the baseline abilities. You can experiment and find something that suits you instead of taking what devs think that suits all.

The game looks now like it is intended for kids, who can search few lines on talents (or look for top players trees) and 4 button rotation and then run into random bgs.

It looks like Blizz pvp devs didn't look beyond their shadow on template implementation consequences. They've seen it as a better tool to manage instanced pvp, but nobody thought at what players feel nor what will happen in wpvp.
    In companies which actually care about customers experience, things should happen the other way around, making focus groups with customers, ask forums (as it used to be) and then start to implement something that makes largely your customers base happy.

Deleted
    Is inevitable, blizzard could add a double pve / pvp effects..
    But I think it's a bad idea.
    Last edited by mmocc1c1352d4e; 2017-04-23 at 05:17 PM.

Honestly, blizzard should just split off the game.

GW1, that I recall, had separate characters for PVP and PVE. WPvP is dead in the sense that it doesn't have any kind of balance.

Blizzard should just split it in two. Those who wish to do one or the other can. Mounts/PVP rewards can be seen in PVE realms but provide no benefit beyond cosmetic.

This opinion will probably be unpopular.
    Last edited by SoulForge; 2017-04-23 at 05:27 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by docterfreeze View Post
    For example

Say one class is doing really poorly in PvE but is doing great in PvP. New patch comes out. That class is getting a buff to its damage to make it stronger in PvE. There is no system in place to prevent that change from affecting its PvP performance, so now that class is godlike in PvP. The PvP balance squad now has to desperately try to make that class weaker and pray that the PvE team doesn't feel like buffing it any more.

There have been many real occasions where this happened.

Where is the synergy within Blizzard? Where's the communication between teams? It's as if the PvE and PvP teams are on separate sides of the country and are communicating with carrier pigeons.
    Pretty sure that's the idea behind the PvP templates. When that PvE buff comes they tune the numbers within the PvP template.
    "I don't contemplate, I meditate, then off your fucking head" -Kendrick Lamar
    "If you have no sauce, then you're lost. But, you can also get lost in the sauce."-Gucci Mane
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"-Colonel Sanders