Page 1 of 3
LastLast

What will EA/Bioware do to secure player accounts?

Has this been talked about at all? Will they be using a form of an authenticator?

There is an authenticator, yes. Provided with the collector's edition, I believe?

Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post
    There is an authenticator, yes. Provided with the collector's edition, I believe?
    Any what this can be confirmed? I have not read this was provided any where in the the collectors edition, unless its called something else.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'd expect them to offer the same services WoW and RIFT and the sort offer. Authenticators, coin lock, IP recognition, etc.

Not sure if the CE comes with a physical authenticator or not. I don't see it listed in the Ce contents at least on the site I am looking at. I imagine that they will have the phone app or internet app one though like WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Zinjinn View Post
    Any what this can be confirmed? I have not read this was provided any where in the the collectors edition, unless its called something else.
    I can confirm that the Collectors Edition has an authenticator. Nothing was mentionned that they would be selling one but I am pretty sure they will. I just hope they do a mobile version.

Last item listed on the list of what is included with the CE.

http://www.gamestop.com/pc/games/sta...-edition/92635

What do you see just below the Malgus statue?

#TeamTinkers

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Is there any offer for an authenticator without having to buy the CE? (As much as I'd like to, heh.)

There will probably be authenticators out pretty fast, cause it reduces the amount of shit the customer service has to deal with

http://www.gamestop.com/pc/games/sta...productDetails

CE comes with an authenticator, they will be available i am sure to others.

Excellent. Ty for the confirmation. Now for those of us who did not get the collectors edition how do we get one of those?

EDIT - nevermind, misread previous post.
    #TeamTinkers

Sweet. How much did it cost if you dont mind me asking?

Sorry, I misread what you posted. I thought you were asking where you could get a CE, but you were asking where you could get an authenticator. As far as I know, they aren't available for purchase yet.
    #TeamTinkers

It's important to remember, using a secure email that you don't use anywhere else, using a strong password, keeping your computer secure, and of course not giving any of your info to anyone are all very important ways of keeping your account safe. EA/Bioware can only do so much - the rest is up to the individual.

Quote Originally Posted by Domenik View Post
    I guess never once read what in the CE when making your desicion on which to purpose
    This line just blew my mind.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    This line just blew my mind.
    I'm glad I'm no the only one.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm gunna take a WILD guess here :P and say that Authenicators will be available from release, probably for around $5/£3, with a smartphone ap version, which is probably free
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

It hasn't been announced yet, but:

Account stealing was such an issue at Blizzard that they gave them away at-cost, for $5. SOE just introduced their own authenticators for accounts, using the same vendor as Blizzard - but they want a profit, so they charge $10.

So, likely in the $5-$10 range. Personally I think they should be free with a game purchase, but oh well.

Some pictures of authenticators, to get the idea of what they look like (if you don't know):

SOE's authenticator

Blizzard's authenticator
    Last edited by Karteli; 2011-10-18 at 04:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Karteli View Post
    It hasn't been announced yet, but:

Account stealing was such an issue at Blizzard that they gave them away at-cost, for $5. SOE just introduced their own authenticators for accounts, using the same vendor as Blizzard - but they want a profit, so they charge $10.

So, likely in the $5-$10 range. Personally I think they should be free with a game purchase, but oh well.
    theres no reason anyone should be charged for account security. it should definitely be included with a normal box purchase.

however there's no way i believe that; a. blizzard sells anything at cost. and b. it costs $5 to make an authenticator...its plastic with a screen...its essentially a calculator minus the function. and you can get a cheap calculator for a dollar

Quote Originally Posted by Nohvello View Post
    theres no reason anyone should be charged for account security. it should definitely be included with a normal box purchase.

however there's no way i believe that; a. blizzard sells anything at cost. and b. it costs $5 to make an authenticator...its plastic with a screen...its essentially a calculator minus the function. and you can get a cheap calculator for a dollar
    Ah I think you are right, they only waive shipping costs. Somehow I was thinking otherwise.
    http://us.blizzard.com/store/details.xml?id=1100001470

Theirs is $6.50.

Yup account security should be free. To me it seems like they would alleviate themselves alot of headaches with free authenticators (phone support, currency selling, account restores, etc), countering most account theft attempts, except for others like Man-in-the-Middle attacks.