Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Wotlk was great as a whole, but people tends to forget how shitty the first tier of raiding was.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    wotlk really was all about ulduar and looooooong ICC preparations.
    naxxramas and tournament were an absolutely shiet tier filler raids.

I started playing at the end of WotLK so I'm not going to include it.

1. Cataclysm : It just felt good. I liked the scattered zones, the revamp, the phasing, it was just nice.
    2. MoP : If it wasn't for the Klaxxi MoP would be first. I hate the Klaxxi. Other than that great expansion with lots of interesting themes. Sadly I'm a Garrosh fanboy so I was disappointed by how they dealt with him.
    3. Legion : It's been nice so far. It felt kind of "smallish" but very high quality. Loved the quests and the zones. Not a fan of artificial content like world quests and missions.
    4. WoD : Sometimes while discussing lore with friends we almost forget that this expansion even happened. It was just bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    1)WotLK
    2)TBC
    3)Legion
    4)Cata
    5)Mop / WoD

Quote Originally Posted by SHUMEGGAH View Post
    You know it's funny, but looking back on the many threads of "worst expansions" and what not, I've come down to the conclusion that each successive expansion from vanilla WoW has been marginally better than the previous.

My reasoning? Each expansion increases max character level ---> leveling to new max level through new, added content ---> experiencing new abilities/spells at max level ---> doing new dungeons/raids.

Now you can argue that some expansions have less fun abilities/spells that were added, or some expansions had boring new dungeons/raids compared to others, but each expansion after the former still added on to the game. Making it better!

Hooray for magnificent, cohesive and nice gaming community!
    I agree that the game has gotten better with each expansion and each expansion has it's draws and setbacks usually dealing with personal preferences for story or changes. That being said, Legion>MoP>Cata>Vanilla>WoD>TBC>WotLK. Rankings go by how much fun I have had in each expansion, Has nothing to do with story, amount of content or anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by The Iron Fist View Post
    Only people who rate Cata as bad did one of three things:

(1) They were Wrath babies who didn't like things being harder
    (2) They only remember or played during Dragon Soul
    (3) They never actually played during Cata and are basing their opinions off of the negative hype of others

Legion>Cata>TBC>Vanilla>WotLK>Diablo 3>MoP>Hello Kitty Online>WoD
    Actually, no - the reason why I rate Cata as bad is because of the lack of content. The first raid tier was one of the best ever, and the launch 5 mans were amazing. However, they ended up neutering the 5 mans almost immediately due to player backlash, and they became irrelevant after a couple of months. Firelands had one of the greatest heroic bosses ever, but the rest of the instance was too short. Dragon Soul was a pants on head terrible final raid. Outside of that, there was nothing to do, and very little patch content added (rehashing ZA/ZG doesn't count; all we really got was the Molten Front daily quest line).

The decision to toss in 4 new zones spread all over the world requiring portals to access them instead of making a new continent was also a terrible mistake. A big part of the experience of other expansions was always the new continent and hanging around in Shattrath/Dalaran/Shrine during down time. Cata stripped that experience out and every one just AFKed in Org and Stormwind 24/7 (even moreso than most expansions because there was so little to do).

10+ Year Old Account
    So we're just ranking our own order now right? That feels like what this is now:

1) Wrath - This was when my guild from Vanilla finally got to really start experiencing the content. We were a casual 10-15 man group that was able to do a lot of Karazhan and Zul'Aman in BC but never really able to do anything else. Some of us pugged into 25 man stuff but we really enjoyed the 10-15 people that we had and didn't want to mess with that dynamic. Plus as someone who played WC3...I mean it was the Lich King. That was HUGE to me. And let's not forget sweet, sweet Ulduar.

2) MoP - Upon release...this was not immediately in my top picks. Too many dailies I thought at the time. I got to do some Heroic raiding though for that first tier which was pretty fun. We got Realm second on Sha of Fear and it was nice to feel that sense of accomplishment. Unfortunately I missed out on ToT due to Graduate School but when I came back halfway through the SoO drag I had a good amount of content to do still. Timeless Isle was just...fun! I also really loved the aesthetic. I know a lot of people thought "Lol Pandas" but I enjoyed the setting and the story that emphasized WE caused all the trouble and chaos this time around. Had we not arrived Pandaria would have been a better place. That's was cool.

3) Legion - I've enjoyed the story and the artifact system. It's nice to finally see a lot of actual story happening inside the game instead of just "raid stories" where all of the information is only in the raids. It feels like things are really happening. I actually really enjoy WQs which is odd as I HATE daily quests. Perhaps it's the Emissary system so I don't feel as pressured to do it day in and day out. The only things that have caused me some serious grief are the Mission Tables and Legendaries. My Shaman has two legendaries. They are both bad...I have the shoes that increase the speed my Spirit Wolves come off cooldown (fun fact - I'm a Resto Shaman normally) and Sephuz' Secret which I got back when it REALLY sucked about 1 month into the expansion.

4) TBC - Looking back I just don't think this expansion was as good as I thought at the time. There was a lot of grind and trying to raid anything meant you had to push through all the different raids and get geared (which while not a bad idea would make more sense with some of the catch-up mechanics that are in place today). Dungeons however were really fun. I am one of the few people who probably misses CC. As a shaman player I was a little upset we finally got Hex once it was irrelevant.

5) Vanilla - Was still leveling at the time. It was good but man looking back on it makes you realize how far the game has come.

6) Cata - Well...I actually liked the hard dungeons and then they nerfed them. So that was unfun. I wasn't really a fan of the expansion theme either. I never felt threatened by Deathwing - he was really just annoying when he'd fly over my zone. The change to the whole world was REALLY cool however. Let's not even talk about raid content. The less we say about Dragon Soul the better. This was when my guild from Vanilla broke up which also gave me a bit of an issue in finding my place again. Lots of reasons I dislike this one.

7) WoD - Do I even need reasons? The only thing I liked from WoD was the questing content and leveling up. Once I hit 100 I actually remember thinking "Wait....now what?"

These kinds of threads are super pointless. Super pointless. But fun in a way, we all have lists, it's interesting to read them, especially when they have reasons included. Here's mine:

1. TBC : for me this was the best expansion. Might be because I wanted to play shadow priest back then, and while they were melting faces left and right in PvP they were not really useful in PvE. I genuinely liked the hot mess that were the attunements. It gave end game structure. Outland is, still, the best continent we ever got in my opinion. The expansion changed SO MUCH compared to most later expansions. It made almost every bad aspect of vanilla better. It wasn't perfect though, a lot of systems would get much better in later expansion. Lack of dual spec especially was still bad.

2. Legion and Mists : it's difficult these expansions both had wonderful new systems and ideas included, but completely failed in other areas. Mists dungeons were absolutely dire, perhaps the worst we've ever had in the game. They were horrible facerolls from the very beginning, and I hated that, because I love dungeons. Simultaneously, the classes were really good, the zones were exceptional, raids were great for the most part etc. The patch cycles for both these expansions were great (mists had a horrible drought at the end though), especially with mists patches being all quite experimental. Legion has a lot to love in it, especially the new dungeon system. I also like artifact systems minus the obsession of making them never-ending grinds. Still, bringing back the old talent system in a new form was a great damn idea. Titanforging is the dumbest system, at least taken to the level it is here, and the way we get legendaries is bad. I still like them as another talent system, but the way they are gated and 100% random is just bad.

3. Classic I guess : It was the most fun period of WoW with its endless exploration and strangeness and strong community, yet at the same time it was absolutely dire. The game was riddled with half-baked design ideas that didn't work. The classes were just bad with so few specs being viable. Raids were really bad in the beginning, but got a lot better from BWL onwards. It's really hard to evaluate, since Blizzard's staggering ambition and morbid inexperience both show so clearly in classic.

4. Wrath : I liked the leveling, the zones, the DK. This expansion being so low in the list makes me realize that most WoW expansions have been really good. The homogenization of classes that has riddled the game started here, though, and a lot of systems that have been mostly detrimental to the game were introduced in Wrath. The first tier of raids was really bad for anyone who raided in TBC and Classic, and that was a damn shame. Ulduar was brilliant but cut short because of Trial of the Crusader, which was, again, bad. It's like if Gruul's Lair had been, for months, the entire end-game of TBC but with a lot of different difficulties.

5. Cata and WoD : can't really decide between them, the reasons they were bad are quite different. Cata content was better and there was a lot more of it than in WoD, but if Wrath started introducing poorly thought-out systems that were bad for the game in the long run then Cata took it to a whole new level. And I'm not really only talking about LFR which, as we have it now, is completely fine in my books. Cata introduced the Cesspool guilds into the game devastating the social nature of it. In my mind it showed a disregard and even a lack of understanding about what made the game good in the first place. Also, it was rushed, a lot of content was cut, a lot of it was released in a non-optimal state, and it does show. Old world redesign is a hit and miss, I find it odd and jarring that Deathwing is still such a large part of so many leveling zones. WoD on the other hand was the king of cut content. I think they had good ideas, a lot of them, and I think they were actively trying to correct some of the mistakes they had made earlier. What we had was decent, even good, there just was nowhere near enough of it. Tanaan was horrible because it was sparse, repeatable content we had to play for what seemed like forever. Garrisons were a genuinely good idea that just didn't end up working which, I think, had also a lot to do with them not having enough time to develop them. WoD was meant to last only a year, and it should have, it didn't have enough quality content for even that time.

whelp, that turned out to be long.

Deleted
    Sadly the order would be the same as the dates they came out so progressively worse with tbc as best. And of course removing WOD completely.

Anyone who is still subbed to legion is going to have an inflated opinion of it.

1. MoP
    2. Wrath
    3. TBC
    4. Cata
    5. Vanilla
    6. WoD
    7. Legion

7+ Year Old Account
    the WoD problem was blizz putting in the dumpster 90% of his content, this is the Devs fault, the expansion had everything be good, but they stop in the beginning to start legion who have more content but its shit anyway

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc7 View Post
    4. Wrath : I liked the leveling, the zones, the DK. This expansion being so low in the list makes me realize that most WoW expansions have been really good. The homogenization of classes that has riddled the game started here, though, and a lot of systems that have been mostly detrimental to the game were introduced in Wrath. The first tier of raids was really bad for anyone who raided in TBC and Classic, and that was a damn shame. Ulduar was brilliant but cut short because of Trial of the Crusader, which was, again, bad. It's like if Gruul's Lair had been, for months, the entire end-game of TBC but with a lot of different difficulties.
    God the fact they released Trial so soon bothers me to this day. They finally had a really nice raid everyone liked and they decided to push content out TOO fast for like one time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarocket View Post
    God the fact they released Trial so soon bothers me to this day. They finally had a really nice raid everyone liked and they decided to push content out TOO fast for like one time.
    Exactly. And if they wanted to push it out that soon, maybe have it NOT drop loot that makes the actually cool raid that people were still happily progressing through mostly trivial. Think Trial of Valor in Legion.

What a great thread.

No content, just baiting arguments.

0/10

Deleted
    You skipped all the content.

-Ion-

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenstyle View Post
    From best to worst

1.Burning Crusade
    2.Mist of Pandaria
    3.Wrath of the lich king
    4.Classic
    5.Cataclysm
    6.Warlords of Draenor
    7.Legion

Legion is just the worst thing ever made. Makes Diablo 3 look good. And i guess that was the intent?
    Plus with Ion at the helm what could go wrong?
    I agree Legion is the worst.
    Legion is the worst expansion
    BFA=Blizzard Failed Again
    https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comment..._google_trend/