Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Warglaives are one of the dumbest weapon concepts on the planet. There's a reason no real wars were actually fought with them.

Because...Magic...Also because it looks awesome and badass.
    Nah, really, it's as if you were asking how are Fury Warriors Gnomes with pig tails supposed to wield 2 Armageddons. :<

There's a reason why such weapons are not widely seen in real life. They are unwieldy, ineffective and overly cumbersome. In some cases they are as much as a threat to the wielder as the enemy. A fantasy character with superhuman agility and strength would only be able to wield weapons that we have perfected in the real world more effectively thus negating the purpose of glaives and the like, yielding to superior form and function even in the case of them magical materials. Having said all that it just comes down to the rule of cool and suspension of disbelief.

10+ Year Old Account
    They're fantasy weapons, nobody would make them in real life because they'd be garbage weapons in practice. That said, you could still slash or stab with them, and considering their size you could basically use them as shields because of their size. They just aren't practical though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    About the same way one hits something with anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Soul View Post
    At the end of the video (7:00) they try to hit things with it and it just looks awkward and ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by A-sayo View Post
    Because...Magic...Also because it looks awesome and badass.
    Nah, really, it's as if you were asking how are Fury Warriors Gnomes with pig tails supposed to wield 2 Armageddons. :<
    Strength enhancing steam- or gear-tech in their armour.

Double bladed spears and other polearms were used in real combat. So it has a kinda-sorta basis in reality. Rule of cool makes the polearm a sword and then makes it a one-handed weapon. It'd be next to impossible to fight effectively with a real-life warglaive.

You have to spin around and use the middle part as shield, there are way more complicated weapons than warglaives

Quote Originally Posted by NoobistTV-Metro View Post
    It's just a modified twin blade which people used for centuries. The benefit was you could slice up or down and still keep a defensive stance.
    Literally no culture used anything like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboozler View Post
    That same way I summon demons from portals.

Fantasy.
    I don't understand this viewpoint; why play a warlock in WoW when you can just get an oujia board and summon demons in real life.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

Quote Originally Posted by Manabomb View Post
    *shrugs* Mostly because Asian metal folding took the world by storm. Steel folding hasn't been the same since.
    .... sure it has. It was better both before and after.

Damascene steel was dramatically better than anything the Japanese ever made. In fact, it was so good, we still dont know how they did it.

We can, today, produce similar results to Damascus via pattern welding, but the quality is STILL not as good, even with our advanced knowledge of metallurgy. Vikings and the Romans were doing better pattern welding than the Japanese before Christ.

Japanese pattern welding wasn't some special magic - it was the only way to make their shitty steel even capable of being used. (There are battle accounts of when the Koreans tried to invade of Japanese swords (precursors to the later Katana) BREAKING on the Korean lacquered armors of the day. Because that's how shitty the steel was.

Their folding and pattern welding wasnt special, it was necessary to even make usable weapons.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Purpleisbetter View Post
    In a video with R. Lee Ermey, they showed how a Katana would've performed against a typical european claymore.

Tbh it worked just fine with several advantages because of the shape and the weight and its disadvantages as well.
    Yeah, that show was thoroughly debunked.

Quote Originally Posted by JCD000 View Post
    You don't, one of the most unpractical weapon designs... though I'm sure some people on here think you actually can, most likely the same types who believe asian swords are better than everything else.
    Are you implying asian swords are not the best swords? I would like you to tell me what makes you think they aren't. Please..

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    How many sword fights have you been in?
    To be fair it just takes some common sense. One of the most important aspects of a weapon: Their reach.

The reach you gain from a warglaive: It's really just the same reach as holding your hands out, maybe add in a few centimeters.

Then we have every close-combat weapon of war in history, but let's say swords - if you got for a longsword, you can gain about a meter extra reach. By the time someone with a warglaive manages to get into reach, said someone has already been poked by a very stabby object. Or cut if the sword was made for cutting and not thrusting.

Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    Are you implying asian swords are not the best swords? I would like you to tell me what makes you think they aren't. Please...
    They're good, but not the best in my opinion. Asians' 'evolution' of weapons were pretty slow compared to the europeans back then. Europe had a lot of countries at war with one another and they fought people of different cultures and what not, so they always had to figure out better ways to fight. Asians... tended to not do so and they didn't really have others to compare their own work with.

Europe even created their own version of the Katana. "The Messer" - single edged, somewhat curved, and functioned the same. However the materials were usually better and it had one thing the Katana lacked: A crossguard. It also had the ability to bend a bit more than the Katana so it was harder to break.
    Last edited by Sigxy; 2017-06-27 at 04:19 PM.

Poleaxes would obliterate anyone trying to wield those chunks of malformed metal against them.

Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    Are you implying asian swords are not the best swords? I would like you to tell me what makes you think they aren't. Please..
    Theyre not better or worse than others, depending on which ones we're talking about, their uses, what they were used against, et al.

It's not like asian swords are the same, or even remotely similar. There are dozens of different types, just like there are dozens of different types of european swords, and dozens of types of african, middle-eastern, and even asian-islander (indonesia, phillipino) swords.

If we're talking the "typical" weaboo belief that Katana's are the pinnacle of swords.... where do you want me to start?