Deleted

returning player artifact power

hello all,

I left the game a while back

now i want to come back and i was hoping to find a way to be able to raid in my guilds group. They are mainly social so finish heroic and are happy trying last tiers mythic. I am fairly sure at the moment i could get carried through the normal raid as they help most people with that and then i could probably go into hc as a weaker member (i was not awful)

I am worried about my AP points, i do not like questing so am very low with them. i suppose my question is how would i get AP points quickly at level 100 and also if i ended up with full hc gear (possible) after my carries would i still 'takeable' to the upcoming tier raids in a guild that aims at completing hc, without having much AP.

Do raid bosses have ap drops like the old valor used to so a few weeks of clearing normal would catch me up??

for info my highest toon is 107 currently

I did check for this question but am not the most skilled forum user

thanks

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thepumper View Post
    hello all,

now i want to come back and i was hoping to find a way to be able to raid in my guilds group. They are mainly social so finish heroic and are happy trying last tiers mythic. I am fairly sure at the moment i could get carried through the normal raid as they help most people with that and then i could probably go into hc as a weaker member (i was not awful)

I am worried about my AP points, i do not like questing so am very low with them. i suppose my question is how would i get AP points quickly at level 100 and also if i ended up with full hc gear (possible) after my carries would i still 'takeable' to the upcoming tier raids in a guild that aims at completing hc, without having much AP.

Do raid bosses have ap drops like the old valor used to so a few weeks of clearing normal would catch me up??

thanks
    my question is how would i get AP points quickly at level 100
    You won't. Prior 110 getting lots of AP is impossible because research becomes available only at 110.

few weeks of clearing normal would catch me up??
    Try few MONTHS.

Catch up only works if you already have lv110 with lots of research done, else it's couple months of playing to "catch up" to reasonable levels on AP. Gear is easy, but weapon will lag behind big time. Catch up favors alts, not newcomers.

Once you hit 110 you'll be able to buy artifact research level for 500 ressources per level up to level 25. Before 110 dont worry about AP at all.

Upon reaching 110, your AP-research will finish quicker than it does for players having it rolling already.

You'll be able to catch up just fine, only have to get started. My alts are at Artifact power 33-37, my main is on AK 38. I didn't sent tomes to my alts, and the one at 33 AK got to 110 just a week and a half ago or so and research notes are finishing way faster for her than for my main.

The whole stigma surrounding catch-up is mostly unfounded. It won't take you months to catch up. Will you need some more investment than in previous expansions? Sure, but this is an MMORPG after all so investment being a part of it ain't unexpected.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2017-05-29 at 11:02 PM.

Its quite quick to catch up as the others have said.

While levling make sure you do your order hall quests youll need it later to unlock your third relic slot in the weapon.

Also I dont loot any of the AP chests until after Ak 25. They dont contain a huge amount but they do add up quicky if you have little/no traits in your weapon. You can run around gathering them later while you wait for lfg/lfr to pop or while doing world quests.

Deleted
    Well you should ask which ap lvl they are asking to be a raider. If they say 35 you can catch up in 2 weeks if you go for class hall resources and buy every ak tome up to ak 25.

If they say 52 well, you have a long grind in front of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Knaar View Post
    Once you hit 110 you'll be able to buy artifact research level for 500 ressources per level up to level 25. Before 110 dont worry about AP at all.
    Pretty much this, farm order resources / bloods of sargeras and prio buying off the knowledge ranks before farming AP, otherwise it won't be efficient and you'll waste time farming AP on lower knowledge. Past 25 the research should be shortened like it was pre 7.2 with the lower ranks, if my alt was super behind the scrolls would take 3 days to make instead of normal 5.

World quests aren't the only source of AP, so don't worry. Atm Nighthold on all difficulties drops AP, so you can clear normal / lfr for AP too, daily heroic dungeon gives AP, base mythic dungeons give AP, mythic+ gives AP, most pvp activities give AP (bgs, brawls, skirmishes, some honor ranks etc.)

World quests aren't worth to clear all the map unless you like it, but it's worth doing the 4 for emissary cache and it's worth doing 4 on the broken shore for the supplies turn in - the bags you get give order resources (you will need them for AK and order hall perks upgrades) and have a chance for a legendary, which is always a nice ilvl bump even if you don't get the optimal item.

It certainly wont take as long as it did for someone that started at the start of the expansion. But it isn't going to be a week or two. I would say a month or two to get TRUELY caught up. Close enough to raid.. that is a different story. I would say a month. But I would say most guilds will require at least concord to raid mythic level. Below that honestly as long as you aren't a total slag it doesn't matter a whole lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotto Pantsu View Post
    You won't. Prior 110 getting lots of AP is impossible because research becomes available only at 110.

Try few MONTHS.

Catch up only works if you already have lv110 with lots of research done, else it's couple months of playing to "catch up" to reasonable levels on AP. Gear is easy, but weapon will lag behind big time. Catch up favors alts, not newcomers.
    This is an absurd amount of misinformation here.

Coming up from level 100 to 110 you'll very quickly get your first 13 traits. The first 13 - even if you screw up your order - will have you playable but not super viable.

Once at 110 you'll be able to buy AK tomes up to level 25 for 500 order resources each tome. Once you reach level 25 if you do the quests to open up the broken shore you'll immediately jump to AK 26 - which is huge. At AK 26 if you just complete your emissary quests and do as many LFR wings as are available to you the artifact will fill out all 3 of your golden traits and you'll quickly start in on the 2nd set.

It won't take months for you to catch up to everyone else simply because of the diminishing returns on AP and AK will be capping at 40 sometime next week. You will be able to get concordance within a single month and you're raid viable well before then.

Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    But I would say most guilds will require at least concord to raid mythic level.
    The OP was talking about raiding normal and eventually heroic, if we talk about a casual guild that takes months to get curve they shouldn't really demand hardcore grind from their members, damn my guild is at M Gul'dan progress atm and not all members have concordance yet (just a few rerolls / offspecs but still).

36 points in my opinion should be mandatory because 1) it's fast with the current AK, as soon as you unlock 25 + broken shore (gives free 26) the jump is massive 2) it's free 15% or so damage increase, after that it depends on class how big upgrade it is, around 45 points is enough to snatch all the bets traits, and next power spike is concordance but that shouldn't be required for raiding normal let's get real...

Quote Originally Posted by Marrilaife View Post
    The OP was talking about raiding normal and eventually heroic, if we talk about a casual guild that takes months to get curve they shouldn't really demand hardcore grind from their members, damn my guild is at M Gul'dan progress atm and not all members have concordance yet (just a few rerolls / offspecs but still).

36 points in my opinion should be mandatory because 1) it's fast with the current AK, as soon as you unlock 25 + broken shore (gives free 26) the jump is massive 2) it's free 15% or so damage increase, after that it depends on class how big upgrade it is, around 45 points is enough to snatch all the bets traits, and next power spike is concordance but that shouldn't be required for raiding normal let's get real...
    Holy pick a line and pull it out of context. The rest of my post covers this. Grow the fuck up.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    hello all,

thanks
    Probably about a month to get to Heroic raid level once you hit 110. Less if you really push your way through mythics and such.

People that say it takes anything longer are just lying.

Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    Holy pick a line and pull it out of context. The rest of my post covers this. Grow the fuck up.
    Someone got triggered lol. What happened to the forum rule "quote only the part you refer to, not the whole post"?

I bet some mythic guilds that are like 3-5 mythic now won't require concordance because they barely can find any recruits so they have to take what they can. Yeah, you can require like some guild I saw on trade "x guild 3/10m lf players 905+ ilvl with at least 3/10m progress", but no chance in hell they're getting anybody, why would someone who is already 3m go to that guild when they can probably go to one that is at least 7/10.

So many raiders quit in NH that now it's a buyer's market.

There are hc guilds on my realm that openly advertise they recruit returning players and will help them gear up. It's a good time to return and prep for TOS.

Deleted
    To be honest, I pity the guild that "carries" you to get gear. Chances are, you'll just take another "break" as soon as you've seen most or all of the bosses anyway. Tons of players like you around who make organized raiding a nightmare after the first couple of weeks.

Effects are:
    - There are still too many raiding guilds. Because of the returning "raid tourists", there is not enough guild consolidation to alleviate player scarcity in the weeks & months after the "Seen it, CU next patch" crowd leaves.
    - You're basically hurting those guilds because they pump gear into you that could possibly be used by a raider that actually sticks with the guild throughout progress

It's a shame that Blizz caved to those players by making catchup an actual joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Socronoss View Post
    - There are still too many raiding guilds. Because of the returning "raid tourists", there is not enough guild consolidation to alleviate player scarcity in the weeks & months after the "Seen it, CU next patch" crowd leaves.
    That's the reason Blizzard made normal & hc scale between 10 and 30 players, so guilds that run an average roster of 15-20 people can afford to take a few more during times of high traffic and can still raid even if a few doesn't make it. If you're raiding on a bare minimum 10 man roster then yeah, it's a problem (also some bosses scale unfavourably for the low-end size).

Also that's the reason personal loot was implemented, skips all the loot drama and no more "we pumped gear into this guy and he left", because there's no pumping anymore just individual luck.

Mythic raiding still operates with mostly old system, static lockout, fixed size, often loot master system, but normal / hc is very casual friendly these days in a way it's lenient on people who can't upkeep stellar attendance due to rl commitments or other reasons.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrilaife View Post
    That's the reason Blizzard made normal & hc scale between 10 and 30 players, so guilds that run an average roster of 15-20 people can afford to take a few more during times of high traffic and can still raid even if a few doesn't make it. If you're raiding on a bare minimum 10 man roster then yeah, it's a problem (also some bosses scale unfavourably for the low-end size).

Also that's the reason personal loot was implemented, skips all the loot drama and no more "we pumped gear into this guy and he left", because there's no pumping anymore just individual luck.

Mythic raiding still operates with mostly old system, static lockout, fixed size, often loot master system, but normal / hc is very casual friendly these days in a way it's lenient on people who can't upkeep stellar attendance due to rl commitments or other reasons.
    A bit naive to think that personal loot means the gearing of "carries" relies purely on luck. "Carries" actually get a lot of the loot of others. Those others might not need the item themselves, but there might be others needing it a bit (minor upgrade) that stick around over the "carry" for whom of course it would be a big upgrade.

And don't get me wrong: I have full sympathy for people that raid irregularly because of RL commitments. Even take breaks for a week or two at a time. But there are those that take these "extended breaks" right at the time where raids run into bosses that are harder and require several tries. And only come back when the next content releases. These are the people I'm referring to and assume that OP is one of.

Deleted
    Thanks for all the advice guys will get on with it when I get levelled (probably weekend)

Socronos or whatever your name, if you want to complain about people coming back after extended breaks, please go and make a thread about it I am not interested in what you think of me and you derailed what was a helpful thread. No need to respond I am currently seeing if I can ignore you.

thanks all again