Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    I think people under estimate the power of compression. I'm not sure how much I can say without breaking NDA, and I'm certainly not a computer genius, but I've seen how the sound files are stored. The voice acting isn't going to use as much memory as people think it will.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Though it's probably not a good comparison, DA1 was around 4 gigs. DA2 was around 8. ME1 was around 3.5 gigs and ME 2 was around 6.
    And I bet you could combine all of those games together and it still won't match the amount of dialogue in SWTOR.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Deleted
    Sound files take up tiny amounts of memory. It certainly isn't the voice acting that has made the beta client so huge.

10+ Year Old Account
    Boxed for the win, especially got people like me who live in the middle of nowhere and as such has slow connections.
    "I'll tell you something, my Tenchi, you know the carnival comes and goes. But if you wait for a while, it'll always come back to you, Tenchi."~Ryoko TENCHIxRYOKO FTW!

"The crystal is the heart of the blade. The heart is the crystal of the Jedi. The Jedi is the crystal of the Force.
    The Force is the blade of the heart. All are intertwined. The crystal, the blade, the Jedi. You are one.

Quote Originally Posted by Istaril View Post
    Sound files take up tiny amounts of memory. It certainly isn't the voice acting that has made the beta client so huge.
    Individual sound files are tiny, sure. But devs have been quoted as stating that the amount of voice acting is equivalent to 40 or more NOVELS worth. That's a ton of voice files, they add up.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not just sound files you have to consider. Cinematic events like whenever you talk to someone also take up space.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Even if you order a physical copy you'll miss the headstart if you can't download the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    That all depends on the format and the higher quality sound = larger file size

For instance a 30 minute mix of techno recorded in .wav @ 320kbps was upwards of several gigs in size

But just to give you an idea AoC only had voice acting in Tortage, the client was 30 gigs. Granted compression has come a long way since AoC, but the sheer amount of voice acting Bioware says is in this game leads me to believe it will be between 30-40 gigs.

most AUS isps are limited they only just brought out unlimited downloads like 6 months ago lol. ^#$% this country and its bullsh*t

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rynzr View Post
    most AUS isps are limited they only just brought out unlimited downloads like 6 months ago lol. ^#$% this country and its bullsh*t
    Ya I hear your country doesnt like gamers so you pay more for your games and internet than the rest of the world. Not sure how much of that is true, but damn thats some BS if it is.

Bloodsail Admiral Melanieshaman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamburger View Post
    The last dev post I read said it was going to be around 30g altogether, 20g of actual game data and a 10g installer (which can be deleted after installation.) I mean the beta was 27g...

I'm going to try and find that post. Damn official site is down
    I seem to remember it being around 27 when i DLed the beta

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kapaya View Post
    Wait wait wait... The download is 40 gigs?!?!?! Damn, I've gotta start cleaning my damn HDD.

People need to read past the first two posts before they start posting themselves. Sorry if that comes across as rude >_>
    "I'll tell you something, my Tenchi, you know the carnival comes and goes. But if you wait for a while, it'll always come back to you, Tenchi."~Ryoko TENCHIxRYOKO FTW!

"The crystal is the heart of the blade. The heart is the crystal of the Jedi. The Jedi is the crystal of the Force.
    The Force is the blade of the heart. All are intertwined. The crystal, the blade, the Jedi. You are one.

The current client size is 27GB, not 40 FYI (granted, that might change before launch, but doubt it'll go over 30). And as others have said, first off, I recommend trying to see if there's an option for unlimited internet, second, get the discs and you won't have to download the client in the first place, just the patches.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zyzz View Post
    yeah i live out in the country the only thing i can get is mobile broadband at least its better then what i use to be on which was 5gigs
    Sad to know that.
    At home I have Optic Fiber (don't know how you guys say).
    But I also have a Mobile Broadband to use when I go see my parents in the weekends. Since they don't know how to use computers, they don't need Internet.
    Luckily here I have "unlimited" download and upload Internet using my Mobile ISP. Not unlimited because I think the download speed cap is at 50Gb or something, but well, for the weekends thats more than enough.

Just buy the game in stores, they'll probably have it on release date. You just need to go to your store and buy it, witch is the boring part lol.
    I'm actually doing this, I have 15% discount if I pre-order by Internet on my store, I just need to go grab the game in there. Since the store is about 5 min walk from my apartment, well, I don't mind

Quote Originally Posted by gravity00 View Post
    At home I have Optic Fiber (don't know how you guys say).
    Yeah Fiber Optic. It's generally rare to have a fiber connection in America, though more and more companies are installing it where they can (most places are cable/DSL, or wireless-only). In fact my parents are getting a fiber line right in front of their house... I'm totally jealous.