Poll: Would you like to remove Static Portals and get More Transports between city hubs?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    I don't necessarily have problems with portals. The only thing that bugs me is that in pandaria after the initial scenario you can only get there via a small portal in the pandaren camp in orgrimmar / stormwind.
    And in Warlords of Draenor there is a huge red portal. Where does it lead to? To ashran lol.

As a Mage, I'd have to agree. Mage Portals are literally useless in Legion outside of saving 1/2 Hearthstone spaces and a loadscreen, I guess.

I can understand why it wont happen though, and as a Mage, I don't really WANT it to happen. It's annoying enough to get like 5 whispers an hour.

Maybe add like a Mark/Recall spell (but I can see that being kind of wonky)

Quote Originally Posted by Kragragh View Post
    No. No. No.

The last thing we need is people bored with nothing to do but say nonsense and harass people.
    Like we do already ?
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurelious View Post
    Also, Before I go. You go straight to hell, Pal. As an Actual LARPer, and lifelong Role-player. I believe I know what the hell immersion is. Just because your brain is too simple to understand a concept, and you're a lazy douche, doesn't mean you have the end-say in what other people feel.
    Portals don't ruin Immersion, as they are sensible within the lore of the world. What ruins the world is the world wide chat options, the ability to know where others are instantly by 'joining a group' etc... yet they are important systems. Just because you do something that is focused around a concept doesn't mean you understand the concept. Immersion is only ruined if it takes your mind out of the setting and reminds you that it isn't real... portals don't fall on that, and loading screens are required.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    No, sod off. We had to deal with cata not having portals and that was a ballache unless you had a guildie who could summon you.

The Lightbringer Archmage Alodi's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Traveling isn't fun , they shouldn't make it slower and more annoying.
    THE HORDE WILL ENDURE
    THE HORDE IS STRONG!

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I find it interesting that they remove flying for game-play but also because it makes the world bigger but then turn around and become increasingly liberal with portals everywhere for quick travel. It'd be fine if they were just consistent in their philosophy throughout the game.

You're right in your arguments and it would make a lot more sense if we talked to an NPC to teleport us where we want to go for a small fee rather than an array of portals to multiple locations constantly being powered for use. Guess they do it that way for the cool looks factor. How many hearthstones do you need though to be content and comfortable? Just making portals two way would be a quality of life feature as well solving a lot of logistics when getting around in-game. Weird goblin or gnome tech haven't taken off to massively profit from a teleport network across Azeroth with all the adventurers needing fast travel.
    Last edited by Tiwack; 2017-10-15 at 11:44 AM.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfrick View Post
    1st is about transportas and how they travel a very short distance before loading screen comes up

2nd is about how static city portals makes World of warcraft fake and full of Loading screens.
    1.) Same difference in the end when your "solution" to the "problem" is the same for both.
    2.)You do understand that you get loading screens for the vast majority of boats, airships, and even places like the Ironforge tram, right? They exist because of how the game is made, with different continents and areas on different maps entirely. So, portals have absolutely nothing to do with loading screens, making your point absolutely pointless. There are also places that have no other option besides transporters/portals, like EPL->Ghostlands, Broken Isles->Argus, Azeroth->Deepholm, etc.
    3 hints to surviving MMO-C forums:
    1.) If you have an opinion, someone will say that it is wrong
    2.) If you have a source, there will be people who refuse to believe it
    3.) If you use logic, it will be largely ignored
    btw: Spires of Arak = Arakkoa.

I think the static portals should stay (hell more added) and the ability to port be removed from mages.. because the static portal is always there to use and mages are not always there to use- or if they are there and available - they are not willing/caring enough to do it. I do not want the average WoW players attitude to determine whether I can port somewhere or not.

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Vanilla had no portals aside from higher level mages or warlock summons.

But you also had far less repeatable world content, so travel time made up a big chunk of the leveling/max level type gameplay.

You even had to walk to battleground portal to queue at first.

Now with Legion, we got more portals then ever, cataclysm started adding portals/fast-travel between leveling zones too even if it were 1-time.

Legion also has an infinite amount more repeatable content, so travel time isn't a big "gameplay" factor anymore.

I like being able to port to westfall/karazhan as horde now, since it's close to like blackrock mountain etc if you don't have direbrew remote. Spending 10-15 minutes going by boat/zeppelin + ground travel isn't exactly interesting gameplay. (Mage Portal stonard was later added in TBC I believe because of Karazhan)

Deleted
    I'd love the outrage if they did indeed remove the portals for a month as a pre-expansion event.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiwack View Post
    I find it interesting that they remove flying for game-play but also because it makes the world bigger but then turn around and become increasingly liberal with portals everywhere for quick travel. It'd be fine if they were just consistent in their philosophy throughout the game.

You're right in your arguments and it would make a lot more sense if we talked to an NPC to teleport us where we want to go for a small fee rather than an array of portals to multiple locations constantly being powered for use. Guess they do it that way for the cool looks factor. How many hearthstones do you need though to be content and comfortable? Just making portals two way would be a quality of life feature as well solving a lot of logistics when getting around in-game. Weird goblin or gnome tech haven't taken off to massively profit from a teleport network across Azeroth with all the adventurers needing fast travel.
    The difference here is where portals are easy to make/program into the game - flying takes more planning - time - bug removal - make sure the airspace is right all that jazz.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfrick View Post
    I am talking about "Lore Fakeness" if a Creature would take as many portals as we do Normaly there physical body would be Destroyed of all that mana and enegry going into our Bodies, I just enjoy the Lore and would like more Common Transports.

Loading screen are Necessary 100%, the only Issue is that they could make it so that Ships/Zeppelin transport travel a longer distance before the loading screen engages ^^
    you can take the common transports now, but you're complaining there aren't enough people on them to keep you company, and that's not going to happen.

7+ Year Old Account
    Did someone just delete my whole post?
    dont think so

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    I just wish mages had received a useful portal/teleport target for Legion. Apart from that - everything else is fine.

What I'd love to see is the following combo:

Set Anchor : Set anchor at current location in open world - cost 500g.
    Teleport Anchor : Teleports to anchor location.
    Portal Anchor : Portal to anchor location.
    Very intriguing idea. Currently I'm not playing, so I don't know if portal business is still a thing, but that could bring some fun. You could sell mystery portals that would teleport people to weird locations. That would be also great to help people get to mostly unreachable places, convenient for exploits. You could whisper people "Hey, wanna get under Stormwind? It's only 1k for you." like a creepy peddler.

I recall, in vanilla, wanting to go see the home of the Dwarves and Humans as a Night elf. That was a thing.
    That was a thing. But it's not gone because you have the convenience of getting there more easily, it's gone because the experience of seeing a new place that was hard to get to for the first time is replaced by new territories added in each expansion rather than restricting access to the main cities. Honestly, if it's that important to you, you should already be getting the same feeling from exploring new zones without the ease and access of flight and teleporters the first few playthroughs of each expansion. It's not gone.

As for the rest of your experience, you're not likely going to have that anyways since you know how to play the game and have explored those areas, compared to a time when all of that was new. Teleporters didn't take this experience away from you. You simply choose to take the faster routes because you knowingly have access to them compared to a time when you didn't know anything about flight paths, mounts or teleporters and had to explore on foot. It seems like the experience you want would be more easily acquired if you stopped using mounts altogether.
    Last edited by Thimagryn; 2017-10-17 at 07:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    "Real" Demon Hunters don't work as a class in modern WoW
    Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    Please point out to me the player Demon Hunter who has Meta.

I would support it if alternative transport methods are available, as you mention, but never if it means I have to look for a mage every time I want to go some place.

Yes. It breaks immersion and allows lazy players to skip over content.

Oh hmm... convince to players it is.... but wait isn't that the argument against flying?

Deleted
    gr8 b8 m8, I r8 8/8

BTW I totally feel you mon, can't complete a single world quest without tripping over seven portals, all of them to Darnassus