Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

No cross-realm PvP?

I heard in an interview by TotalBiscuit (I'm not allowed to link but the video is called "The Old Republic - Endgame / PvP Interview (Gamescom)", it's on his channel on YouTube) that Gabe said, while talking about Huttball "So if there's less empire on your server, for example, you'll still be able to play versus republic" (something like that).

Does this mean that there won't be any cross-realm in PvP War Zones? I'd love that because it would bring the sense of community back into PvP. I remember in Classic WoW when you only met guys from your own server and you recognized alot of them. Also helps you to make in-game friends who are into PvP aswell.

Anyone with more knowledge on this matter?

Deleted
    Yes, they've confirmed no cross-realming at launch.

15+ Year Old Account
    Ya I imagine they will see how it goes doing server only before they implement cross-server. Except for the terrible queue times, same server bgs used to be incredible in WoW. They really foster a sense of rivalry more than cross-realm ever could considering you rarely see the same people nowadays. Back in the day you used to look at the list of people in game and say "Oh shit Rickles is in here for Horde and he is incredible." I'd love if SWTOR brought that back without bringing back the queue times to where you queued when you logged in and were lucky if it popped before you logged off five hours later.

Its gonna be fun to recognize people again. It was always the fun part of early wow. wsg came out in march/april 2005 if memory serves. It was amazing running around and hunt certain players, and be like "oh shit, that guy is good" if you saw a certain nickname on the opposite scoreboard. Ragnaros-EU had a rank 14 warrior called Fuujin already before AB was even released as well, so it was always cool to get in the same one as he did. 2 pocket healers and pewpew <3

Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Ya I imagine they will see how it goes doing server only before they implement cross-server. Except for the terrible queue times, same server bgs used to be incredible in WoW. They really foster a sense of rivalry more than cross-realm ever could considering you rarely see the same people nowadays. Back in the day you used to look at the list of people in game and say "Oh shit Rickles is in here for Horde and he is incredible." I'd love if SWTOR brought that back without bringing back the queue times to where you queued when you logged in and were lucky if it popped before you logged off five hours later.
    I agree with this, cross server anything totally ruined the community of MMO's for me.

There would be rivalries and friendships formed over this type of atmosphere. I remember playing my horde toon in WSG and being in vent with the opposing Alliance team, who I later played with on an alliance alt.

Queues did suck, but i think the pvp system they have in place will help to alleviate that.

Id rather deal with a "boast" system that has some minor issues than do cross realm PvP.

They have stated that they specifically do NOT want cross realm PvP, simply because, as Conscript says, it helps to build a sense of a singular community and foster rivalry and competition within it. It can be far more fun when you go into a Battleground/Warzone/PvP Setting in general and you recognise all of the players there. The queue times may not be instant - after a few years, but bare in mind this:

In SWTOR there is the Bolster system, if there aren't enough people within your level range to start a Warzone quickly, it will expand the search and add peopole from different level ranges to the game. They will then receive a Bolster buff that buffs them to 80% of the best geared / levelled player in the map, as will anyone else who is under that I believe. So even after a while, Warzone queues should still be reasonably fast because they aren't split into brackets.

Mother fucking Rickles, always hated that guy.

OT: As others have said, the bolster system will stop slow queue times. Hopefully if a server is dead they'll merge it with another.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

No cross realm for pvp or for the pve dungeon finder that they are implementing. They want a strong community on a server bases
    (█████████████████████ΞΞ██ΞΞΞ██ΞΞ█████████████████████)
    Ghost -- Jedi Consular -- Shadow -- Infiltration 8/31/2
    {Scheduled Raids | Organized PVP | Community Oriented | Helpful to one another | Team Speak provided | Website}
    Why wait Join today! still recruting!

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd prefer they never allow transfers or cross realm anything.

Reputation should be built and kept.

Blacklist ninjas and trolls. The way it should of stayed in WoW.

IMO its the best way to keep a positive community. In-game and forum wise.

I'm looking forward to the no-cross-realm anything approach.

I remember WoW before cross-realm. You more or less knew your teammates, and you recognized names on the opposition, including who to avoid and who to gang up on.

Then there was person reputation and guild PR to manage. Wanna be known as a scumbag forever? Go fishing during a battleground, go afk, or just stand there and watch your teammates die. Word got around fast too.

WoW cross-realm was a bad idea, seemingly implemented to avoid dealing with excessive x-fers to one faction and server merges ... at the expense of player satisfaction. Reputation didn't matter any longer and it became tolerable to become a jerk or go afk for long periods, or just jump around others during a big fight - without participating. Doing the bare minimum became the norm for many, because nobody knew them or would see them ever again. ugh.
    Last edited by Karteli; 2011-10-18 at 06:36 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob from Accounting View Post
    There will be cross realm eventually. Both bgs and LFG. It just wouldn't make sense on heavily unbalanced population servers.

Also, Huttball is the only bg that allows teams of the same faction to battle. I'd call that insufficient in the long run.
    Hello Bob

I believe they said they mentioned maintaining server balance.

I don't know if it's over time or just beginning.

10+ Year Old Account
    There will be cross realm eventually. Both bgs and LFG. It just wouldn't make sense on heavily unbalanced population servers.

Also, Huttball is the only bg that allows teams of the same faction to battle. I'd call that insufficient in the long run.
    I hope with all my heart that won't happen.

My SWTOR guild: www.radguild.com
    USA West Coast PvP server: The Bastion
    Get your Game of Thrones on at Winteriscoming.net

Quote Originally Posted by ViolentSin View Post

100% agree with this

Lightning. It flashes bright, then... fades away. It can't protect. It only destroys

Deleted
    I was so happy to hear about no cross realm pvp/pve, I honestly feel thats one of the contributing factors to the decline of WoW.

Also glad there's no dungeon finder tool and flying mounts. <3

You know what will also be good about no cross-realm PvP is that it might funnel more people into doing the World PvP lakes/zones. I think this is way better for the community than sitting in a queue waiting for a bg.

Biggest problem is server population imbalance. I remember on my old server it was like 10 to 1 alliance vs horde so alliance side PvP queue times were 30-45minutes while horde were instant. I'm looking to see how this dynamic unfolds with the SWTOR system since it has BG's and PvP Zones. I can see the larger population side utilizing the PvP zones while the smaller population uses the instant queue BG's. Having both PvP options might give all PvP'rs a viable fun option regardless of population imbalance.

i love the fact that you can huttball against your own faction, two or more same faction guilds can have a tournament for bragging rights, sames faction pvp for huttball is a great idea imo
    Last edited by Medjai; 2011-10-18 at 07:03 PM.

Warcraft opened the doors for their doomed cross-realm but allowing class to class faction transfers. At least for now in SWTOR if you want to switch sides, you need to roll a new character. Early in WoW, I rerolled horde on a PVP server to have better access to world PVP and instant BG queues. If others want to wait in line on an imbalanced server, that's their business.

I hope SWTOR never goes the route of cross-realm anonymous grouping. Ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4bBb_gIROc
    8:48
    Gabe Amatangelo mentions that they may do additional same faction like Huttball in the future. It's really too early to call anything insufficient while predicting the "long run".

Quote Originally Posted by ViolentSin View Post

I couldn't agree more with your statement. Cross server battlegrounds/LFD, server/faction transfers killed any sense of a server community in WoW. I really hope they don't add those into TOR

10+ Year Old Account
    I never experienced single server BGs, but the horror of cross server PvE and PvP has me convinced that single server is just better.
    Scratch a cynic and you'll find a disappointed idealist - George Carlin (1937-2008)

Deleted
    I'm so glad to see this confirmed. No longer will I get to join with random trolls who just fires out at everybody for being "n00bs" instead of trying to come up with something constructive just because they think they'll never play with those people again. This way you can actually lose a WZ, join again with the same people and say: "OK, that is what we did wrong, lets try doing this instead."

I haven't been this excited about a game in a looong time ) Wish I could go in to a coma for 2 months x)