Trying to help our Prot warrior

We've killed mythic Goroth 3 times already, but every time we get to it, its guaranteed our prot war is going to die. What can he or we do to fix this? I'm at a loss here.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...eaths&fight=11

Not sure what was happening but we found if the offtank taunted too quickly on tank swap the Armour debuff would be swapped and the tank gets 1 hit. Since we started having the tank wait an extra half second to taunt it stopped happening. We had a bunch of wipes before we figured someone weird was going on. Was happening sometimes to either our warrior or druid. Since we havent had a tank 1 hit except when they have taunted quickly.

10+ Year Old Account
    The tank only has 1 Goroth kill (2 assuming Armory didn't update properly) so there's no point stating you killed it 3 times.

If tanks are getting one-shot by melee then they're not taunting properly. If Burning Armor is an issue the Prot War needs to use Shield Reflect.

Prot War sucks on any unblockable damage fights, and because they are active-mitigation any point the tank has to "slow down" dps/threat it causes problems for them. However, if the tank is trying to min-max dps gain over survival then it's an issue.

Guardian Druids are OP defensively and complaining that Prot War (the tank with the least baseline health and magic-reduction out of all the tanks) is performing worse defensively means nothing. There's nothing to compare to unless both tanks are the same class with similar gear. Prot War stuck with two tiers of bad set bonuses that don't help their weak areas so that doesn't help either, making their only choice to stack versatility to improve magic defense.
    Last edited by ImpTaimer; 2017-07-14 at 06:54 AM.
    There are no bathrooms, only Zuul.

It seems he simply taunted too quickly and got melee'd with the debuff still on (melted armor debuff vs death)

www warcraftlogs com/reports/VW2gBa6yQjGZPMNR/#type=deaths&fight=11&pins=0%24Separate%24%23244F4B%24auras-gained%240%240.0.0.Any%240.0.0.Any%24true%240.0.0.Any%24false%24234264&start=2930669&end=2 939236

(sorry can't post urls)

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    1) When the debuff is applied on the active tank, the debuff on the passive tank hasn´t run out yet. It still persist for ~1 second. If you taunt too quickly and happen to get a swing into your face, you die.
    2) While being affected by the debuff, everything fucks you up. The erruption, that covers 1/4 of the room, ticks ridiculously high, every shatter and every bowling ball hurts like a motherfucker. The more pillars being up, the worse. As the debuffed tank, you NEED to have a cooldown up at that time.
    3) Every second time, Goroth does his huge ass line of sight explosion, a tank will be affected shortly before he starts channeling. We found, that sometimes he would debuff the tank and immediatly channel, not giving the tank any time after he received the debuff to get behind any pillars. That happens rarely, but even if everything works out as intended, the affected tank has 2-3 seconds max to get behind a pillar. you might wanna leap of faith. or give him multiple cooldowns. Our bear survived this situations a few times already. And so did I.

Simple solution: He should set his bossmod to announce the important abilities. Those are: New pool is about to spawn, bowling ball and explosion. Excuse my lack of the proper english names. Whenever these are going off, he needs to check if he currently has the debuff. If so, he needs to call for a cooldown/use one himself.

Generally you can say: The tank, who starts, doesn´t have to worry for such situations until the second explosion (the one with the short timeframe between debuff and explosion) During that time span he will not be affected by debuff while raidwide dmg goes off. After that second explosion, things are the other way around. He will always be affected by the debuff, when raidwide dmg occurs.

This is a pretty straight forward fight. The problem is, that the tanks have to handle debuffs and anticipate, when damage is about to come in. Not everyone can do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I've done nothing wrong. I'm not the one with the problem its everyone else that has a problem with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilesMcStyles View Post
    I don't care that other people don't play the content that I enjoy.

If he has access to the legendary legs that second charge of spell reflect has been a saving grace on Goroth in particular. I use a stam trinket (either skorpyron or the ToS ones, from Hose I think?) and a darkmoon deck immortality. Pop spell reflect with ~1 sec left before the expiration of the dot to apply the debuff so the damage he takes from the initial impact is less, make sure not to taunt early and plan to have a heavy cd along with an external when debuffed and pillars are going to be breaking, either from meteor or the big infernal burning aoe.

Yeah I just checked the log he had melted armory and got meleed. This would kill most anyone. What both tanks need to be aware of is that when the explosive debuff is applied to the other tank you still have it for 1 second. You have to wait for this to go away before taunting. Along with that you should tell him when picking up the boss he should at the same time as taunting apply shield block or start Nelth's fury and come out of Nelth's fury with shield block active at about the same time it ends. You don't want to clip Nelth's Fury too much but in this tier the melee swings are massive and there is zero reason as a tank swap is happening not to have one or the other active.

Okay so I looked over the logs. His death on your kill was because he Intercepted back to your druid after dropping off his burning armor detonation. Intercept causes you to take melee attacks for the target. Taking melee attacks with melted armor kills you. Pretty simple, he should have just cast Intercept on the boss instead of your druid.

2 of his other deaths look like his fault, one hit by infernal burning (he had the tough combo and wasn't ready for it by the look of the replay, burning armor during infernal burning cast. You just have to know this is coming and be ready) and one where he taunted without shield block / anything up and just got smashed by 2 melees, and that is pretty embarrassing.

His other few early deaths in these 11 pulls were your druid's fault, either because the druid died while the warrior still had melted armor (mostly that's the druid's fault as far as I can tell), or in a couple of cases he got hit by your druid's burning armor explosion. One it looks like he kind of moved into and the other looks like your druid didn't really move.

In summary, these can be chalked up to having 2 inexperienced / not super great tanks. It wasn't really his fault a couple of times, and the tough combo at ~2m is going to kill a lot of tanks new to the mythic fight or not used to doing that particular one (it's a combo unique to mythic and I believe it only happens once per pull to one tank). Goroth is a very straightforward fight to tank with just a couple of rough ability lineups you need to be prepped for, but he didn't even die to those the majority of the time; he died to not playing his class very well for a moment, or to the other tank dying first. It's important for your tanks to work with each other to figure out how best to approach a fight in a way that works consistently for both of them.

Deleted
    There are four dangerous moments in this fight:

1. Tank swap - dont' taunt before your 300% damage taken increase debuff has fully expired (like people have mentioned)
    2. Circle-debuff runs out and deals about 3m magic damage (use spell reflect and some ignore pain)
    3. There is a shattering star (or whatever the raid wide damage thing is called) that goes into the raid while you have 300% increased damage taken. Best to use a cd here. Happens infrequently so you can shield wall or last stand (or both) here.
    4. Infernal burning right after your circle debuff expires - position correctly and heroic leap.

Deleted
    Too many pillars dying while tank has 300% debuff is a killer if he's not prepared for it.

prot warrior just needs more magical resist, they are only good in heroic ToS cuz most boss do physical but in mythic or other raids they lack M R