Demonology using Affliction gear for HM Rag.

Basically, I'm trying to convince our Affliction Warlock to change specs to Demonology for heroic rag, as we're still trying to progress through seeds, and from what I understand Demonology has far better AoE than Affliction. I also understand that Demonology is the spec to go, for Phase 3 burn to push one meteor.

My question is, Our Warlock is in affliction gear (or so he says), and he has the legendary; will it still be a good idea for him to switch specs to demonology for Heroic Rag to help with seeds and P3?

:>
    Druid | UI | Youtube
    R1 & 14x Glad PvPer
    Honestly US 2nd / Ally World 1st

If you guys are struggling with the Seed phase with him as affliction, then him being affliction isn't the problem. While the burst of Demo is good for P3, affliction does just fine there as well provided you have other classes that can do well during that phase.

Sig made by Shyama. Click sig for current Warlock armory.

Quote Originally Posted by gynshon View Post
    If you guys are struggling with the Seed phase with him as affliction, then him being affliction isn't the problem. While the burst of Demo is good for P3, affliction does just fine there as well provided you have other classes that can do well during that phase.
    mhm, we've got a pretty stacked aoe lineup, but still struggling.. Spriest, Boomkin, Marks hunter, Arc mage :S...
    Druid | UI | Youtube
    R1 & 14x Glad PvPer

15+ Year Old Account
    The only real difference between affliction and demonology gear is having haste VS mastery

The problem with mastery is that it's pretty useless when he isn't in his metamorphosis, making the haste arguably better.
    If you are strungling in phase 3 than mastery is definatly the way to go, since again it works during meta, which will be a huge part of phase 3.

[Guessing 10m]

If you have spriest, boomy, mm hunt, you shouldn't be having issues with the seeds there - demo won't outperform boomy or mm played correctly, although they will do more than non-aoe burstable dps. Sounts more like you aren't handling them correctly, rather than something you need to fix by having your lock run demo. The rag 10h thread on maintankadin has a decent discussion of how to handle seeds. (Mostly having a high melee-range aoe class spawn their own seed away from the pack, then run in to aoe the main pack safely - demo fits this bill, but it also boosts arcane mages damage to a similar level overall, feral druid can also pull this off well, etc).

I would assume you also have an ele though? If you don't have 10% sp covered, that is another issue.
    Last edited by rijn dael; 2011-10-18 at 12:10 AM.

Deleted
    With Legendary, the warlock should be able to burst as good as an demonoligy without it.
    If you are safe with the Molten Elementals and get into phase 4 with 2 Meteors without problem, then let him go affliction, it is overall better for the fight.
    Demo is just considered because the felguard is just OP by AoE-ing the Adds in p2 with Felstorm and because of insane Burst in p3 but overall, the Damage of demo will lack against an affliction with legendary.

Defines, tell Dots Jmickey said stop being a noob and to go demo, and say Hi to Jack for me.

No elemental shaman. I 'spose if we've got a Spriest, Boomkin and Arcane mage; the extra spell power would be better than just a personal DPS increase? We've probably got our seed strategy wrong, we're going from a stack to a loose-spread... maybe deeps just isn't good enough.
    Druid | UI | Youtube
    R1 & 14x Glad PvPer

Deleted
    Shouldn't you be going from a loose-spread to a stack rather then the other way around? Much easier with the dps classes that you mention having to do more AoE when stacked up no?

Jmickey when did you go to Crimson? I brought my shaman back to Blackrock seeing as how I wasn't going to be able to meet the raid times ever.

Sig made by Shyama. Click sig for current Warlock armory.

10+ Year Old Account
    Demonology AoE is only good when we are in metamorphosis. Besides, someone with the Legendary should know that he should have two sets of gear, Affliction/Destro (they follow same reforge) and a Demonology set. Considering he has legendary, that would mean you guys have been clearing content for a very long, im fair sure he would have a demo set saved up by now, unless you guys just DE everything, which is the wrong thing to do.

Anyway, Demo and Affliction AoE isnt that much different, only good for Demo is in meta, otherwise SoC is pretty good AoE for a fight like H Rag. Tell him to try Demo, probably cost him like 200g to reforge, no biggy, especially for progression...

demo can solo 1st and 3rd seed on his own (10men)
    i leave felguard on place where seeds spawn then use felstorm that makes them down all to 50-70 proc then they came to melee range on 1 a 3rd seeds i have demon form and on 2nd our holy paly gives me HoP and help from others
    affli is good on hc rag for movment
    but demo is superior in p3 burst with doomguard
    When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all ... Futurama-Godfellas

http://bossblueprint.com/world-of-wa...?img=xmdad1iXQ

This is what we do, raid stacks on Green, our warrior + demo lock stand on Star, once seeds come, everyone moves to Diamond, once Seed Explosion happens the lock can portal into the middle of them and Hellfire. Repeat on other side.

Your lock as demo will give you much better AoE + burst for Phase3 on Rag heroic, if you're going to try and push one meteor I suggest you get him to go Demo. And the loss in p4 compared to Affi i'm sure will be made up by having 10% SP buff in the raid for the other casters.

If Seeds aren't dead before they get to your raid, just spread a little bit so they don't get the buff from being close to one another and pick them off one at a time, you should have them all between 0-30% by the time they're reaching the raid.
    Last edited by Brael; 2011-10-18 at 03:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kosuko View Post
    The only real difference between affliction and demonology gear is having haste VS mastery

The problem with mastery is that it's pretty useless when he isn't in his metamorphosis, making the haste arguably better.
    If you are strungling in phase 3 than mastery is definatly the way to go, since again it works during meta, which will be a huge part of phase 3.
    mastery also effect demon damage so for seed phase the felguard felstorm will do alot more damage if you stack mastery
    as well as huge burst doom guard in p3

Quote Originally Posted by Kivimetsan View Post
    Demonology AoE is only good when we are in metamorphosis.
    Erm what? Not for Heroic Rag. Felstorm alone without any other shenanigans like Shadowflame/Hellfire does more than what some other classes can do with all their shenanigans combined. A well-positioned Felstorm is put shortly, AMAZING for seeds.

Also SoC is nothing compared to Felstorm for seeds. Can't cast SoC on the move so you only get like 1 cast off before you have to move. Soulburn'd SoC still can't compare to a Felstorm, hands down.
    Last edited by clavarnway; 2011-10-18 at 08:48 AM.
    BigCrits.com - real people conquering a virtual world!

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you don't have the 10% sp buff, just tell him to go demo. He might do a little less overall dps but it's easily compensated by the sp buff. Felstorm is much better than soulburned soc for the seeds, unless you lack aoe due to raid comp etc. and don't do it the Paragon way. He will do more dps in p3 as demo, which is the critical dps burn, thus helping you progress faster when you get there. There is a huge difference between making it to p4 with 1 or 2 meteors, at least in 10 man. Also affliction and demo use pretty much the same set of gear, just with different reforges. It costs like 200g to reforge and with addons such as reforgelite you just press 1 button to do it.

The only difference between affliction and demo gear is equipping Moonwell Chalice and reforging, which can be done easily with set profiles in a reforge addon. Sounds more like he just doesn't want to play demo.

The so called Affliction gear can easly be reforged to mastery