Page 1 of 11
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    So will we be able to switch ACs at level 50 or no?

    I've heard so many different things from the Devs that I'm confused. At first they didn't want to, then they did but with increasing costs, then they did something that lets you change early on but not at max level. Now where are they on the issue?


    Anyone know what they plan on going with for release?
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~Jesus of Nazareth

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Sengura View Post
    I've heard so many different things from the Devs that I'm confused. At first they didn't want to, then they did but with increasing costs, then they did something that lets you change early on but not at max level. Now where are they on the issue?


    Anyone know what they plan on going with for release?
    The answer is the same as it was when they first announced the issue. They are testing multiple ways of handling it. We'll get more info closer to launch.

  3. #3
    Scarab Lord Trollsbane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    4,484
    Quote Originally Posted by PuliGT View Post
    The answer is the same as it was when they first announced the issue. They are testing multiple ways of handling it. We'll get more info closer to launch.
    This is the only correct answer to this question. =)

    My SWTOR guild: www.radguild.com
    USA West Coast PvP server: The Bastion
    Get your Game of Thrones on at Winteriscoming.net

  4. #4
    Field Marshal Solfaur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Romania
    Posts
    89
    So far no, but I strongly believe there will be an AC "respec" made avalible some time in the future, especially since they stated that class story is the same regardless of your AC choice.

  5. #5
    Field Marshal
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    69
    Latest I've heard is that you will be able to change, the first time it will cost a small fee, but after that it will get a lot more expensive.

  6. #6
    They stated they won't be any dual spec at launch.
    I hope it answers your question.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Seweryn View Post
    They stated they won't be any dual spec at launch.
    I hope it answers your question.
    Did you not read his question? No one asked anything about dual spec.
    (█████████████████████ΞΞ██ΞΞΞ██ΞΞ█████████████████████)
    Ghost -- Jedi Consular -- Shadow -- Infiltration 8/31/2
    {Scheduled Raids | Organized PVP | Community Oriented | Helpful to one another | Team Speak provided | Website}
    Why wait Join today! still recruting!

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by PuliGT View Post
    The answer is the same as it was when they first announced the issue. They are testing multiple ways of handling it. We'll get more info closer to launch.
    This is the truth. But speculation is also fun. A few ways they could handle it:

    1. Allow anyone to change AC at any time, for a hefty hefty price. But in reality, "prohibitively expensive" is relative, as some players will have much more money than others. This would make the decision trivial for some, and unobtainable for others, which isn't entirely desirable.
    2. Allow one free AC change within a few levels of choosing, in case you realize early on that you chose the wrong AC, but make your choice permanent after that.
    3. Allow a "test drive" of sorts, where you can get a feel for each AC before making a "final" decision.

    Personally I like 2 the best. AC choice should not be taken lightly. It's a decision that could affect your entire gameplay experience. And often in RPGs there aren't enough truly meaningful choices to be made.

    Also think about it from a RP perspective. An inquisitor has to put in significant effort to train to be an effective Assassin, master of melee arts, and perfecting all the unique Assassin abilities that go with it. In the process he forgoes training in the Sorcerer arts. How much sense would it make if, with a simple flip of a switch, he all of a sudden loses all those melee abilities and instead becomes an instantaneous expert in healing and casting?

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Seweryn View Post
    They stated they won't be any dual spec at launch.
    I hope it answers your question.
    You are correct, but that wasn't what the OP was asking.

    What PuliGT said is correct. We don't really have anything concrete on this issue yet.

  10. #10
    Epic! Iceleaf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Santa Destroy
    Posts
    1,566
    They said on interview that respeccing to AC is possible but at very high price - at least start of this year was it. Would be kinda annoying to re-level sith warrior just because you chose Marauder with 2 dps specs instead of juggernaught with tank and dps spec - as theres no hybrid tax juggernaught dps is doing same as pure dps AC..hardly anyone would level pure dps ac since theres only 2 of them out of 8. Just imagine the annoyance of: "Ok guys we are missing tank today..our marauder here got the gear in bank but he chose different AC so we just gotta call the raid until someone levels tank or recruits one".
    "when women wear makeup they’re basically lying to us"
    Well, I don’t see why women are being blamed if man is stupid enough to really think they have red and gold eyelids.

  11. #11
    Pandaren Monk Shamburger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Great White North
    Posts
    1,801
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceleaf View Post
    They said on interview that respeccing to AC is possible but at very high price - at least start of this year was it. Would be kinda annoying to re-level sith warrior just because you chose Marauder with 2 dps specs instead of juggernaught with tank and dps spec - as theres no hybrid tax juggernaught dps is doing same as pure dps AC..hardly anyone would level pure dps ac since theres only 2 of them out of 8. Just imagine the annoyance of: "Ok guys we are missing tank today..our marauder here got the gear in bank but he chose different AC so we just gotta call the raid until someone levels tank or recruits one".
    Just throwing this out there. This is a player issue, not an issue with the system.

    Personally I'm ok with AC switching if it costs A LOT of credits. I'm thinking like if we are comparing it to WoW current inflation, like 20k gold. So if the mounts in TOR are like 40k credits, an AC respec should be... around 100k or more.
    Last edited by Shamburger; 2011-10-18 at 07:47 PM.

  12. #12
    Just put a big long cooldown on it...like 6 months or so.

  13. #13
    The Lightbringer vian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Random
    Posts
    3,059
    I hope not! Sounds just about bad as payed class change in other games.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceleaf View Post
    They said on interview that respeccing to AC is possible but at very high price - at least start of this year was it. Would be kinda annoying to re-level sith warrior just because you chose Marauder with 2 dps specs instead of juggernaught with tank and dps spec - as theres no hybrid tax juggernaught dps is doing same as pure dps AC..hardly anyone would level pure dps ac since theres only 2 of them out of 8. Just imagine the annoyance of: "Ok guys we are missing tank today..our marauder here got the gear in bank but he chose different AC so we just gotta call the raid until someone levels tank or recruits one".
    I don't see how this situation justifies allowing people to play to change classes. "Pure" dps classes do fine in other games, why are they suddenly going to fail in swtor? If you want to be able to change your spec to tank, pick an AC that can tank.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamburger View Post
    Just throwing this out there. This is a player issue, not an issue with the system.

    Personally I'm ok with AC switching if it costs A LOT of credits. I'm thinking like if we are comparing it to WoW current inflation, like 20k gold. So if the mounts in TOR are like 40k credits, an AC respec should be... around 100k or more.
    I agree with this, plus it's an excellent way of keeping economy inflation down by getting rid of some of the money in circulation.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~Jesus of Nazareth

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Messyproof View Post
    Just put a big long cooldown on it...like 6 months or so.
    Actually I like this idea. They have a similar system in EVE Online, where you can respec your attributes once a year. I just think making it cost 100k or whatever with no cooldown makes it trivial for rich players, but unobtainable by more casual players, which I don't think it very just.

  17. #17
    Epic! Iceleaf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Santa Destroy
    Posts
    1,566
    Quote Originally Posted by PuliGT View Post
    I don't see how this situation justifies allowing people to play to change classes. "Pure" dps classes do fine in other games, why are they suddenly going to fail in swtor? If you want to be able to change your spec to tank, pick an AC that can tank.
    Well like I've said multiple times on similiar threads, the difference imo is because theres less pure dps than tank/healer AC's. 2 out of 8 AC's that are pure dps. Since there is no hybrid tax, tank/dps or healer/dps AC is as effective as pure dps AC.
    Other mmos usually tend to have more pure dps classes than tanks not other way around.
    I'm just concerned that only reason someone would pick lets say marauder is because it would be "op at pvp" and someone who just casually does dungeons.
    To me at least, being able to fill more roles wins over the "using 2 light sabers to do dps". Thats what tends to happen in wow already. If theres 2 applicants and other one can dps and tank and other one can just dps the choice can be clear and more towards the versitale person (if gear and class balance would be similiar). I wouldnt say they would "fail" so to speak but if you couldnt respec AC it would limit in a way that they would just level tank/dps or healer/dps if they "at some point want to heal/tank"(even year from now) if you know what I mean? Just my consern.
    "when women wear makeup they’re basically lying to us"
    Well, I don’t see why women are being blamed if man is stupid enough to really think they have red and gold eyelids.

  18. #18
    This is the way they are going to handle it.

    Between levels 10 and 14 you can change to the other AC WITHIN your base class. You cant change from Gunslinger to a Jedi AC.
    Once You outlevel this 'Safety Zone', you will be required to pay a very high amount of credits (Bioware have said publicly that the amount will be much more than you could get at your level, meaning the cost scales with level), and on reaching level 50, it will cost a HUGE amount of credits, PLUS you would need to regear yourself again.


    So yes, changing AC's is in, but with restrictions.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceleaf View Post
    Well like I've said multiple times on similiar threads, the difference imo is because theres less pure dps than tank/healer AC's. 2 out of 8 AC's that are pure dps. Since there is no hybrid tax, tank/dps or healer/dps AC is as effective as pure dps AC.
    Other mmos usually tend to have more pure dps classes than tanks not other way around.
    I'm just concerned that only reason someone would pick lets say marauder is because it would be "op at pvp" and someone who just casually does dungeons.
    To me at least, being able to fill more roles wins over the "using 2 light sabers to do dps". Thats what tends to happen in wow already. If theres 2 applicants and other one can dps and tank and other one can just dps the choice can be clear and more towards the versitale person (if gear and class balance would be similiar). I wouldnt say they would "fail" so to speak but if you couldnt respec AC it would limit in a way that they would just level tank/dps or healer/dps if they "at some point want to heal/tank"(even year from now) if you know what I mean? Just my consern.

    But you said it yourself, there will only be 2 pure DPS specs out of 8. This means that there will be a high chance of the guild already having another AC to fill the tank/healer roll when their main tank/healer aren't present.

    Think of it this way, there are 8 ACs per faction and their are 8/16 slots in an operation. If you assume same class percentage then you will average only 2 pure DPS classes in an 8 man Op and only 4 in a 16 man Op, leaving 6 and 12 hybrid classes to fill in the heals/tanking need. More than enough IMO.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~Jesus of Nazareth

  20. #20
    Not allowing it or making it ridiculously expensive to respec would only hurt the game, especially if leveling takes as long as they are hinting. This is a brand new game. Players aren't going to have a ton of resources to look at and make accurate decisions about how the endgame plays out.

    Think of it this way: lets say you finally get to lv 50 as an Inquisitor Assassin, but you find it's not that fun. What would you do if your options are either relevel a Inquisitor again to try out the Sorcerer, pay a ridiculous amount of credits, or just level another class in the hopes that you'll enjoy it.

    How about if you get to 50 and it's fun, but they make some tweaks (remember, this is a new game, things won't be perfect at launch, regardless of how long beta is) and it destroys that spec for you. Once again you either have to level a new toon in hopes that it'll be fun.

    No thank you. MMO's are too fluid to restrict a player like that. Every major content update can cause re-balancing issues. Look at WoW: how often has a patch made a spec not viable or made another spec top dps?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •