Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Help my resto shaman heal Firelands successfully .

I recently joined a guild who is in the beginning stages of firelands. So far we only have shannox and lord rhyolith down, though I seem to be having trouble on beth'tilac. I know part of the reason is my guild, we have a hunter who is dual wielding, unenchanted, ungemmed, non-hitcapped doing 8k dps. I'm usualling healing the lower levels along with a druid, and by the time P2 starts, I'm basically spent on mana.

I can't link my armory yet.. but my shaman's name is Azurai on Eldre'thalas US

Any changes I can do to help this guild?

Without sufficient DPS to handle Spinners, the raid will suffer too much damage to handle. Once we realized that, I was solo-healing downstairs from week 2. Tell your DPS to step up their game, and if that doesn't improve, your guild may have come as far as they could.

Edit: I play holy Paladin, but any healer with sufficient gear can solo heal either level of the encounter.

Well from looking at your armory your gear is kind of all over the place. 1st off get rid of that resil gear. Your spirit is a little on the low side. Both trinkets you are using are pretty low for resto shamans the TB one and the 359 JP one is waay better than either of those. That should give you a good jump on spirit and mana regen. Now as far as your dps goes, call them out! Point out that players aren't gemmed/ench, etc. However, I wouldn't point the finger too hard until you make a few gear changes yourself.

Bringing spinners down in key as well as killing spiderlings before they heal the drone. We have a Shaman solo heal the bottom with pretty much just healing rain and we all stand on it. I heal the top as a disc priest and throw aoe heals when im down. With a R Druid thrown in there, Efflorence of top of healing raid nad Wild Growth on Searing Flame or w/e the AoE is called, you should be golden. Just have ppl stack for spinners, and only have melee go for drones, while ranged stand and blast.

If there is more than one person in your raid as bad as this hunter (not being elitest, just a fact) then you will struggle a lot. I have a friend who is on Rag now, but she and her rag tag guild have been wiping on FL since release, only downing bosses post nerf. They have some people who are like that hunter.

People want to play the game their way, thats fine. But dont invite them to raid if they cant even be bothered with researching their class, or at the LEAST gemming and enchanting their gear. 8k as a hunter is facepalm. They are a class who does some of the most DPS at low gear levels.
    Gold selling site spam is an important part of our eco system.

You see, there are currently to many puppies and kittens on this world.
    Every time a Goldseller spams his advertisement on the mmo-champion site, a puppy dies.
    Every time you ignore these threads and don't report them, a kitten dies.

Beth'tilac is half gear check, half control.

Taunt spinners down asap, have them cleaved along with the drone(s).

Tell your hunter to step up his/her game and solo spiderlings.

If your DPS is low you will need to send at least one DPS up for the first and possibly second Smoldering Devastations - but with the nerfs (was pretty easy before too) you can keep all DPS downstairs for extra control.

I normally heal upstairs on my shammy - but downstairs, identify a central stack point and use Chain Heal / Healing Rain to keep most people up; you'll need to spot heal whoever is handling Spiderlings, ES / RT on the tank, watch out for the Drone spitting all over tank.

edit: yeah, our raid two heals on normal with a discy downstairs and my shammy upstairs... easy when adds are under control.

edit 2: also just looked at your gear - your spirit is low, I would replace your trinkets with Core of Ripeness (JP) and DMC:Tsunami. VP chest and neck will help also.
    Last edited by Ilam; 2011-10-18 at 05:01 AM.
    Ilam - <Gardian> | Wiping with Benefits - Frostmourne US - armory

10+ Year Old Account
    we have a hunter who is dual wielding, unenchanted, ungemmed, non-hitcapped doing 8k dps.
    You should fix your own enchants/gems/spec before commenting on him, but yeah - do tell him to fix his.

Anyway, here's some improvements you can do:

* Chest gem - 20Int/20Spirit is much better than 20 mastery 20 spirit.
    * You're very low on Spirit. Reforge to spirit on all pieces that don't have it already. (Neck for example)
    * Your spec is off. 2/3 improved shields means less mana.
    * Here is a 10 man spec for you *click*
    * Swap glyph of Healing Wave out for Glyph of Stoneclaw Totem. (Gives you a personal CD - plus HW glyph is practically useless.)
    * Get rid of any Resi gear
    * Enchant bracers
    * If you go oom fast I'd also recommend going with a regen trinket with intellect on it, such as Fall of Mortality or DMC: Tsunami (instead of Petrified Pickled Egg)
    * Heartsong isn't a bad enchant for us as it boosts mana tide. Enchant your weapon with that next time (keep PT for now)
    Last edited by Revelations; 2011-10-18 at 05:08 AM.

Enable Recount to show mobs and check if they are getting healed. Check is the spinners are going down. Check the general raid DPS (wtf is with that hunter?)

Deleted
    11 lvl 85 and NONE is below 10k dps (4 of them are tanks.......)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dedomoazul View Post
    About your dps. 8k as hunter...punch him/her in the nose. Reguarding your heals.

Maintain Earth Shield Maintain Riptide on both tanks! Check if your totems are still affecting you (Healing stream amazing)
    Healing wave harder! (Mo crits, more mana return!)
    Below 85% Riptide, HW
    Below 70% Riptide, HW or (If damage is still flowing) GHW
    Below 50% UE+GHW
    Below 30% UE+GHW(Pray for crits!)
    Below 18% HS! Riptide(for Tidal waves) GHW, UE, GHW!

And just cause some shaman's dont realize. Tidal waves..and Riptide. Is your best damn friend.
    Sorry but that´s not very good information.
    First off, you can´t keep riptide on both tanks since one is upstairs.
    Second, dont use healing wave at all, unless you´re bored and someone taking minimum damage. Your druid friends hots should take care of that anyways.
    The % tips is not helpful either, especially those at lower percentage. You definately dont want do spend a GCD of UE when the tank is low. Never use UE unless you´re running and Riptide is on CD. Tidal wave + GHW is the way to heal tanks at almost all circumstances. Abort your GHW if tank health is full, start to re-cast a new one immediately, rince and repeat.
    If you´re finding mana to be an issue, try using chain heal instead of Healing Rain, save mana for HR to the later stage of phase 2.

10+ Year Old Account
    My number one reason for going oom faster than usual on Beth'tilac was usually that I didn't refresh my Water Shield. I do have a tracker with an acoustic signal even... but sometimes it would overlap with my signal for Earth Shield dropping off, so I'd not realise that Water Shield was down until a while later, and that's what's wreaking havoc on your mana always.

I suspect that this might contribute to your mana problems. It isn't all that bad when you take care of your Water Shield. And then you really have to make good spell selections, use your Mana Tide when Beth comes down for the first time and then again when it's off-CD. And you can also use a Potion of Concentration at the start of P2 when she's coming down. Place that Healing Rain and take that pot. The incoming damage on the raid isn't so bad at first. Healing Rain and Healing Stream Totem will take care of the raid for you during your regeneration.

10+ Year Old Account
    your wrists are missing enchant (give them +50 int)

it's very important to communicate for your guild to be at least a little bit stacked up for a shaman healer. CH and HR are really good, and of course GHW for tanks. but yeah, you need your dps to be knocking down those spinners fast, or the damage is overwhelming. good luck! <3

Quote Originally Posted by Revelations View Post
    Your spec is off. 2/3 improved shields means less mana.
    Only on fights where Water Shield actually does trigger. Beth'tilac is one of the most prominent examples of this, but the increase that Improved Shields gives is not that significant now that Resurgence doesn't depend on it. If you want to get Ancestral Swiftness, then there's no reason not to spec into Improved Shields though.
    I don't get this spec? If you want crit, why not put 3/3 Acuity? If you want more Earthliving HoTs on low targets, why not put 2/2 Blessing of The Eternals? What's the point of talenting Improved Cleanse Spirit, or Cleansing Waters? Not a single fight in Firelands requires cleansing. On Alysrazor, Fieroblasts should be interrupted, on Ragnaros, Lava Waves should be dodged etc... Those points are better spent on Ancestral Resolve, since you should be always casting either heals or Lightning Bolts, you'll get permanent 10% damage reduction.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Illitti View Post
    On Alysrazor, Fieroblasts should be interrupted, on Ragnaros, Lava Waves should be dodged etc... Those points are better spent on Ancestral Resolve, since you should be always casting either heals or Lightning Bolts, you'll get permanent 10% damage reduction.
    Yeah, Ancestral Resolve is better, I use 1/2 in that - point was to take at least 1 point out of it as Cleansing Waters is the worst talent we have.

Now, for the cleansing part. Sure, people are supposed to dodge Ragnaros' Lava Waves - but if they don't they will DIE if you don't cleanse them. Easy as that.
    "Oh, I got hit by lava wave, let's wipe guize" Just no..

BoE isn't as good in 10 man as it is in 25. That's why. And I assume the OP is doing 10 mans.
    Last edited by Revelations; 2011-10-18 at 03:28 PM.

A simple thing for Beth'tilac is to put a raid marker on the ground under her. Tell people to always stay as close as possible to the marker.

It's mainly a DPS fight, though. If you're out of mana after phase one with two healers downstairs, you're either both horrible and/or running in green gear, your DPS are horrible and/or running in green gear, or your DPS assignments are off. Have a ranged DPS assigned to spinners only, a melee DPS assigned to drones only, and one or two people on spiderling duty.

Post-nerf, Beth'tilac is one of the harder normal modes, though, for the simple reason that her adds weren't entirely nerfed into the ground like they did a lot of other bosses. Alysrazor is far easier these days.
    Diplomacy is just war by other means.

10+ Year Old Account
    The first thing that jumps out at me is that your spirit is VERY low.

I run with ~2.8k spirit (3.2 with DMC:T stacked) unbuffed, and I can EASILY soloheal the downstairs area. I don't even need to use mana tide at all. In fact, I've even been thinking about reforging out of some spirit, because I never end a fight on low mana anymore, save for maybe a few hardmodes. I don't think I've ever been OOM more then once in all of Firelands.

You have 900 spirit less then me. That's what makes the difference.

If you replace your PVP helm and caster DPS weapon with proper PVE healing items, you're already gaining ~400 spirit.
    Your offhand and relic are caster DPS items as well, not healing items, you're missing out on a nice amount of spirit there as well.

I'd probably aim for ~3k in combat in a raid setting.
    Last edited by phyrix; 2011-10-18 at 04:17 PM.

Now, for the cleansing part. Sure, people are supposed to dodge Ragnaros' Lava Waves - but if they don't they will DIE if you don't cleanse them. Easy as that.
    "Oh, I got hit by lava wave, let's wipe guize" Just no..
    Oh, i see Makro is still raiding.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dedomoazul View Post
    Granted 900 Spirit is one hell of a differnce. You probably have you two piece right? Cause.. if you hit that Riptide off cd like me. You start getting mana from that too.
    I do have two piece, and if I'm not mistaken, the regeneration from it lets me cast an extra two greater heals or so. Not incredible, but not bad either.

What the hell are you talking about? The 2set bonus does not, in any circumstance, even give you back the mana you used to cast the Riptide itself. It has 40% chance to restore 1% of base mana per tick. Riptide costs 10% of base mana and has 7 ticks when glyphed, 8 if you reach 261 haste and 9 if you reach 2005 haste, provided you have the 5% haste buff. Even if stars aligned in perfect position and you were wearing your haste gear, you'd still only gain back 9% of your base mana. Saying that it'd let you cast 2 GHWs, which cost 33% of base mana per each, is so incorrect it makes me wonder how on earth you came into that kind of a conclusion. On average, you'd have to have to cast over 10 Riptides and let them tick their full duration to get mana for one GHW.

With delusions like these, it's no wonder Restoration Shaman community thinks the class is fine...

Quote Originally Posted by phyrix View Post
    I run with ~2.8k spirit (3.2 with DMC:T stacked) unbuffed, and I can EASILY soloheal the downstairs area. I don't even need to use mana tide at all. In fact, I've even been thinking about reforging out of some spirit...
    If you never use mana potions on progress raids, you need to reforge away more spirit. Fairly simple rule of thumb.

@OP
    I run with 3100 spirit (including procs/stacks, but not counting 2T12), which is generally just enough to two-heal heroic modes. I'd consider anything significantly less than 3k spirit in a raid setting to be too little. You may be able to get away with less if you're three-healing a lot of fights, or only doing the early normal modes, but the 2200 figure that got thrown around in early Cataclysm is nowhere near the mark for Firelands.
    Diplomacy is just war by other means.