Need some help getting out of the green (DPS help request)

So I hate having to ask for help with my DPS, but I'm at a bit of a loss as to why I'm sucking so bad lately. Below is a link to H Goroth, which I used as an example of a pretty straightforward almost Patchwerk type fight. I only parsed in the low 30s for my ilvl, but I can't see in looking at the logs where I went wrong. My Agony uptime is pretty much 100%. Corruption is a little less than 100%, but my understanding is that happens when we use MG/Cont because you don't stop draining a UA to reapply Corruption. Feel free to look at the other fights in the log if you feel so inclined.

Looking for constructive comments on what I can do to improve. Please don't just "git gud" on me, lol. I realize I need to get better, which is why I'm asking for help! ;-)

Thanks!

Valentà

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...pe=damage-done

Quote Originally Posted by Tolian View Post
    So I hate having to ask for help with my DPS, but I'm at a bit of a loss as to why I'm sucking so bad lately. Below is a link to H Goroth, which I used as an example of a pretty straightforward almost Patchwerk type fight. I only parsed in the low 30s for my ilvl, but I can't see in looking at the logs where I went wrong. My Agony uptime is pretty much 100%. Corruption is a little less than 100%, but my understanding is that happens when we use MG/Cont because you don't stop draining a UA to reapply Corruption. Feel free to look at the other fights in the log if you feel so inclined.

Looking for constructive comments on what I can do to improve. Please don't just "git gud" on me, lol. I realize I need to get better, which is why I'm asking for help! ;-)

Thanks!

Valentà
    I'm by no means an expert on analyzing logs, but I hear where you are coming from. Sometimes I parse well, other times not so much and it's hard to figure out why to improve for the next time. I found best way to analyze logs is to compare yourself with one of the top 30 parses and see whats different. You can compare based in ilvl, raid size, fight time etc, but when you search, make sure you check the equipped legendaries I can't post any links in the response, but run a compare with yourself and another player named "Cayz."

They used same spec and legendaries as you did and if you check the comparison, you will see that it's quite similar with the exception of the damage from UA. You had 304K sustained through UA, they had 393K UA. They have slightly higher intellect and mastery. Your missing an enchant on your ring as well. So right away there's about 100K difference and it's probably related to RNG versus play ability. They had about 10% more uptime on reap and their DOTs hit harder... and I can't see how many nightfall procs they had so I'm not sure if you (or they) were shard starved for any portion of the fight.

Personally (again, I don't consider myself an expert) I see a ton of RNG which can cause a 750K parse, or a 950K parse purely based on the shard generation and reap uptime... I prefer to play writhe as I'm OCD and can't still in a fight, but I know when I have a decent supply of shards and reap uptime it can increase my DPS by 2-300K...

If anyone has any comments/corrections please feel free to add

I can't post direct links, but here's a screenshot for reference:

Your Log:
    imgur. com /a/da7XV

A 99 parse with a similar kill time:
    imgur. com /a/JD69Q

Notes:
    1. Helm/Chest/Cloak/Ring would be more DPS than Prydaz
    2. You have big gaps where you are casting no UAs. This means you are either:
    -Shard starved, because you are casting 3-4 UAs at once in some places. You should only be casting more than two if you are getting SC procs that are capping you. Look at how smooth the 99 parse's UA separation is. No gaps, consistent 2-4 cast all through the fight. Few single casts, etc.
    -Moving too much, which means you aren't making good use of your Gateways and Demonic Circle
    3. Use your second pot during Lust.

The 99 parse had 12 more UAs cast than you did. That's really the whole difference, besides them having more optimally stated gear, more traits and better legendaries than you.

Position yourself better so you can cast more UAs and drain more.

Your guild mate, Canadice, parsed 91%. Look at his movements/positioning here -- https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...=1&view=replay (click his name in the raid frame so you can highlight him).

He mostly remained in the that one spot at the back except to move for unavoidable mechanics whereas you're all over the place. Like, you'll be on the left side and then you'd use your portal and so you'll end up all the way on the right side and then you'll have to run back to get in range with the boss then constant moving etc. Watch the replay and watch Canadice's positioning versus yours.