MM - H Nighthold boss mini guide

Trying to optimise and squeeze more deeps out of heroic NH? I'm going to share what has gotten me mostly orange parses.
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/ranking...1434739/latest

Nothing super secret here, I have included cool down management for each fight which is probably the most important factor that will influence whether you get a decent parse or an excellent parse.
    I've also added a dps goal for each boss which will get you a decent parse at around 900 ilvl. At 880 ilvl you should expect the goal to be roughly half.

I use 2 main builds:

Single target build (Trickshot)
    4p - boots, gloves - cof, bti
    True Aim, Patient Sniper, Trick shot, Crows

AOE build (Meme)
    2p* - boots, zevrims/prydaz/helm/roots - cof/burning fury or kjs
    LNL, Explosive, Volley, piercing
    *Wear 2p only if you have better non-tier gear

Skorp
    This fight is just a pad-fest now so do whatever
    Goal: N/A

Chrono
    AOE build
    Burst on adds (save trueshot for when the big add is about 20% health, save explosive shot and piercing shot for when the 4 little adds spawn - but you gotta unload quick) this will make your dps spike really high then you gotta hold on rest of the fight.
    Goal: 900k dps

Trill
    ST build - trueshot on cooldown
    If you can, pop your second trueshot before the first laser, and try really hard to keep your rotation up during laser.
    Goal: 800k dps

Spell Blade
    AOE build
    Trueshot on pull and on each add wave. Use PS and ES inside trueshot as they will crit for more damage.
    Goal: 1m dps

Tichondrius
    AOE build
    Alternate cooldowns for each add wave...trueshot first wave, es/ps/kjs next wave.
    Trueshot on the bats! you will do a ton of damage plus you will get orbs for all your raid

Krosus
    ST build - trueshot on cooldown
    Move during arcane shot or marked shot or glove proc. After beam fires, go to the side it just fired so that you can tunnel til the next beam. Note: If you soak the very back pools you will go out of range in p1 - so if you can, soak the furthest pools that dont put you out of range.

Star Augur
    ST build (could use volley instead of crows if you wanted to pad on phase 3) - trueshot on cooldown
    Hang close to the edges of the room during p2 but dont drop fel on the very edges because you want to keep it clean for disengage on fel nova. fight the boss with your back to the big add in p3

Bot
    AOE build
    Pop trueshot on pull, save second piercing and explosive for the first add wave, trueshot for the wave after. Next trueshot the boss should have 2 mobs up by then, use trueshot on cd You will get most of your dps in phase 3 spamming multi/marked, use your 2nd pot when they hero. In early phases get your dps up by bursting down lashers

Elisande
    AOE build
    save trueshot for the first add stack each wave and make a decision whether to use trueshot again during a phase based on how fast she is dying - but you always want trueshot up for the start of each phase as this is a "burst then hold on" fight.

Guldan
    AOE build
    dont trueshot on pull, save for when the 3 adds are stacked then dump everything. Save the boss ability til guldan does the laser when the 3 adds are stacked. Save trueshot and boss ability for eyes in p2. Save trueshot for empowered eyes in p3 - try cleave if possible
    Goal: 700k dps

General cooldown management
    AOE fights: save cooldowns for add waves - this is the single reason MM appears on any dps charts
    ST fights: use on cooldown except at the end where you might want to hold off til bullseye stacks are up. Always try overlap your cooldowns with procs and other buffs (pots, hero etc..)

Need more deeps?
    If you feel you have topped out dps and are not improving, these small tips may help you get off that plateau.
    -the detonate part of explosive shot does not affect the GCD so you dont need to hold off on firing another shot while explosive shot is in the air
    -When firing piercing shot into a pack, target a mob at the back of the pack so everyone gets a piece.
    -Just before you burst down a pack with trueshot, fire windburst on a back target so the dot is ticking on the pack while you burst it however do not use this during trueshot as you put out more damage spamming multi/marked
    -Advanced: Instead of popping trueshot on CD, give yourself a window to wait for procs (bti, foci etc...) be careful not to wait too long so that you lose a trickshot during the fight.
    -Think ahead - anticipate which mechanics are going to happen next, position yourself accordingly.
    -Dont tunnel - You will pull more dps while you are alive and your raid will like you more

Hope this helps you out!
    Last edited by Absoul; 2017-04-26 at 06:04 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Thanks, for a new hunter like me this comes in handy :-)

Good job op, as someone who's thinking of rolling back to Mm the minite they get the edge over bm, i appreciate your brevity.

If you can, please go ahead and write down a similar guide for M NH, as I might go MM on some fights regardless.

Indeed, thanks!

Just hit my 110 with my hunter alt (soon to be main I think) so this miniguide will be handy in the next few weeks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithrilina
    Do we girls get an E.B.O.O.B.S. (Equipment-Based OverpOwered Best-in-Slot) number?

Thanks for this info!

Is there an easy/efficient way of targeting mobs all the way in the back for Windburst and PS? A lot of times it seems I am trying to click a minion in the back and it just keeps targeting the minion in the front. Is it more of a get the right camera angle and don't mess up kind of thing?

Quote Originally Posted by ozusteapot View Post
    Good job op, as someone who's thinking of rolling back to Mm the minite they get the edge over bm, i appreciate your brevity.

If you can, please go ahead and write down a similar guide for M NH, as I might go MM on some fights regardless.
    I'll do chrono since thats the only fight I got orange parse in Mythic

M Chrono
    AOE Build
    Dont trueshot on pull save for first add at about 0:30, pop when big add is almost dead. Burst on little adds.
    If you go boss side, there is one extra target so you will generally do more deeps that side. Everyone is trying to get there extra pad from the adds so you gotta burst quick.
    Save 2nd trueshot for when the tanks break the first time thing, it will be in slow but it is an extra 30% damage on the boss.
    3rd trueshot will be up before you need it, hold it for the 2nd adds.
    4th trueshot pop on cooldown or hold off if boss almost dead and wait for bullseye stacks to get up...boss should be dead

Quote Originally Posted by MattMode View Post
    Is there an easy/efficient way of targeting mobs all the way in the back for Windburst and PS? A lot of times it seems I am trying to click a minion in the back and it just keeps targeting the minion in the front. Is it more of a get the right camera angle and don't mess up kind of thing?
    I generally have an idea how many mobs there are and tab half that number of times, it is hit and miss through and I dont want to be wasting too much time targeting because Im loosing deeps. On fights like skorp where there are hundreds of adds it can be really hard to select the back one, but what you can generally do is select a target as your anchor, boss or mob with most health , then rotate around them or disengage through them until they are at the back of the pack, sometimes you can anticipate where you need to be to make this easier.
    I found click targeting to be the worst way

All good stuff, very handy for those who are trying to maximize output. I di have one problem though, why do you recommend popping trueshot during trilliax laser?

I also agree with using meme for all fights except krosus trilliax and auger.
    same for mythic
    Last edited by HappyLuckBox; 2017-04-27 at 12:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyLuckBox View Post
    why do you recommend popping trueshot during trilliax laser?
    With cof, boots and 4 points in quickshots, trueshot is usually back up about 5-15 secs before laser. If you know you can get at least a full vuln window in before laser starts and you can position yourself well for the 2nd vuln window during laser, then popping trueshot on cd may net you an extra trueshot later on.

Also, if you ate your cake early you may not have the movement speed debuff which makes holding your rotation a bit easier during laser...imo, how well you do your rotation during laser makes all the difference for this fight because you can imagine most trickshot hunters will do shit during laser which is lots of lost dps

Quote Originally Posted by Absoul View Post
    I generally have an idea how many mobs there are and tab half that number of times, it is hit and miss through and I dont want to be wasting too much time targeting because Im loosing deeps. On fights like skorp where there are hundreds of adds it can be really hard to select the back one, but what you can generally do is select a target as your anchor, boss or mob with most health , then rotate around them or disengage through them until they are at the back of the pack, sometimes you can anticipate where you need to be to make this easier.
    I found click targeting to be the worst way
    Yeah I have noticed click targeting to be pretty painful as well and it's funny because when there are lets say 4-6 mobs its not too bad you can usually tab target or click target towards the back but on Skorp sometimes it's just chaotic haha.

I am melee based player since back in Vanilla and just switched to Ranged DPS for the first time with the new patch so definitely working out some kinks.

Single target build (Trickshot)
    bti
    Why BTI instead of Entwined Elemental Foci or Arcanocrystal?

Quote Originally Posted by Shurkien View Post
    Why BTI instead of Entwined Elemental Foci or Arcanocrystal?
    Foci is good but bti is still better and not everyone owns an arcano "devourer of bonus seals" (FML!) but If I got to pick I would roll COF and Arcano for ST
    and COF + Fury/Arcano for multi

Trinket sims are here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=340651414

Foci is good but bti is still better and not everyone owns an arcano "devourer of bonus seals" (FML!) but If I got to pick I would roll COF and Arcano for ST
    and COF + Fury/Arcano for multi

Trinket sims are here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=340651414
    BTI isn't as good as it sims, foci tends to be better at equal ilvl, and more reasonable to get at a higher ilvl. Unless you're very lucky, or farming mythic en weekly, it's highly unlikely you have a 900+ bti, whereas it's much easier to get ahold of a foci which is just as competitive and can quite easily be better than a BTI with a little bit of luck.

Also, ST build is just as good if not better on Chrono. You do a huge amount of damage, and your damage is significantly more useful to your raid. Most guilds have enough aoe dmg that it's useless to go an entire spec to aoe them down. Considering your 2nd trueshot if you're good with it, can come up before the adds turn into 4.

This guide is very.. Padders guide to padding. And it isn't even right in all the spots.

With belt you can severely outpad meme build on botanist and spellblade (Spellblade assuming your raid team either gets only frost, or frost+fire+arcane adds).
    Last edited by Emerald Archer; 2017-05-02 at 05:45 PM.