Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Character Naming Rules

did a search and couldn't find anything so sorry if there's an answer to this floating around.

Will character names in TOR be similar to WoW, where you get one line with a number of letters?

or will it be like KoTOR? where you have a first and last name? (i realize that there was only one line as well, but when you make a new toon/randomize the name, theres a first and last name)

furthermore, will it just be letters and special characters or will there be apostrophes and such for alien names?

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    From what I've heard on the TOR forums - one line, no last names, special characters a no-no, and supposedly there will be apostrophes and hyphens for alien names. (Which, if true, will definately be handy for Chiss, as their full names tend to be somet'hin'glikethis.)
    Last edited by Joshmaul; 2011-10-18 at 05:59 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I believe its one line, no last names. Disappointing considering you could have them in SWG =/

I also know they will have a filter so you wont see any Darth___ Lord___ or anything close to existing characters.

Names from the SW movies and from Kotor games are absolutely prohibited. But they will only implement this on the live servers as i currently see plenty of BobaFetts and Darths on the BETA

similar to wow name's or any random load of letter's that happen to appear into your head.

as of yet there is no official word on if they will allow last names, wish it would have been asked at a Q&A as I really want to have last names in it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Aww...I wanna be able to use special characters... Usually if I can't use my name then I'll end up using an alt code for the i, such as í or something. The next best thing is Ryu'ji or something I guess...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakpoth View Post
    I find it unreasonable to ask for other than obvious reasons, when the reason obviously is the obvious reason.
    Armory: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch.../dalaran/ryuji

Song that's currently stuck in my head: pretty much anything from Dance With the Dead

lame...though i figured that would be the case...just figured id ask since it was allowed in kotor...the "no names from the franchise" is a great idea...they should've done that with wow

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel the use of special characters in names is wrong.

When inviting people or trying to contact someone makes it much harder.

Having to deal with people that didn't get 1st pick and using them is just wrong.

I really hope they change their minds (unless they haven't made them up in the first place) and allow last names. It'd make things so much easier.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryuji View Post
    Aww...I wanna be able to use special characters... Usually if I can't use my name then I'll end up using an alt code for the i, such as í or something. The next best thing is Ryu'ji or something I guess...
    We're like polar opposites haha. You love ASCII characters, and if I ever see someone with one I completely ignore them.

Quote Originally Posted by ViolentSin View Post

Having to deal with people that didn't get 1st pick and using them is just wrong.
    Do what I do, pick the next person on the list!

I am not a fan of ASCII characters and wouldn't use one in my own name, but there are many words in languages other than English that do need them. Because of that I am not totally against having them available, but I would prefer it be limited to the ones used in most of the popular languages rather than everything that is available through an ASCII code.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamburger View Post
    We're like polar opposites haha. You love ASCII characters, and if I ever see someone with one I completely ignore them.!
    Well I mean it's only one letter and every possible chance I had, I'd tell the person inviting me the code. That í in particular is alt 0237. Usually I don't have to use it, I just go with Ryuji. Now when there's someone using a name where every other letter is ASCII then it's like...nope.avi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakpoth View Post
    I find it unreasonable to ask for other than obvious reasons, when the reason obviously is the obvious reason.
    Armory: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch.../dalaran/ryuji

Song that's currently stuck in my head: pretty much anything from Dance With the Dead

They said they do want last names in several interviews, but they sure if itd make launch. If not it was a serious pussy launch goal

Edit: fucking auto correct, I meant " post launch" but Im leaving pussy for hilarity
    Last edited by tripplebooya; 2011-10-19 at 01:44 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamburger View Post
    We're like polar opposites haha. You love ASCII characters, and if I ever see someone with one I completely ignore them.
    Rofl, I totally agree with you. Back in Vanilla WoW, I actually used to report people for using ASCII chars. I eventually reported so many, a GM responded to one and said something along the lines of "yes, it's against the rules, but we don't enforce it much." So I just started ignoring them instead.

If you can't get your name without using ASCII chars, or putting all sorts of extra letters in it, PICK ANOTHER NAME.

I've used ASCII characters a few times, but I generally make a conscious decision when I'm making that character that for the remainder of its existence I won't be talking to anyone or trying to get invited to groups. I get a cool name, I get left alone, and I play it completely solo. If I changed my mind later and wanted that class to be involved in groups and such, I'd fork out the 10 bucks to blizzard and pick something more palatable.

Cant wait for darthatrhasvadermaul :/
    Dragonflight Nerfs vs fun again show a Blizzard that hasn't learnt a lesson, Actions speak louder than words afterall watch what they do and do not do.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayia View Post
    Cant wait for darthatrhasvadermaul :/
    Arthas will get by, but darth, vader, maul won't make it through the naming filter when the game launches. So you'll be sarcastically waiting awhile.

Totally agree with this, it sucks not only to invite folks or try to communicate but you can come up with a really cool name and then have it copied by some doucher that simply adds an ascii character.

Want the naming convention to be stricter and have a better community? If someone has a crappy name just report it, takes 30 seconds.

10+ Year Old Account

Actually I do this on purpose to keep bots from spamming tells to me. Most games have a shiftclick option and if someone cant figure that out then I probably dont need to party with or join their guild.