Question relic ilvl -> weapon ilvl

Hi all,

I noticed something strange while browsing relic upgrades, so I came here in hope someone could explain this to me.

Through the whole expansion my understanding was, that relics give weapon item levels on a fixed pattern, where +1/+2 weapon ilvls alternate.

Each xx5 relic ilvl would give +1 weapon ilvl
    Each xx0 relic ilvl would give +2 weapon ilvls

This pattern was true from the very first relics I saw until now.

Now I checked some relics in the high ilvl area and found that this pattern changes.

The relic upgrade from 935 -> 940 gives +2 weapon levels as expected
    The relic upgrade from 940 -> 945 gives +1 weapon level as expected
    The relic upgrade from 945 -> 950 also gives only +1 weapon level (where +2 is expected)
    The relic upgrade from 950 -> 955 gives +2 weapon levels (where +1 is expected)

So for some reason, the pattern twists at the 945 -> 950 upgrade mark. I did not read anything about planned changes or intended ilvl scaling adjustment, so I wondered, why this happened.

Do you think this is just a bug or oversight, or an intended change or is there simply some strange formula that resulted in the +1/+2 pattern until now and gave a different result for this exact point?

Any insight´s appreciated
    Last edited by Carmion; 2017-09-15 at 01:48 PM.

If I had to make a wild guess? Rounding error.

This is a possibility somewhat covered by my request for the "formula", but I doubt that this is available.

But I assume that this exception to the pattern is nothing we can explain with certainty.

- - - Updated - - -

Mhok, doesn´t seem as anybody had more information about this...

Quote Originally Posted by Carmion View Post
    This is a possibility somewhat covered by my request for the "formula", but I doubt that this is available.

But I assume that this exception to the pattern is nothing we can explain with certainty.

- - - Updated - - -

Mhok, doesn´t seem as anybody had more information about this...
    Was wondering the exact same thing. It could be that pattern repeats 1s every so often to produce the curve to whatever value they have set as the end. You see it sometimes when counting pixels (same idea).

It's a floored (rounded down) linear interpolation.

floor(35+(146-35)*(X-820)/(1200-820)) = Y

X is relic ilvl Y is weapon ilvl. Points on the line chosen randomly they have no real meaning. As an example a 930 relic would map to 67.13 which rounds down to 67 as we see in game. A 935 on the other hand would be 68.59 which again we round down (as it is floor not conventional rounding) maping to 68 as seen in game.
    Last edited by Zulandia; 2017-09-25 at 12:35 AM.

assuming other 2 relics don't change. Which one matches?
    Last edited by Jabberie; 2017-09-25 at 01:24 AM.