10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Omnoms View Post
    Alright, so i recently got my girlfriend into league of legends(woo!) and she enjoys tanky mage champs such as amumu. Can anyone suggest anything similar? I'm partially thinking maokai/galio. Gotta love the ults that turn a team fight around!
    Rumble and vlad can both get tanky. Though you can also build them both class cannon (don't really recommend it on rumble). Swain, Maoki, Malphite, Nautalis (to an extent, I find he's best built full tank), Cho'gath and some others.

I'll edit it if I think of any other picks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMayor View Post
    Quick question how good is Jayce apart from solo top, can he jungle (is he viable) and can he replace an ad carry ?
    Yes, but it's no where near viable. I've played him in in all three spots in normal games. Jungle is really fun but you have no health sustain. ADC is also fun, but his full combo requires him to be in melee range and he already has the shortest range of any ADC.

I did play one ranked game as ADC Jayce and destroyed, but that was mostly because I had a fantastic support and the enemy Ezreal was horrible.

Deleted
    just reached lvl 30 and just thought: wtf are people bad in ranked games. and even if you win your lane, the two others just get 0/xx and you simply lose.

i know that there is no real champ who can carry everything but there are champs that are better and some are worser for carrying a game.

does anyone made his way out of elo hell with 1-2 chars he could recommend? (next weekend will be 48 hours double ip) and we are already planing on doing 5men premade rushes for ip, so i want to buy 1-2 champs to leave elo hell (it isnt that i am bad, but soooo many noobs )
    [some champs i already got: gragas, morgana, veigar, morde, shyvana, corki, kogmaw, blitz, soraka, taeric, kayle, sion, cho]

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Balleny View Post
    just reached lvl 30 and just thought: wtf are people bad in ranked games. and even if you win your lane, the two others just get 0/xx and you simply lose.

i know that there is no real champ who can carry everything but there are champs that are better and some are worser for carrying a game.

does anyone made his way out of elo hell with 1-2 chars he could recommend? (next weekend will be 48 hours double ip) and we are already planing on doing 5men premade rushes for ip, so i want to buy 1-2 champs to leave elo hell (it isnt that i am bad, but soooo many noobs )
    [some champs i already got: gragas, morgana, veigar, morde, shyvana, corki, kogmaw, blitz, soraka, taeric, kayle, sion, cho]
    Elo hell doesn't exist is what everyone above 1500 or so will tell.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you just reached 30... what the hell are you doing in Ranked in the first place?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    If you just reached 30... what the hell are you doing in Ranked in the first place?
    why shouldnt i play ranked? got full runes, masterys set up and enough exp.

Deleted
    Because you most likely don't have enough experience to always win your lane. When I hit level 30 I know I wasn't good enough to win my lane every time, I have only just started to really do ranked again and I am at 900 normal wins. If you are wanting to gain ELO then I would wait a while before playing. If you are just doing it for fun/something to do then go for it.
    Last edited by mmoc74648e676e; 2012-10-11 at 09:19 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by quosk1867 View Post
    Because you most likely don't have enough experience to always win your lane. When I hit level 30 I know I wasn't good enough to win my lane every time, I have only just started to really do ranked again and I am at 900 normal wins. If you are wanting to gain ELO then I would wait a while before playing. If you are just doing it for fun/something to do then go for it.
    I mean I donno about you but the people I played against when I started with ranked were about as good as I was when I was level 15.

10+ Year Old Account
    imo the amount of wins you have has nothing to do with how good you are. I would say do ranked once you are comfortable playing every role. You'll end up where you're supposed to be eventually.

10+ Year Old Account
    You should have at least 2 champs you are comfortable with for each role and 3 full rune pages that cover 3 roles and sorta cover the other 2. And masteries for each one or atleast you should be able to find and make them at champ select if you somehow filled up all 20 pages.

Quote Originally Posted by quosk1867 View Post
    Isn't it true that you only get better at what you do, when playing against even better players? I can't claim to know how to counter everything at my current level, so I won't, but I always envisioned Ranked as a place with a punitive learning curve, not a place to go to "when you are ready padawan". I think losing your lane and failing certain parts of the game eventually make you a better player, although I don't doubt that this only counts for a minority of the players.

If you are capable of selfreflecting after a match and you decide that you didn't play well, you analyze the result and what went wrong, so you learn to adapt for the next match.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Just dinged 30 and went to ranked"
    Really? Do I need to explain what is wrong with that?
    1) You have too few champs in every role (or you spent too much cash, which I doubt), simple example you have Brand/Cass mid, you take mid role, enemy take Galio mid... you are screwed (need Talon for mid to counter Galio etc)
    2) You don't have all runes that's for sure, there are heroes who prefer pure AP runes for early domination (like LeBlanc) and heroes who work better late game runes (like Veigar, will be stupid to buy pure AP runes while he is better late game), how much rune pages you got to start with?
    3) Even if you had both, you don't know all enemies yet, you don't know a lot of tactics enemy can use, or builds, or simply you didn't play enough to learn to 'read' enemy champion movement, there is always someone who goes aggressive from start and other who like to stay way far and suddenly assassin you, both can happen with same champion
    4) You don't know how much hero selection at start make different, simple example if you pick Kassadin while your team's support is Taric is a big no, you know have 4 melee champs, you make enemy team have much easier life to spam aoe spells, a balanced team usually 3melee 2ranged (any role) or 2tanky melee 3ranged, I played games were 4 ranged and the only melee I'm forced to play a pure tank role and yet I don't survive usually because 1 melee is a mistake
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sam86 View Post
    1) You have too few champs in every role (or you spent too much cash, which I doubt), simple example you have Brand/Cass mid, you take mid role, enemy take Galio mid... you are screwed (need Talon for mid to counter Galio etc)
    I really don't understand the basis of this. "Don't play because you'll get counterpicked."
    So what?

2) You don't have all runes that's for sure, there are heroes who prefer pure AP runes for early domination (like LeBlanc) and heroes who work better late game runes (like Veigar, will be stupid to buy pure AP runes while he is better late game), how much rune pages you got to start with?
    Unless you're jungling (and even that, loljunglenerf), the only runes which are clearly noticeable would be MP5. I mean if you're going to stomp someone, you're gonna stomp them hard because you're good at the game...right?

3) Even if you had both, you don't know all enemies yet, you don't know a lot of tactics enemy can use, or builds, or simply you didn't play enough to learn to 'read' enemy champion movement, there is always someone who goes aggressive from start and other who like to stay way far and suddenly assassin you, both can happen with same champion
    Okay, so he's inexperienced... so are seemingly 90% of the people I play with/against in ranked. He'll be fine.
    4) You don't know how much hero selection at start make different, simple example if you pick Kassadin while your team's support is Taric is a big no, you know have 4 melee champs, you make enemy team have much easier life to spam aoe spells, a balanced team usually 3melee 2ranged (any role) or 2tanky melee 3ranged, I played games were 4 ranged and the only melee I'm forced to play a pure tank role and yet I don't survive usually because 1 melee is a mistake
    I donno about you but I can't think of many times when this would matter if you're just starting out.

TLDR; Chill the hell out, I'd infer that people in ranked are more awful than he is simply on the basis that he actually speaks seemingly coherent English.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is something mainly morals, some people ninja loot items in wow in LFG since it has no punish, I never did that any day
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

Deleted
    It is something mainly morals, some people ninja loot items in wow in LFG since it has no punish, I never did that any day
    Me neither, I fail to see how that's relevant though.

A more accurate comparison would be going into LFD dungeons with 308 gear when it requires 320 while your 360 tanking set is in the bag. Even then, I still do not see it because I can't remember a single time where I was the reason my team lost, ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Lycoris View Post
    Me neither, I fail to see how that's relevant though.

A more accurate comparison would be going into LFD dungeons with 308 gear when it requires 320 while your 360 tanking set is in the bag. Even then, I still do not see it because I can't remember a single time where I was the reason my team lost, ever.
    I second this. If better gear in WoW is equal to more skill/experience in LoL, then in both cases, you will gain more from playing a higher difficulty. I do understand the fear though, Blizzard enforced such requirement mainly to prevent frustration from playing with people that are "undergeared". Reflecting that on LoL, yes, you could end up with people that haven't experienced all aspects of the game.

Deleted
    I really don't understand the basis of this. "Don't play because you'll get counterpicked."
    So what?
    Re-read what you are replying for maybe? Actually more like "don't play because you will counterpick yourself". I can't count how many times I've seen people picking i.e. Karth AFTER enemy picked Talon and then say "stfu, i only play kartus".

Unless you're jungling (and even that, loljunglenerf), the only runes which are clearly noticeable would be MP5. I mean if you're going to stomp someone, you're gonna stomp them hard because you're good at the game...right?
    Very, very, very very wrong. How about instead of assuming that the enemy laner is terrible and you will stomp him regardless let's go with "enemy laner is equally skilled, but has runes so you're fucked."?

Okay, so he's inexperienced... so are seemingly 90% of the people I play with/against in ranked. He'll be fine.
    That's where that famous elo hell comes from. Bad players starting ranked the moment they can click on it. Just because 90% of low elo has made this error does not mean everyone should.
    I donno about you but I can't think of many times when this would matter if you're just starting out.
    I can. Every single of those games you had where everything just fell apart the moment team fights started.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Re-read what you are replying for maybe? Actually more like "don't play because you will counterpick yourself". I can't count how many times I've seen people picking i.e. Karth AFTER enemy picked Talon and then say "stfu, i only play kartus".
    Yeah, you'll have to fight uphill, big dealio.
    Very, very, very very wrong. How about instead of assuming that the enemy laner is terrible and you will stomp him regardless let's go with "enemy laner is equally skilled, but has runes so you're fucked."?
    Mostly because the people you start out fighting in ranked are awful. It's very unlikely you'll fight people of your own skill level the moment you start out if you're generally good at games.

That's where that famous elo hell comes from. Bad players starting ranked the moment they can click on it. Just because 90% of low elo has made this error does not mean everyone should.
    Elo hell, huh.
    AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, good one.
    I can. Every single of those games you had where everything just fell apart the moment team fights started.
    99% of the time, teamfights fall apart when you're ahead because they're 4v5, you'd have to be ridiculously closely matched for it to matter, which doesn't happen when you start out unless you're flatout bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    1) There is Elo hell, it is insanely famous
    2) Many games I played dominate lane phase but lose team fights, simple example is top lane Garon/Darius, who have very strong early game but start to fall mid-late game, where lane phase end and team fights start, Yorick is another example of very good laning bad team fight unless another player - the AD carry - farmed well, Heimer is very good laning phase joke in team fights
    3) I didn't talk or mean the gear at all in LFG from wow, I meant I don't ninja items in LFG, main reason I don't test weird builds like AD lux in LoL games, if I want to test something I go AI game, I have over 300ai game I always try a champion in AI game first and even few games until I set on his best runes/items, I don't test him in game where I may ruin 4 other people's time because I'm selfish bastard
    Thrall

Deleted
    Yeah, you'll have to fight uphill, big dealio.
    When you counterpick yourself you lose the lane for your team before the game even started, possibly causing your entire team to lose by being inflexible and bad. If you see nothing wrong with that I've nothing else to say.
    Mostly because the people you start out fighting in ranked are awful. It's very unlikely you'll fight people of your own skill level the moment you start out if you're generally good at games.
    Not really. That's called bias, you see yourself as far better than you actually are and the opposite for others. If you start the game with assumption "Well, I have AD runes on Karthus but whatever, I'm better than him so I'll win" YOU WILL LOSE... unless unbelievably lucky.
    Elo hell, huh.
    AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, good one.
    You're good at being a smartass. If only you were as good at coherent replies...

If by elo hell you understand "low elo filled with terrible players" it exists. It's just that everyone there belongs in it.
    99% of the time, teamfights fall apart when you're ahead because they're 4v5, you'd have to be ridiculously closely matched for it to matter, which doesn't happen when you start out unless you're flatout bad.
    That's simply wrong. All those times when you won the lanes but lost the teamfights? Yep, that's the bad team composition showing.