10+ Year Old Account

Cool Post Your 'Get Fit' Recipes!

Hello, post your favorite healthy recipes. If possible, please include: ingredients, directions, and nutrition.

I'll start it out:

Chicken Fricassee with Tarragon
    Serves 4
    INGREDIENTS:
    3 tsp safflower oil, divided
    1 leek, trimmed and sliced
    8 oz sliced white mushrooms
    Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour or white whole-wheat flour
    4 4-oz boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    1 1/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
    3 tbsp chopped fresh tarragon, divided
    1 tsp white wine vinegar or lemon juice

INSTRUCTIONS:
    Heat 1 tsp oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet on medium-high. Add leek and mushrooms, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid released from vegetables has evaporated. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add garlic and cook until mushrooms are lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat, transfer mixture to a bowl and set aside. Wipe skillet with paper towel.
    Add flour to a shallow bowl or pie plate. Pat chicken dry with paper towel and season both sides with salt and pepper. Add remaining 2 tsp oil to skillet and heat on medium-high. Thoroughly coat chicken breasts with flour and place directly in skillet. Cook until lightly browned, about 3 minutes per side, then add broth and 2 tbsp tarragon. When liquid bubbles, reduce heat and simmer for 3 minutes. Turn chicken and simmer until cooked through, 3 to 4 more minutes. Transfer chicken to each of 4 plates.
    With broth still simmering, return mushroom mixture to skillet. Simmer for 2 to 3 minutes to allow flavors to meld. Stir in vinegar and remove skillet from heat. Spoon mushroom mixture and broth over chicken breasts, dividing evenly. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tbsp tarragon and serve.

NUTRITION:
    (1 chicken breast and 1/2 cup mushroom mixture): Calories: 225, Total Fat: 6 g, Sat. Fat: 1 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 3 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1 g, Carbs: 12 g, Fiber: 2 g, Sugars: 2 g, Protein: 31 g, Sodium: 134 mg, Cholesterol: 66 mg

And for dessert:

Molten Lava Fudge Cakes
    Serves 4
    INGREDIENTS:
    Olive oil cooking spray
    1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
    1/3 cup Sucanat
    3 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
    3 tbsp olive oil
    1 egg
    1 egg white
    1/2 cup white whole-wheat flour
    1 tsp pure vanilla extract
    Orange or pear slices, for garnish (optional)

INSTRUCTIONS:
    Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly spray 4 4-oz custard cups or small ramekins with cooking spray.
    In a medium bowl, combine cocoa powder and Sucanat; whisk in applesauce and oil.
    In a small bowl, lightly whisk egg and egg white and add to cocoa mixture, whisking until smooth.
    Stir in flour and vanilla until flour is combined completely – do not over mix. Divide mixture evenly among prepared custard cups, place on a baking sheet and bake for 9 minutes. Centers should be soft but sides firm. Invert cups onto serving plates; let stand a few minutes before removing cups. Garnish each cake with fruit slices, if desired, and serve warm.

NUTRITION:
    Nutrients per 4 oz cake: Calories: 250, Total Fat: 13 g, Sat. Fat: 2.5 g, Carbs: 32 g, Fiber: 5 g, Sugars: 17 g, Protein: 6 g, Sodium: 40 mg, Cholesterol: 32 mg

Edit:
    Just a quick addition, while a Molten Fudge Cake may not seem like a "healthy" recipe, this version sure beats it's Betty Crocker (or other similar baking aisle brand) cake mix counterpart coming in at about 1/2 the calories and fat, yet more than doubling the fiber content. (Source: http://www.calories-nutrition.buddys...en-lava-cakes/ )

Your turn!
    Last edited by Majik8ball; 2011-10-18 at 02:07 AM. Reason: Added a footnote to the cake recipe.
    "Can you truly help someone so intent on being stupid?"
    - Hawke

I think I'll try that chicken recipe minus the flour and substitute the oil for coconut oil. Thanks for sharing!
    Lava cake won't be finding its way into my meal plan though, hehe.

One of my favorites is this for I am a low carb girl you see The dip in the recipe is O.K; but I'm not a huge fan of blue cheese so I normally just make my own southwest ranch dip. Mind you I'm a freakazoid about where my meat comes from so I make sure I get the chicken wings from free range chicken. Furthermore, I'm also a freakazoid about my sour cream and butter and make sure they are derived from grass-fed cows. I'm a freakazoid about lots of things. Oh, and I am well aware this meal is *gasp* veggie-less - but no fear, I make sure to get plenty of those elsewhere.
    Last edited by handsdown; 2011-10-20 at 04:09 AM.
    you fill my lungs with sweetness & you fill my head with you.

Quote Originally Posted by handsdown View Post
    I'm a freakazoid about lots of things. Oh, and I am well aware this meal is *gasp* veggie-less - but no fear, I make sure to get plenty of those elsewhere.
    I'm a freakazoid about... wait, what?

Do I need to post my Thai-style soup again? I'll think of a few more that I consider both healthy and awesome.

Post everything you have, belf.
    Edit: I didn't know if you typed in all caps it automatically goes down to lower-case, lol

I'm in the process of moving + Blizzcon and such. But I promise I'll post recipes once things get back to normal. People need to see how easy/delicious clean eating really is.

Ok, this one again for now.

Tomyum
    (as decided in another thread) -- a Thai-style soup

Please note that it's not 100% authentic, as I have to work with what I can get in the US. It's incredibly healthy and I even give a vegan option. Serves about 4 in these proportions.

* 6 cups (1.5 liters) high quality chicken stock (make your own for best results, or I like the Kosher chicken stock from Whole Foods; or use seafood stock; or vegetable stock plus the tofu option for something vegan).
    * 1-2 stalks lemon grass, outer greens removed, chopped into large pieces
    * 3 medium kaffir lime leaves (or more if you want)
    * 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
    * 2 thai bird chilies, minced (or use serrano or jalapeno for milder; more or less to taste; remove seeds and ribs for most mild).
    * A big double handful of sliced mushrooms, preferably fresh shitake, but cremini is fine (usually sold as baby bella in the US).
    * 1 pound medium shrimp, heads, shells, and tails removed (or substitute half as much extra-firm tofu by weight, chopped into cubes)
    * 3 TBSP fish sauce.
    * Juice from 1 lime
    * Fresh cilantro, chopped
    * Large pinch of palm sugar (or brown sugar if you can't get palm sugar)
    * Vegetables of your choice
    * Optional: coconut milk

1. Boil the stock. Make a bouquet garni with the lemon grass and lime leaves (cheesecloth works well, otherwise tie them together with some string) and put that in. Add the garlic, chilies. Reduce to a simmer. Let it go 5 minutes or so.

2. At this point, start adding the mushrooms and other vegetables in the order of how long they take to cook. For example, add some daikon raddish, then some mushrooms, then some cherry tomatoes. Once the vegetables are nearly done add the shrimp or tofu. Let it go until the veggies cook, just a few minutes.

3. Delicate part. Add the fish sauce, lime juice. Then add the sugar but taste before doing this; if too (spicy) hot, more sugar.. if too flat, more lime... if it needs more salt, more fish sauce... if it needs more heat, use your favorite hot sauce. And, if you want to ruin the healthiness of the soup, add about 1/2 cup coconut milk. Let simmer about 30 seconds.

4. Serve immediately with fresh cilantro on top, and perhaps lime wedges on the side. It should be a perfect balance of sweet, sour, salty, savory, and spicy (the S^5). And most people should feel full after a single bowl.

I don't have nutrition information, but I know it's very low calorie and very low fat, especially if you omit the coconut milk.

What the heck are kaffir lime leaves? @.@
    But anything with coconut milk is good in my book <3
    I need to get as many calories in a meal as I can handle (need to get 2,500-2,600 a day). So the fattier the better for me please :P
    Last edited by handsdown; 2011-10-20 at 02:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by handsdown View Post
    What the heck are kaffir lime leaves? @.@
    Literally just leaves from a kaffir lime plant. If you have a decent asian market nearby, should be available. Otherwise I think Whole Foods usually has them. Or you can order online. They save in the freezer for a long time if you have to buy more than you need.

i immediately regret coming to this thread... lol.

btw tomyum made me want to throw up, maybe it`s because i`m not a fan of sea food and all, but I am part thai and that just made me sick :P

Quote Originally Posted by La View Post
    i immediately regret coming to this thread... lol.

btw tomyum made me want to throw up, maybe it`s because i`m not a fan of sea food and all, but I am part thai and that just made me sick :P
    That's one way to keep your calorie count down... (Sorry).

I'll post some things that don't involve seafood later. Have to work for a while now though.

---------- Post added 2011-10-20 at 10:42 PM ----------

Alright, I said I'd do more. And I promised it wouldn't have seafood. I apologize to handsdown, as this doesn't have much fat, really. So, here's a steak salad. (note, you can do this with chicken, pork, lamb, tofu or anything else if you prefer; I'm just not including the cooking methods for those).

Beef. People seem to think it's less healthy than other meats but that's not really true. Buy grass-fed, hormone and antibiotic-free beef, and you're getting a great source of omega-3, B12, iron, and protein. Just keep your portion sizes reasonable. Not all beef is equal though, so let's go with an incredibly lean and flavorful cut: the flank steak.

You'll read all kinds of nonsense about flank steaks, about how they have to be marinated for 24 hours blah blah. Not true. Just take a little care with the prep, cooking, and slicing.

Recipe:
    1 flank steak (usually 1.5-2 pounds)
    Green leafy vegetables of your choice (enough to serve 4-6)
    Other vegetables of your choice (cucumbers, carrots, mushrooms, whatever), sliced
    Salad dressing of your choice (I suggest a dijon vinaigrette for this)
    Kosher salt
    Pepper
    Olive oil

1. Prep the flank steak. Trim any exterior fat, then give both sides a moderate coating of salt and pepper. Let sit at room temperature about 20 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, prep your vegatables and toss with the greens. Heat a grill or large pan to medium high. Depending which, either brush the grill grate with olive oil or give the pan a light coating with the oil.

3. Cook the steak. Pat both sides dry with a paper towel, then put straight onto the grill/pan. On my equipment it needs about 4 minutes on each side at medium high heat for medium rare (I would not suggest cooking flank steak beyond this). Your equipment may vary. After cooking both sides, remove the steak from the grill/pan and let rest about 5 minutes.

4. Now you have options. The salad is fine with hot steak, room temperature steak, or cold steak. Regardless, slice the flank steak in half the long way (with the grain). Then slice each half the short way (against the grain) with a 45 degree bias (if you've seen the recent Taco Bell commercial, guiding the knife with a spatula works well). Make the slices as thin as possible. Sharp knives are important here. Sprinkle the slices with a bit more salt and pepper.

5. Toss the greens and vegetables with your dressing (don't use too much dressing... just enough to lightly coat the produce). Plate, and top with the steak. Serve with a slice or two of good bread.

I don't have nutrition info for this, as usual.
    Last edited by belfpala; 2011-10-20 at 10:43 PM.

Deleted
    A lot of vegetables, no sugar, lot of jogging and 20 phounds less

Yessss! I've actually wanted a flank steak recipe ^_^
    I'm actually going to be changing up my diet a little for the next 4 weeks; and this recipe works
    Last edited by handsdown; 2011-10-22 at 09:33 PM.

I have a metabolic cooking guide i refer to for most of my recipes. Looks like maybe a few others have the same cook book. But here's one i like.

Lemon Mustard Herb Chicken

CALORIES: 122
    PROTEIN : 26g
    CARBS : 0g
    FAT : 2g

• 4 boneless, skinless, chicken
    breasts (4oz each)
    • 1/3 cup lemon juice
    • 1/3 cup Dijon mustard
    • 1 tablespoon sage
    • 1 tablespoon dried thyme
    • 3 cloves garlic, crushed
    • 2 scallions

1. Mix together the lemon juice, mustard, sage, thyme, and garlic.
    2. Put the chicken breasts on a plate.
    3. Spread this mixture over both sides and let it sit for 10 minutes.
    4. Coat a large skillet with cooking spray and cook chicken breasts
    for 5 minutes each side. Use half the mixture to cook and the
    other half to coat as it cooks.
    5. Slice up the scallions, including the crisp part of the green and
    scatter the scallions over it before serving

How to Make Almond Milk

From www . transferofhealth . com
    Almond milk naturally contains fewer calories than plain soy or skim milk, and has higher amounts of calcium, vitamin E, vitamin D, vitamin A. Almond milk is our absolute favorite dairy replacement beverage, and is fantastic in lattes.
    How to Make Almond Milk
    Ingredients
    16 oz pure water
    3/4 Cup Dry Almonds
    2-4 Dates (or 1 Tbsp Honey)
    Soak almonds in a bowl or cup overnight (makes about 1 cup soaked almonds). Pour out soaking water and place almonds, half of pure water, and dates (or honey) in Blender. Blend on high for 30 seconds.
    Add remaining 8 oz of pure water and blend for another 30 seconds.
    Over a large bowl, pour contents of blender into nut milk bag and milk/massage material so that the bowl fills up with your freshly made and strained almond milk.
    Notes: Blending first with only half the water is a great way to ensure your almonds are well blended.
    TIP: Spread almond meal onto sheet on dehydrator tray to dry, grind in coffee grinder, and use as almond meal.
    Makes 18 ounces of raw, sprouted almond milk and 1.15 ounces almond flour.

Cost Savings
    Store Bought Almond Milk: The least expensive almond milk we can find is a 32 ounce of “natural” (although contains ingredients that we don’t have in our kitchen) almond milk for $2 ($.06 per ounce). Cost for 18 Ounces: $1.13
    Home Made Raw Almond Milk: The least expensive “raw” almonds we can find is $4.39 per pound ($0.30 per ounce). 3/4 cup is about 3.915 ounces. Almond cost: $1.18 PLUS you’ll yield about 1.15 ounces almond flour. A bag of Bob’s Red Mill almond meal is about $0.58 per ounce. Value of Almond Flour: $0.67. Net Cost: $0.52!
    In addition to saving money, you can control the sweetener, ingredients, whether or not you use organic, and it is sprouted – “awakening” the enzymes in the almonds, making them more nutritious, easier to digest, and tastier.
    Recipe adapted from Sunfood.com. It’s how we make it at our house!

10+ Year Old Account
    Just tried a new recipe: Thai Chicken Stir Fry
    Serves 4
    INGREDIENTS:
    1 1/4-1 1/2 pound piece of flank steak
    1/2 cup high temperature oil, such as peanut, canola or safflower oil, plus 2 tablespoons, divided
    2 shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
    3 tablespoons cornstarch
    Salt
    1 pound whole grain or whole wheat spaghetti
    6 ounces or 1/3 pound shiitake mushrooms
    1 red bell pepper
    1 red hot chili pepper
    3-4 cloves garlic, grated or chopped
    4-5 scallions, thinly sliced on an angle
    3 tablespoons curry paste, mild to medium heat, such as Patak's brand
    3 tablespoons fish sauce
    2 cups chicken stock
    1 cup shelled frozen edamame, thawed
    1 cup basil leaves, thinly sliced or torn, loosely packed
    Zest and juice of 1 lime
    Freshly ground black pepper

INSTRUCTIONS:
    Put the flank steak in the freezer for a few minutes to aid in thinly slicing it safely.

Heat 1/2 cup oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Dredge the shallot slices in the cornstarch and shake off any excess. Add the shallots into the heated oil and remove them to a paper towel-lined plate when they become a light golden-brown color.

Bring a large pot of water to a boil over medium heat. Salt the water and add the pasta. Cook to al dente.

While the pasta water comes to a boil, stem and thinly slice the mushrooms and seed and thinly slice the sweet and hot peppers.

Remove the meat from the freezer and thinly slice it into 1/4-inch-wide by 2-inch-long pieces.

Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add the beef and cook in a single layer for 2-3 minutes. Turn the meat over and add the shiitakes, sweet and hot peppers, garlic and scallions. Stir-fry for 2-3 minutes, then add the curry paste, fish sauce and stock and bring to a boil. Add in the edamame and cook for 1 minute to heat through, then add the basil.

Drain the pasta and place into a large serving bowl. Add the beef mixture and the lime zest and juice. Toss vigorously and season with some black pepper, to taste. Garnish with the fried shallots sprinkled on top.

Sorry, this isn't my recipe so I don't have the exact nutrition on it.
    "Can you truly help someone so intent on being stupid?"
    - Hawke

Working like a dog 12 hours a day and drinking beer worked for me most of my life.

My fit foods are pretty much eggs, fish, water, veggies, chicken, and fruits. Then I just run a lot. I don't like taking too much time with cooking... It's probably because I'm a male teenager.

Magic milk- 1.5 cups of milk 2 tbsp or your favorite chocolate milk mix and 1 cup of concentrated vinegar.
    You will see all the extra pounds you have in the toilet! (Sorry :3)

10+ Year Old Account
    Revitalizing drink, ingredients: water.

How to:

Pour it into a glas.
    Vol'jin fanboy