Deleted

auto-run to the left/right

hi champs!

right now I can press auto-run and then my toon runs forward.
    I would like to be able to press A or D and then hit auto-run and then let go of A or D but keep running in the same direction.
    is there a way to auto-run to the left/right?

any input would be greatly appreciated!

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    auto run only goes forward.

turn your camera to the left or right

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jurani View Post
    turn your camera to the left or right
    I would like to see what I would see running forward while actually running to the left/right.

maybe there is a way to have the game think you turned your camera as well...

i highly doubt blizz will implement this.

u have to well, move ur character like in an fps.

Deleted
    I used the movement-pad and click macros to make my toon auto-run to the right/left but the problem is that I cant use normal A and D as well

Deleted
    still looking for help here =(

10+ Year Old Account
    Strafe is the key! That is how I did mine, I also keybound strafe to my mouse side buttons

10+ Year Old Account
    theres no strafe autowalk in wow
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll just quote the first reply in the thread, since it's the answer you're looking for
    Quote Originally Posted by S7orm View Post
    auto run only goes forward.

Deleted
    I think it's possible to do this with the Move Pad (you can enable it in interface options under Accessibility).

If you enable it, you can make a macro that toggles strafe, like this:
    /click MovePadStrafeLeft

You could then create an AddOn, which remaps your movement keys to proxy buttons, which run macros that toggle movement through the Move Pad. If you just make the button run that simple macro on key press and key release, then it's practically the same as normal movement keys, but you can create more complex functionality by changing the macro mid-click.

I don't have time to do it right now, and likely not in near future, but it would work kinda similarly to this:
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...rgeted-Casting

Basically your custom auto-walk button would work like the CancelButton in AoEonRelease. If you press the CancelButton when you're holding down an action button with an AoE ability, the cancel button will alter the state of that action button in such a way that it won't cast the spell when that key is released. Similarly your auto-walk button would change the state of your movement keys in such a way that when you release the movement key, it won't toggle off the movement.

There could be some unexpected issues with this, but it should work at some level. The issue with AoEonRelease was that there is no way to figure out whether the ability is castable when the key is pressed down, so you in some situations it casts the spell when the button is released without seeing the ground AoE targeting circle. Even though the idea was cool otherwise, that kind of inconsistency is annoying. Maybe there would be issues with this kind of auto-walk AddOn, maybe there wouldn't. It's hard to consider all possibilities without testing it in practice.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a very simple AddOn that adds toggleable auto-walk to all directions using the Move Pad.

Code:
    UIParentLoadAddOn("Blizzard_MovePad")
    MovePadFrame:Hide()
    local Directions = {
    	["Forward"]     = "SHIFT-W",
    	["StrafeLeft"]  = "SHIFT-A",
    	["Backward"]    = "SHIFT-S",
    	["StrafeRight"] = "SHIFT-D",
    }
    for direction, key in pairs(Directions) do
    	local buttonName = "MovementProxyButton" .. direction
    	local b = CreateFrame("Button", buttonName, UIParent, "SecureActionButtonTemplate")
    	b:SetAttribute("type", "macro")
    	b:SetAttribute("macrotext", "/click MovePad" .. direction)
    	b:RegisterForClicks("AnyDown")
    	SetOverrideBindingClick(b, true, key, buttonName)
    end
    This lacks some basic logic needed to make it usable in practice, but it does allow you to strafe auto-walk. It requires different binding for each direction, and sometimes you need to press the button twice (if you break the auto-walk by using your normal movement keys, then it still thinks that the auto-walk button is pressed down). As mentioned earlier, I don't have the time right now to develop this any further, but it seems completely possible to make it worth with one global auto-walk key that works in all directions.

Quote Originally Posted by Rinnegan View Post
    I would like to see what I would see running forward while actually running to the left/right.

maybe there is a way to have the game think you turned your camera as well...
    Why don't you just run forwards (read: left or right) and... turn your camera to the side (read: forwards)? Literally the same thing without implementing anything new.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Swiftshadow View Post
    i highly doubt blizz will implement this.

u have to well, move ur character like in an fps.
    Yes, it's like seeing your coords on the map, blizz will never implent it and you will never in anyway be able to see your coords bro, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Soisoisoi View Post
    Why don't you just run forwards (read: left or right) and... turn your camera to the side (read: forwards)? Literally the same thing without implementing anything new.
    Not really, "auto-strafe" would be really nice for a range fighter, and that's only the first example that comes to my mind as I never thought of it... I'm sure there are convenient uses for it.

OP, what you want seems kinda hard to get (at least to me right now). I searched around and I found other people asking for this or similar, and they got useless answers like you did here. Seriously, look at this brilliant comment: "auto run only goes forward. " WOW! Genius input... thanks for stating the obvious issue that OP wants to overcome, topic can be closed now.

Anyway, back to the point: What exactly would you get out of strafing left or right automatically?
    Do you have camera autofollow* enabled? I personally don't and I'm able to move forward looking anywhere around me, camera stays wherever I want. My autorun is bound to ALT+W, so toggling it and moving camera anywhere is quick and smooth for me.
    Also, you could save 2 camera positions, 90º to your sides, and have them bound to some convenient key, I'd go with alt modifiers for -a- and -d-. So, with the bindset above you could toggle autorun with alt+w and then hit -a- or -d- while still holding alt. That would enable you to toggle autorun and turn your camera 90º very quickly, ¿less than 0.5s without any effort? Maybe you can even macro everything to a single key press.

Only thing I could find is a very old addon (2015) that claims to: [...] also an auxiliary addon for MouselookHandler to allow strafing with the left and right mouse buttons while still being able to move forward while pressing both.
    New to forums so I can't send links, -ForwardStrafe- is the name of it, found on curse.

[*] I don't know if -camera autofollow- is the name for it, or even the option, but theres an option for it in the camera settings.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalolt View Post
    I think it's possible to do this with the Move Pad (you can enable it in interface options under Accessibility).
    wow dude...thank you sooo much for all this effort. gunna look into it asap!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludd View Post
    Yes, it's like seeing your coords on the map, blizz will never implent it and you will never in anyway be able to see your coords bro, sorry.

Not really, "auto-strafe" would be really nice for a range fighter, and that's only the first example that comes to my mind as I never thought of it... I'm sure there are convenient uses for it.

OP, what you want seems kinda hard to get (at least to me right now). I searched around and I found other people asking for this or similar, and they got useless answers like you did here. Seriously, look at this brilliant comment: "auto run only goes forward. " WOW! Genius input... thanks for stating the obvious issue that OP wants to overcome, topic can be closed now.

Anyway, back to the point: What exactly would you get out of strafing left or right automatically?
    Do you have camera autofollow* enabled? I personally don't and I'm able to move forward looking anywhere around me, camera stays wherever I want. My autorun is bound to ALT+W, so toggling it and moving camera anywhere is quick and smooth for me.
    Also, you could save 2 camera positions, 90º to your sides, and have them bound to some convenient key, I'd go with alt modifiers for -a- and -d-. So, with the bindset above you could toggle autorun with alt+w and then hit -a- or -d- while still holding alt. That would enable you to toggle autorun and turn your camera 90º very quickly, ¿less than 0.5s without any effort? Maybe you can even macro everything to a single key press.

Only thing I could find is a very old addon (2015) that claims to: [...] also an auxiliary addon for MouselookHandler to allow strafing with the left and right mouse buttons while still being able to move forward while pressing both.
    New to forums so I can't send links, -ForwardStrafe- is the name of it, found on curse.

[*] I don't know if -camera autofollow- is the name for it, or even the option, but theres an option for it in the camera settings.
    wow thank you man. these 2 addons are actually working and do what I wanted to achieve. i need to hold one mouse button down to strafe but its better than on the keyboard for sure. thanks man!