Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Can our Mage be better?

I recently started looking at our mage. He's next in line for the legendary and I recently realized that his reforging is a bit off. Everywhere I've read, Mastery is the ideal stat for Mages. He's been our main Mage for a long time now and he's a very good player. He always does his job right and I know I can count on him in regards to boss mechanics. However, I feel that his DPS can be better.

How do you guys recommend he reforges and gear?

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...J%c3%bc/simple

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-6d...rce/?enc=kills

On Shannox, he's on Rageface Duty.

10+ Year Old Account
    LOL, crit is the worst stat.. yet its what hes reforging for, do yourself a favor and find a new mage.

Keep it constructive and keep the flames down.
    Last edited by Swizzle; 2011-10-18 at 04:39 AM.

His dps looks fine to me, but he does need to do a lot of reforging. Almost all of his gear is reforged wrong or not at all. Point him towards www.askmrrobot.com I'm sure he would see a dps increase if he changes a lot of his reforging.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by elgato View Post
    His dps looks fine to me, but he does need to do a lot of reforging. Almost all of his gear is reforged wrong or not at all. Point him towards www.askmrrobot.com I'm sure he would see a dps increase if he changes a lot of his reforging.
    mr robot is awful for mages, bad advice is bad. Use simcraft.

I understand that Crit isn't ideal but I was hoping for a more constructive answer. Thanks for you input though :|

tell him to download reforgelight from curse. its absoulutely AMAZING for dps

10+ Year Old Account
    Tbh I would kick the rogue and the mage, under 20k isn't very noteworthy..

Keep it constructive and keep the flames down.
    Last edited by Swizzle; 2011-10-18 at 04:39 AM.

Pokemon Friend Code:2406-5530-6363 Ghost Safari! PM me to add you!

Quote Originally Posted by pixul View Post
    mr robot is awful for mages, bad advice is bad. Use simcraft.
    You use both. If you're going to Mr Robot and using the default stat weights, yes it's awful. You run a simcraft session and plug in your own personal weights. All it does at that point is ensure a mathematical increase in reforges while ensuring you're hit capped.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Quote Originally Posted by elgato View Post
    How reliable is Mr. Robot? I have read that it isn't as efficient as it is for other classes. I know his DPS is enough for current content, but can it be better? I mean, should it be better with the gear he currently has?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    You use both. If you're going to Mr Robot and using the default stat weights, yes it's awful. You run a simcraft session and plug in your own personal weights. All it does at that point is ensure a mathematical increase in reforges while ensuring you're hit capped.
    until you realize your stat weights ( esp arcane ) change quite drastically with very small changes, and thus is still not going to be accurate. Trial and Error using simcraft and its reforge plots is the best way.

Quote Originally Posted by Blazefury5 View Post
    Tbh I would kick the rogue and the mage, under 20k isn't very noteworthy..
    I don't think you looked at the boss kills.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciani View Post
    How reliable is Mr. Robot? I have read that it isn't as efficient as it is for other classes. I know his DPS is enough for current content, but can it be better? I mean, should it be better with the gear he currently has?
    it should be drastically better... on baleroc theres no reason he shouldnt be pulling 32k+

edit-- Also he should be fire and going up on alys, will out perform the priest if hes not terrible ( which based on his reforges he prob is ). Other than that his damage is significantly below what it should be on every fight.

LOL, crit is the worst stat.. yet its what hes reforging for, do yourself a favor and find a new mage.
    He has 1 item reforged to crit......

but to answer the OP, yeah he could be reforged better. A lot of that crit that isn't reforged could go to haste or mastery.
    Last edited by Kenasan; 2011-10-18 at 04:59 AM.

it should be drastically better... on baleroc theres no reason he shouldnt be pulling 32k+

edit-- Also he should be fire and going up on alys, will out perform the priest if hes not terrible ( which based on his reforges he prob is ). Other than that his damage is significantly below what it should be on every fight.
    Thank you. Is it mainly the reforging that's a problem? I'm assuming mastery is better because during a mage's conservation phase a mage is usually at 85-95% mana?

until you realize your stat weights ( esp arcane ) change quite drastically with very small changes, and thus is still not going to be accurate. Trial and Error using simcraft and its reforge plots is the best way.
    I would wager that the Mage in question is completely unclear on how to go about doing that. As such, it's easy to do SimC+MrRobot for at least an improvement over what they're doing right now. The weights don't change a whole lot once you've hit a nice equilibrium with haste/mastery, not when you include the margin for error even on a 50k iterations sim. Putting in the soft cap data for haste in MrRobot will automatically factor it out as an option once it has reached that value.

Again, if anything it'd provide an easy way for the Mage in question to see what's up.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Herald of the Titans Kuni Zyrekai's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I recently started looking at our mage. He's next in line for the legendary and I recently realized that his reforging is a bit off. Everywhere I've read, Mastery is the ideal stat for Mages. He's been our main Mage for a long time now and he's a very good player. He always does his job right and I know I can count on him in regards to boss mechanics. However, I feel that his DPS can be better.
    Sadly, no. He seems to be fine for boss mechanics specifically, but... I'm taking a look through your baleroc kill, as that's closest for the ideal arcane fight. As mentioned above, crit is pretty poor for arcane. He should be pulling stats out of crit into others, not out of haste into others.

Baleroc. I see no evocations, period; the spec is a burn and evocate into conserve mode until the CDs come back up. He appears to be using mana shield either after the damage is done or when he won't be taking any, which are wastes of GCDs; all but one of them was a complete waste. This was a 5:49 kill, and wasn't using evocate, but only managed 3 arcane power and 2 presence of minds. These are 1:30 cooldowns. Given he's not using evocation for some reason, he should have been using them on CD. Looking at damage specifically, he only cast flame orb once, when he could have gotten 6. Your entire raid night, he evocated 4 times total.

Please direct him to the sticky at the top of the board on how to play arcane. He clearly doesn't understand the mechanics of the spec, by any stretch of the imagination. The dude's got 6 item levels on me, and VPLC which is a ~1k DPS proc, and I'm beating him silly in terms of damage, as frost. He might be great for boss mechanics, but to be honest, he's a shitty mage. I hope you can convince him to do some homework on the class and get him up to par.

Edit: Throwing the AB debuff graph up with the other picture. I really wish this had a mana graph sometimes, this would be fascinating to tear apart.
    Last edited by Kuni Zyrekai; 2011-10-18 at 05:12 AM.

Its late, but he is def reforging wrong, ime sure someone can explain much better then i can anyways, his gear is 4 item levels higher then mine and he is doing worse damage.
    I do not want to sound rude, but i would seriously consider being finding a new mage, honestly he is being carried, seeing someone like that in a 6/7h guild makes me wonder why i am not in a guild that can heroic rag.
    Last edited by Carlucill; 2011-10-18 at 04:59 AM.

Yeah if he's not evocating he's doing something terribly wrong. Is he using the mana conserve phase for the entire fight or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Kuni Zyrekai View Post
    Sadly, no. He seems to be fine for boss mechanics specifically, but... I'm taking a look through your baleroc kill, as that's closest for the ideal arcane fight. As mentioned above, crit is pretty poor for arcane. He should be pulling stats out of crit into others, not out of haste into others.

Baleroc. I see no evocations, period; the spec is a burn and evocate into conserve mode until the CDs come back up. He appears to be using mana shield either after the damage is done or when he won't be taking any, which are wastes of GCDs; all but one of them was a complete waste. This was a 5:49 kill, and wasn't using evocate, but only managed 3 arcane power and 2 presence of minds. These are 1:30 cooldowns. Given he's not using evocation for some reason, he should have been using them on CD. Looking at damage specifically, he only cast flame orb once, when he could have gotten 6. Your entire raid night, he evocated 4 times total.

Please direct him to the sticky at the top of the board on how to play arcane. He clearly doesn't understand the mechanics of the spec, by any stretch of the imagination. The dude's got 6 item levels on me, and VPLC which is a ~1k DPS proc, and I'm beating him silly in terms of damage, as frost. He might be great for boss mechanics, but to be honest, he's a shitty mage. I hope you can convince him to do some homework on the class and get him up to par.

Edit: Throwing the AB debuff graph up with the other picture. I really wish this had a mana graph sometimes, this would be fascinating to tear apart.
    Thank you so much Kuni. I will talk to him tomorrow

Herald of the Titans Kuni Zyrekai's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thank you so much Kuni. I will talk to him tomorrow
    Glad to help. I hope you can get him up to par, it pains me to see poor mages. We're not exactly a complex class, but this just seems mostly like a homework issue.