Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ...
    I don't care about the numbers themselves, I configure MSBT to shorten them to 3.7M rather than 3,771,042. Makes no difference to me whatsoever either way.

Quote Originally Posted by nyc81991 View Post
    I really don't understand why people have such a hard time with "large numbers". It's not like were talking billions or trillions.

Yes, it's AP and not damage numbers, but still, it's getting a bit much. They need to actually pick a sliding scale with the next stat squish, one that's designed for something more long-term, rather than just an expansion.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't see the issue. Then again, I don't have Scrolling Combat Text or anything else that puts the numbers right in my face, and considering that Stat Squish is just a bandage, offering the illusion of 'Smaller Numbers' When they're just scaling back the percentages, what's the point?

People get so bent out of shape about this, kinda like people who think the amount of gold we can have (or do have in the case of some folks) is TOO DAMN HIGH.

Why does it matter, at all? Does it really affect your capacity of enjoying the game that much? If it does, maybe you sit down and reflect on your priorities in life.
    Personal Preference and Opinions ≠ Facts, Truth, or Logic

Quote Originally Posted by Molvonos View Post
    I don't see the issue. Then again, I don't have Scrolling Combat Text or anything else that puts the numbers right in my face, and considering that Stat Squish is just a bandage, offering the illusion of 'Smaller Numbers' When they're just scaling back the percentages, what's the point?

People get so bent out of shape about this, kinda like people who think the amount of gold we can have (or do have in the case of some folks) is TOO DAMN HIGH.

Why does it matter, at all? Does it really affect your capacity of enjoying the game that much? If it does, maybe you sit down and reflect on your priorities in life.
    The higher numbers the higher probability of failure in calculatings and harder to balance for Blizzard.

Sucks how we need to have to be nerfed every 2 expansions just because some people's brains are too small to comprehend big numbers...
    /r/iamverysmart
    /r/justneckbeardthings

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    The higher numbers the higher probability of failure in calculatings and harder to balance for Blizzard.
    Explain.

Because as I understand it, the scaling back of numbers, (I.E. Stat Squish) is purely a percentile thing. Which is why almost all the nerfs/buffs they do are in percentages. So whether something hits for 100 damage or 10,000 damage makes no difference.

Explain.

Because as I understand it, the scaling back of numbers, (I.E. Stat Squish) is purely a percentile thing. Which is why almost all the nerfs/buffs they do are in percentages. So whether something hits for 100 damage or 10,000 damage makes no difference.
    The higher numbers in the number system the higher probability of errors and different outcomes in calculatings.

Wotlk was the best spot for me and no, i hate big numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by volescue View Post
    Sucks how we need to keep getting inflated numbers because some people are too insecure about their e-power and need to compensate by adding extra 0's.

Or some people could just like the aesthetics of not seeing 6 0's fly across their screen, and some other people could like the aesthetics of having a bunch of 0's fly across their screen.

IMO, they should just add an UI option that allows you to divide HP, Mana, healing, and damage scroll text by 10, 100, 1000, etc. cosmetically and be done with it.
    I think stat squish should happen and the UI option for adding 6 random digits near damage numbers should be added for hardcore RPers who believe their character's power can only bet determined from exponentially increasing numbers

I don't really give a shit about the numbers, just as long as things die. If something dies at 10 damage or 11 billion makes no difference to me.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wvvtayy View Post
    I love how my dots tick for hundreds of thousands of damage, I love how we have millions of hp and do millions of dps. It just feels awesome, and I'm going to be really sad when there's another stat squish next expansion and we have another entire expansion of feeling nerfed again like wod before we get back to these huge numbers. Sucks how we need to have to be nerfed every 2 expansions just because some people's brains are too small to comprehend big numbers...
    honestly, I can see your side, but to me it just feels inflated. It may be because I remember when 5k dps was decent (beginning of Wrath). So seeing 1m-1.5m dps just feels DragonballZ-esque
    Sylvaeres-Azkial-Pailerth @Proudmoore

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    The higher numbers in the number system the higher probability of errors and different outcomes in calculatings.
    I just don't see it. Blizzard deals with percentages, it's one reason why the numbers keep going up and why we're needing another stat squish. When the values go beyond 100%, things start getting 'blown out of proportion', as it's said, but ultimately it's still percentile tweaking.

Priest (Forums / Skills / Talent Calculator / Artifact Calculator / PvP Talent Calculator)
    Shadow
    Vampiric Touch and Shadow Word: Pain damage reduced by 12%.
    All other abilities increased by 3%.

Rogue (Forums / Skills / Talent Calculator / Artifact Calculator / PvP Talent Calculator)
    Outlaw
    All damage abilities increased by 4%.

Warlock (Forums / Skills / Talent Calculator / Artifact Calculator / PvP Talent Calculator)
    Affliction
    Corruption and Agony damage reduced 6%
    Unstable Affliction damage reduced 4%
    I imagine that if I go back far enough in the patch notes, back to WotLK or further, you'll find most number tweaks are identical. Not all of them, but most. I'm willing to bet (my speculation) that 'Stat Squishes' are simply reverting the percentiles under 100%. So in two or three expansions, we'll be back where we are now, with these same conversations going on.

**Edit: Yarp, found it.

Patch 3.3.3

Death Knights
    [Icy Touch]: This ability now causes a very high amount of threat while the death knight is in Frost Presence.
    [Chains of Ice]: The ability now innately applies Frost Fever to a target.
    [Rune of Razorice]: Now stacks 5 stacks of 2% Frost Vulnerability instead of 10 stacks of 1% Frost Vulnerability. Proc chance changed to 100%.
    Talents
    Blood
    [Abomination's Might]: This effect is now passive instead of being a proc on certain strikes. Rank 1 is 5% attack power and Rank 2 is 10% attack power. The self strength buff remains unchanged.
    [Will of the Necropolis]: There is no longer a cooldown on the frequency at which this talent can be activated. In addition, this ability can now also be triggered by damage which deals less than 5% of your health.
    Frost
    [Endless Winter]: No longer causes Frost Fever to be applied by Chains of Ice, but instead grants 2/4% strength.
    [Icy Talons]: The personal haste benefit provided by this talent is no longer exclusive with other sources of melee haste. This will allow death knights to always swing 4/8/12/16/20% faster when Frost Fever is applied. Windfury Totem and the party/raid component of Improved Icy Talons still do not stack.
    [Improved Icy Talons]: This effect is now passive instead of being a proc. The self haste buff remains unchanged.
    [Nerves of Cold Steel]: Now increases off-hand damage by 8/16/25%, up from 5/10/15%.
    [Unbreakable Armor]: The amount of strength granted is now 20%, up from 10%.
    Last edited by Molvonos; 2017-12-11 at 03:37 PM.

I just don't see it. Blizzard deals with percentages, it's one reason why the numbers keep going up and why we're needing another stat squish. When the values go beyond 100%, things start getting 'blown out of proportion', as it's said, but ultimately it's still percentile tweaking.

I imagine that if I go back far enough in the patch notes, back to WotLK or further, you'll find most number tweaks are identical. Not all of them, but most. I'm willing to bet (my speculation) that 'Stat Squishes' are simply reverting the percentiles under 100%. So in two or three expansions, we'll be back where we are now, with these same conversations going on.
    I meant the stats disproportion in the gear. Which I believe has solid connection the the big numbers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly the worst part about the current numbers is how disproportionate they are. Seeing a DoT do 100k damage and some other attack do like 3m damage just feels bad.

Though that's not exactly related to the hyperinflated numbers, it still sucks to see some attacks do thousands of damage while others do millions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    I wonder if https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subitizing has any place in this discussion, seeing as I'm fairly confident a lot of people just sort of stop reading the damage numbers alltogether when its' a bunch of 6 and 7 digit nrs. Having to waste mental processing finding the significant digits in that clutter.

crits such as
    1823 versus a 182,000 hp target
    feels a lot more tangible than
    18,293,291,231 crit on a target with 1,825,212,293,252 hp

Still roughly 0.1%, the first is easy to process instantly, the latter is a cluttered goddamn mess.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

Quote Originally Posted by SL1200 View Post
    First squish went a long way to ruining wow for me. Broke the immersion.
    Quite the opposite. The stat squish KEEPS things more immersive. How much raid content should a BoA wild boar be able to solo and/or 1 shot before you get your immersion back?

MC Ragnaros being able to be 1 shot by a pig is immersive, right? Nefarian? KT? It isn't immersive to think that even we can do these things, but we need to for gameplay reasons.

It's like DBZ power levels. There's a reason they got rid of them. When powers keep growing exponentially, they get stupid strong and nothing makes sense (A 3000? power level destroying the moon, any Ki blast later in the series would 1) destroy the planet or 2) do nothing at all to anyone getting hit by it). The best thing we could do is ignore this power creep or try to keep it in check.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiili View Post
    Murder can be justified and to a certain extent I believe genocide can be justified aswell.

7+ Year Old Account
    I prefer squish.

Doing 500-1000 normally then seeing like a 3000 crit felt great.

As opposed to doing 43895784309570389-56954964589674985 and critting for 34845092364238746234320.

Deleted
    I've turned off floating combat text as I find it to be nothing but a distraction, but I will miss having millions of health. =(