Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    The general notion here is that you are having fun while playing.

If grinding rep to get something is fun, then there is no issue. Blizzard is essentially allowing players to have more options at having fun. Who doesn't have fun doing this(like me) won't even bother with the reputation; these people will go do something else.

If you are not having fun, don't do it. If you are, do it.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    Yeah... I bet these people making these complaints, would sue McDonald's for "making" them fat... They sure seem to belong to that camp of reasoning.
    That's exactly what it is. People these days have absolutely no concept of personal responsibility. It's too easy to shirk it off and blame someone else for ignorance/misfortune than it is to own it. Kinda what happens when you have a reward first, work later societal structure.

If people are so hardcore on being a completionist, why don't they have Bloodsail Admiral FoS already?

Just don't do it if you don't want to. Problem solved.

10+ Year Old Account
    so dramatic geez, if you need a toy so badly then thats totally on yourself, else learn some self control
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

The addict complains about the availability of their fix. So ridiculous.

I collect pets, toys, mounts, and transmog. That's my primary reason for playing. When it comes to the Jolly Roger toy, I already had the rep/achievement/title to get it, so it wasn't that big of a deal for me. But my partner didn't have it, so he spent a couple hours in the phased version of Booty Bay during a certain quest to get the rep. And...he had fun doing it. We have fun collecting things, but if things are too tedious we take our time, or skip things entirely.

That should be the point of it - fun. There are way too many pieces of transmog that I don't have due to rep for certain armor classes, and I don't go out of my way to get that. There are TCG toys and fishing toys (like most of the bobbers) that I haven't even really cared to try for yet. I've gotten all of the toys, mounts, and pets from Argus rares already, and I had fun doing it. I'm currently working on the unique transmog sets for plate and cloth - I'm only missing the helm for the Felslinger set, and I have mixed pieces of all the others. If it becomes too tedious or boring, I take a break from that for a while. I'm still missing paragon mounts from the Dreamweavers, Nightfallen, and Valarjar, but I'm not too worried about it.

tl;dr - It should be fun. There will be plenty of time to get all of these things now or in the future. If people want to get things done right away because they have the time and money, then that's their choice. It's also their choice to skip things entirely, or unsub if they're not enjoying the game. It's their life.
    3 hints to surviving MMO-C forums:
    1.) If you have an opinion, someone will say that it is wrong
    2.) If you have a source, there will be people who refuse to believe it
    3.) If you use logic, it will be largely ignored
    btw: Spires of Arak = Arakkoa.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kary View Post
    You've modded these forums long enough to know that this statement is false.
    Quote Originally Posted by Erinhia View Post
    I used to collect ALL pets, mounts and achievements. For a while, I nearly had every single one in all 3 of those categories. But now there's just too many out there, and I just don't have enough time any more to farm those things.

But so what...? I just moved on and now I pick up the stuff I think is cool and don't bother with the grinds I don't have time for or don't care about. I can't exactly blame Blizzard for putting out loads more collectibles just because I don't have the time to get them all.
    How sensible.

@kary: I think that what I said is true but that one needs to say it now and then to remind people who may be getting carried away that it's OK to not do everything. It's OK to unsubscribe if you are done for a bit. Given the theme park nature of the game I've never seen anyone call Disney World a failure because someone didn't ride every ride, do every single thing there was to do and then left before the park closed. That's fucking ridiculous. Well, here too.

There are others--like the op I suppose--that insist it's some insidious plot to get us to play their game. I have yet to see anything wrong with that idea. It's terrible business to not want people to play your game. I can't even imagine how messed up someone has to be to resent a game studio providing things to do in a game that might want to make you play it.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Richardbro View Post
    In-Game collectibles likes Pets, Mounts and Gear have been a huge deal in not only WoW bot must MMO's for decades. Players LOVE collecting things, and I'm one of those types of players. I get a lot of fun in doing so. Now with the inclusion of the Toy Chest in WoD, there are even more things to collect.

Blizzard knows very well that many of it's player-base plays the game primarily for collecting things. A lot of resources go into mounts pets and other collectibles and players enjoy it.

Starting in MoP, the inclusion of World Boss mounts that drop at a sickening 0.1% drop chance was introduced, and some players today are still slaving away weekly at a chance to get them, many of them wanting freedom at this point.

But with Legion, I've seen a more different approach by Blizzard. They know a lot of players will do anything to get a limited time or limited window item, even if it's something they care nothing about. For this new pirate toy, 99% of players wouldn't have even given a shit about the pirate rep.... until today. Now I'm seeing 30+ groups of Bloodsail rep farms for a single toy collectible in the pre-made group finder. Players are going mad to ensure they get this toy or will have to wait until next year. I have had the Insane title for 2 years, so getting the new pirate Toy was as easy as purchasing it from the vendor.

Another approach from Blizzard in this expansion have been the paragon caches that drop mounts. They know that many players will stay subbed until they get these damned things, and will profit from it.

With this new pirate event, it has become clear to me that Blizzard has its hands and control all over a large portion of the player base and its starting to make me realize that I might not see Blizzard face to face anymore.

TL;DR, new pirate rep toys are making players go crazy for a single toy, highlighting Blizzard's control over their addiction. I'm starting to realize the direction of the game is going in weird desperate places. The new Blizzcon mounts are good indicators that Blizzard has gotten desperate since they know that a larger majority of players will buy the Virtual Ticket for the mounts than previously before with measily pets.
    Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, they just wanted to put a fun toy in the game that is pirate themed.

Like a lot of these sorts of posts, you seem to be operating on some sort of presumption that as a collector, you deserve to be able to collect all the things in what you deem is a 'reasonable' manner; aka, your manner.

Sorry, the bad news for you is that there are all types of players and the content that gets added is for exactly that; different types of players.

The irony is, you have the insane title and you seem to not 'get' that it was a nice extra reward for your effort. I know it was for me.

Also, and please, your conspiracy theories of addiction-manipulation are just silly. You are completely missing the fact that they added something players want and gave them a reason to play and/or do something different.

You know, "play the game".

edit:actually, after re-reading your post, I'm pretty sure it was written entirely for you to highlight your insane title and that you have the toy.

OP you're ridiculous. You need to grow up and get your priorities straight. Collecting stuff in the game is fun. You're the one having issues with it.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Yes they do and they are painfully aware of significant amounts of players are hoarders and completionists. Why do you think there's more pets, mounts and silly toys being pushed out than ever before? You'll drive yourself insane trying to keep up yet some enjoy that masochism. It's unhealthy and part of the reason people quit because there will always be a new collect or kill 9999 whatever or a new FoS for meaningless internet prestige that you'll feel good about for a week or two and then it's back to grinding whatever you pick next as your chore and look forward to be done and never go back to again however with Blizz it's never over. If you're not playing because of friends and guildies then get out and go on an irl adventure instead.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    How sensible.

@kary: I think that what I said is true but that one needs to say it now and then to remind people who may be getting carried away that it's OK to not do everything. It's OK to unsubscribe if you are done for a bit. Given the theme park nature of the game I've never seen anyone call Disney World a failure because someone didn't ride every ride, do every single thing there was to do and then left before the park closed. That's fucking ridiculous. Well, here too.

There are others--like the op I suppose--that insist it's some insidious plot to get us to play their game. I have yet to see anything wrong with that idea. It's terrible business to not want people to play your game. I can't even imagine how messed up someone has to be to resent a game studio providing things to do in a game that might want to make you play it.
    Addicts tend to blame everyone but themselves

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Richardbro View Post
    Starting in MoP, the inclusion of World Boss mounts that drop at a sickening 0.1% drop chance was introduced, and some players today are still slaving away weekly at a chance to get them, many of them wanting freedom at this point.

Players are going mad to ensure they get this toy or will have to wait until next year. I have had the Insane title for 2 years, so getting the new pirate Toy was as easy as purchasing it from the vendor.
    Haha dumb people will be dumb, that's nothing Blizzard can fix.
    Ofc the will try to prey on these impulses. All businesses do that rather mercilessly.
    They are a BUSINESS and they want to make MONEY first and foremost.

Also, they want some things to be rare.