New to Resto Shaman, have a question about Cloudburst Totem.

Hello fellow resto shammys!

Many years ago I was a resto shaman (during SoO) and then went to resto druid during WoD and first half of legion. Right now my main is a MW but I miss my shammy and was thinking of going back to her as my main for Antorus.

Now heres my question, Every guide I have read says I need to "feed the cloudburst totem" but I have no idea how to do that? One guide said just drop it on cd and forget about it but I want to play it correctly. If someone could help me (and give some examples) on how i need to properly use it I would be grateful for the help!

Thanks

Deleted
    If you time it properly and combine with multiple CDs (like on KJ mythic) you can pull some insane 30+ million bursts.

But for most other fights all I do is only play around Gift of the Queen CD and AG. Make sure you have cloudburst when you are going to use your GotQ. Also get some proper weakaura that shows you the duration. You generally want to use AG with around ~8 seconds left of cloudburst so you get the CB heals to proc the AG heals too. Also keep in mind that leggo legs work and feed the totem.

Rest is just practice and progressing on the boss to find best timings for yourself. As for ToS goes I find CB timing to be very important on fights like Mistress, Maiden and extremely powerful on KJ. Id say you can just use on cd and forget on everything but KJ.

As an errata to this good article, the "Quick charge strategy" is now irrelevant. The heal clipping has been removed in a patch since then.