Deleted

New type of Battlegrounds

As i was rummaging in a german WoW Forum, I stumbled over a very interesting post.
    It concerns the current Battlegrounds and their design and is a reminder that Blizzard had actually planed a Battleground just like the OP of the thread describes. It's true: Blizzard had already created an overwhelming, novel and refreshing Battleground design for "Battle for Gilneas" to implement in "World of Warcraft: Cataclysm", but they blew it off in the last minute and hastily created the kinky map of "Battle for Gilneas" like we know it today.
    We never got to see the actual map they had planned for us.

The following thread was translated by me and illustrates what the map of "Battle for Gilneas" would have been like, quite well.

Howdy, WoW – Community!

What is it that makes WoW so stunning? Why would it fascinate about 75% of the gamer community (online gamers), if they would just try it out?
    And why do the other 25% prefer other online games? The latter has a simple reason.

WoW features:

- PvE: This equals a masterpiece and is one-of-a-kind. No other online game is fit to hold a candle to Blizzard when it comes to PvE. PvE in WoW is unrivalled and everyone of Blizzards competitors takes a leaf out of Blizzard’s book.

- PvP: Is not fully utilised yet.

Fundamentally there are 3 kinds of PvP:

- Open PvP: In this point Blizzards impact is limited, so it’s not up for debate.

- PvP in Battlegrounds as we know it: In nearly every part, of every single Battleground, the map is open and big. It’s all about tactical thinking, capturing a base or a flag, defending a base or a flag and fighting some PvP boss.

- PvP in Battlegrounds with significantly smaller areas to fight and your range of sight is limited: The “oh shit” – effect would be like all over the place.

Let me explain with an example:
    You run round a corner of a wall, and exactly at this moment an opponent turns round the corner as well, but you didn’t see him coming. And that’s when the “oh-shit” – effect occurs. You are forced to act IMMEDEATELY and that is what differs PvP from PvE.
    Exciting PvP lives from this effect. Unfortunately, this effect occurs extremely infrequently in the current Battlegrounds of WoW. Just because general conditions don’t exist; but that would be fixable.

This “oh-shit” – effect is what matters for the other 25% of the online gamer-community.
    This “oh-shit” – effect is what makes all the games like CS or CoD marketable.
    This “oh-shit” – effect is standard in CS/CoD and repeats itself over and over again – yet the games are bestsellers and timeless. Precisely because WoW doesn’t offer this effect yet.

If Blizzard wants to be and stay competitive in the PvP sector they should soon implement a Battleground, similar to the ones we know from CS/CoD (certainly not a modern urban district) but something like Stormwind or, as Blizzard had already in mind, Gilneas – with even narrower alleys.

[editor not: a Battleground designed like Stormwind…I mean just think about it…personally, I guess, I wouldn’t join one because if I should my endorphins would make me explode.]

It wouldn’t matter which basic principle (capturing a flag/base etc.) Blizzard would use. The chief attraction would be that Blizzard creates a Battleground, where most of your fights are unpredictable. In the current Battlegrounds you see an opponent from a long distance: now you can bit by bit decide how you are going to fight your enemy, or you just avoid the whole thing. In my opinion: this is not what PvP should be like.
    In the Battleground I’m talking about, every fight would offer a different initial position.

Online players who rely on this “oh-shit” – effect to have the best possible gaming experience, should be offered the possibility to join such a Battleground already in the trial. So they should implement one Battleground that lives from the “oh-shit” – effect and make it accessible for new players. Blizzard would attract every potential player with all possibilities to pvp.
    They would please every online gamer and thus outdo all their competitors in the branch.
    Like this, they would mark their position as the undisputed market leader…in any case until a meteorite whooshes into their headquarters in California. [editor note: wtf…?]
    I don't know why the OP choosed to call it "oh-shit" - effect, but I guess it applies well and everybody gets what he has in mind.

I agree with the OP and I wouldn't mind another type of Battleground as well.
    Let's see. Maybe a surprise awaits us next friday.

Source: I'm not allowed to post any links yet. Stay tuned.

best regards

Deleted
    ./sign

I couldn't wait for "Battle of Gilneas" (pre-version) as well. Seemed nice.
    Why did Blizzard had to change the map again? oh why?

WoW already does offer PVP like this to an extent, it's called arenas. You go in not knowing what you are going to face and it is relatively close quarters, those gates open and you have to decide very quickly how you want to act. The biggest issue with having extremely limited line of sight on a larger scale like a battleground is that casters/ranged in WoW depend on line of sight and on space for kiting in order to fight melee. If there was a BG with tons of small spaces lots of corners and walls and very few open areas such as an urban environment melee would absolutely dominate. I say this as someone who primarily plays a Ret Pally and a DK, it would be such a massive advantage for melee that the map just would not work IMO. It works in those FPS games because guns dont have cast times lol.

Deleted
    gonna /push this one

/win

that german guy literally has it right. 100%.

i just... its...

thatd be so SICK.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldacar View Post
    WoW already does offer PVP like this to an extent, it's called arenas. You go in not knowing what you are going to face and it is relatively close quarters, those gates open and you have to decide very quickly how you want to act. The biggest issue with having extremely limited line of sight on a larger scale like a battleground is that casters/ranged in WoW depend on line of sight and on space for kiting in order to fight melee. If there was a BG with tons of small spaces lots of corners and walls and very few open areas such as an urban environment melee would absolutely dominate. I say this as someone who primarily plays a Ret Pally and a DK, it would be such a massive advantage for melee that the map just would not work IMO. It works in those FPS games because guns dont have cast times lol.
    Casters would stand atop of the buildings and take down melee from above

I hate to break it to you, but this "oh-shit" rubbish doesn't work in WoW AT ALL because nameplates show up through walls and kills are not instant.

And why would you want WoW PvP to be like the trash that passes for "fun" in CoD where any retard can get a lucky one shot kill?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by CptAwesome View Post
    nameplates show up through walls
    That should be easily changeable.

Deleted
    I like his ideas, but we're not in CoD, so it wouldn't really work.

In before Pandaball.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stasher View Post
    Casters would stand atop of the buildings and take down melee from above
    that'd be awesome actually!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CptAwesome View Post
    I hate to break it to you, but this "oh-shit" rubbish doesn't work in WoW AT ALL because nameplates show up through walls and kills are not instant.

And why would you want WoW PvP to be like the trash that passes for "fun" in CoD where any retard can get a lucky one shot kill?
    It wouldn't work in WoW because WoW isn't really based on reaction time or even heavily reliant on player skill. It's not like Warsow or QuakeWorld.

Being able to see your opponents from a long distance is important in WoW because much of player skill revolves around positioning. This includes pillar humping, utilizing the z-axis when possible (ducking underneath an overhang to LOS the dude sniping on the roof, or jumping off the bridge to avoid being caught by the enemy team.)

What the dude is basically asking for is for what small amount of skill-intensive decision making exists in the game to be removed completely.

It's a really stupid idea.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

10+ Year Old Account
    Suggestions belong on the suggestion forum.

(WoW is not a FPS. This idea would be terrible.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Callace View Post
    Considering you just linked a graph with no data plotted on it as factual evidence, I think Stanton can infer whatever the hell he wants.
    Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence - Sometimes I abbreviate this ECREE